No announcement yet.

Forget the Alamo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. When the headline relates racism to the Alamo, then does not provide any additional support for the theory, I'm out.

It's just woke-ism.

Comment

Appreciate everyone stating their views. Good stuff!

Comment

People are being taught that they are nothing but victims of racism so racism is all they see in everything including history.

Mexico allowed anglos to settle Texas as a buffer against the Commanche. Many of those settlers brought slaves with them, but this had little to do with the causes of the rebellion against Santa Anna. In fact, slavery was gradually being abolished before Stephen F Austin received is first empresario grant so the Anglos who came to Texas came so knowing that slavery would soon be fully abolished. Slavery was fully abolished by 1830, five years before the rebellion.

The causes of the rebellion were Santa Anna's coup and the overthrow of the Mexican constitution of 1824 and the fighting was not limited to Coahuila y Tejas. Several other Mexican states erupted in rebellion: Yucatan, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Zacatecas, etc. Texas was but one theatre in a greater war.

There were many Tejano defenders of the Alamo who fought to defend the Constitution of 1824 and they played a critical role in Tejas winning their struggle for independence.

It is true that the Tejano's involvement in the Texas Revolution has been minimalized in the past. It is also true that the Anglo's attitudes towards the institution of slavery put them in direct political opposition to Mexico. However, to claim that the Texas Revolution was fought over slavery is nothing but a revisionist's poor attempt to re-write well a documented history.
        Last edited by backwoods; 07-15-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Driving a car forward by observing the road via the rear view mirrors. Just more divisiveness. Anyone with an IQ over 70 knows history is written with rose colored glasses. Time to concentrate on progressing society forward in a positive manner so I wont add this to my reading list, not that there is much room for additions. Judging the people of the far past by modern moral standards is either a form of **** brained cognitive processes or a calculated move to divide, either way I have no taste for it.

“Neither the brave nor bold will write us the stories told”.

Comment

Hey, AGMTB07. thank you for the quick version. Like I said, I will not buy nor read this carp.

Comment

To add to this, there was a good point I heard someone made pertaining to todays view on history. It seems there are more "historians" our there today who want to overwrite history, rather than to add & expand upon our history.

Comment

That’ll be required reading in Texas History class before too long.

Comment

I would be interested to see what they say. Obviously they are trying to stir the pot based on the title which is going to gain a lot of attention with a specific demographic of people. With that said I dont think it is a stretch to say that the version we were all told up to this point is more than likely embellished some so I will at least hear them out. I think it will become apparent pretty quick if it is the persons intent just to trash the Alamo or present some alternate information that is based on something.

Comment

That's a hard pass for me as in HELL NO.

I'm currently as to why you want to read it though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

As a descendent of a defender of the Alamo, HELL NO!!

Comment

Answer: Not anytime soon.

Please bump this thread back to the top when you done reading the book Simek and give us your honest thoughts.

Comment

Do think all the Austin hippies have figured out yet that (Stephen F) Austin and William Travis (the county's namesake) were slave owners? I reckon a petition to change the names is coming soon.

Comment

Let's just say that it takes very little courage to write "Forget the Alamo" in 2021. Deconstruct the Caucasian pioneers of the great state of Texas? Well, you will get standing ovations all over the Northeast and West Coast. The Texans are pretty polite, they won't agree but they also won't turn into an ANTIFA mob like in Portland, OR. I'm not very impressed by people that publish majority opinion as "fact." Every article I have read about this book or every excerpt I have read has mostly opinion in it, rather than previously unknown facts.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Hey, AGMTB07. thank you for the quick version. Like I said, I will not buy nor read this carp.
                              Me either, I don't even like carp personally.

Comment

Nah, forget that bull**** book.

Comment

Working...
                                X