Changes to this year's TPWD draw hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to this year's TPWD draw hunts?

Anyone notice any changes this year that stand out?

One thing I noticed when I went to apply was that the Davis Mountains Javelina hunt no longer allows you to harvest Aoudad. I've only been there once but we saw a ton of them in the park and didn't see any javelina. That was one hunt a really was hoping to draw one day with the chance of an aoudad.

The new Neches River WMA is another new area to hunt that I noticed.

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
    Anyone notice any changes this year that stand out?

One thing I noticed when I went to apply was that the Davis Mountains Javelina hunt no longer allows you to harvest Aoudad. I've only been there once but we saw a ton of them in the park and didn't see any javelina. That was one hunt a really was hoping to draw one day with the chance of an aoudad.

The new Neches River WMA is another new area to hunt that I noticed.
    The dirty little secret is that TP&W personnel are allowed to harvest hogs and exotics year round on many of the WMA's, yet they severely limit participation by the public.

Comment

Wow. Went on that hunt once and there were tons of aoudad.

Comment

I'd like to draw that Davis Mountains hunt if for no other reason than You can see the ranch where I worked one summer while in college from those mountains. Beautiful country.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
          The dirty little secret is that TP&W personnel are allowed to harvest hogs and exotics year round on many of the WMA's, yet they severely limit participation by the public.
          ....and people that work at Popeye's get free chicken

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by andre3k; 07-07-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

How do they do that with guest in the park most of the year?

Comment

most of those guys went to school for 4- 8 years so they could make very little money working in the absolute middle of nowhere at a WMA. If they are allowed to shoot some hogs and exotics as a side benefit to dedicating their lives to running a WMA that's fine with me.

From what I saw at Davis Mountains(it is a state park anyway and not a wma) last summer if anyone is shooting those aoudads they aren't doing a good job of it. We saw probably 50+ of them on the hillside above the campgrounds in the one afternoon we spent there.

Comment

They moved the South Llano Exotic hunt from October to January. Also, the deadline for Exotics applications is now Nov 1 instead of Aug 15.

Comment

I think they are afraid some yahoo is going to mistake an aoudad for a bighorn.

Comment

True, ranger at Devils river SNA let this gem slip to our group. I could tell he wished he wouldn't have said it as soon as it was out of his mouth. Aoudad are a big money draw with the price of sheep hunts now, probably selling hunts under the table.

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                      How do they do that with guest in the park most of the year?
                      When no body is looking hunting suppressed

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                        True, ranger at Devils river SNA let this gem slip to our group. I could tell he wished he wouldn't have said it as soon as it was out of his mouth. Aoudad are a big money draw with the price of sheep hunts now, probably selling hunts under the table.
                        Where do y’all come up with this crap lol stupid rumor to even start

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          Where do y’all come up with this crap lol stupid rumor to even start
                          Not really a rumor, wanna be game warden there named Kerr Wardlaw said some stuff when we were there that made you go hmmm. I think him and TPW parted ways since.
                          Last edited by bossbowman; 07-07-2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                            ....and people that work at Popeye's get free chicken

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            I've heard this for years and I don't have a problem with it. The staff I've met have been great and I've had successful hunts. For what they earn and where they have to live I say more power to them to take an occasional animal.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              Not really a rumor, wanna be game warden there named Kerr Wardlaw said some stuff when we were there that made you go hmmm. I think him and TPW parted ways since.
                              I’m talking about selling hunts. That’s how rumors start.

Comment

Working...
                              X