No announcement yet.

How much is enough to retire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No clue how much money, but retire as early as you can afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Don’t forget to enjoy life too brother. Tomorrow is never promised. I save. And THINK I’m doing ok on the 401k/IRA front. But I do have to enjoy life. Ole Dave is bad about that advice. “Like like nobody today so you can live like nobody in the future” or something like that. Happy medium. No point in working so hard so long and not enjoying it. Your headstone won’t read “man he had a lot of money in the bank. He wished he coulda used some of it”
      Good advice here stated. Enjoy the journey to retirement because the journey will most likely be longer than retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        For those that plan to retire prior to 65, what are your plans for heath care coverage?
        I will be 64 When I retire and will have coverage until that September 1. I will be covered by Medicare starting that October1. I plan on staying in bed with my bride for the entire month of September. Lol

Comment

Where there’s a will there’s a way, I’m living proof. Been retired six years, I’ll be 70 next birthday and God has seen me through thus far.
          It all depends on how lavish or how frugal you want to live from here on out.
          But I will say, you will want to get out of debt first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t think I ever want to retire. Just scale back the volume of development deals. Even though I’m not swinging the hammers, seeing raw land turn into a warehouse/distribution center amazes me. Something primal abut building/creating and every deal is different than the last. Always something from left field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm like you, CJ. I may change my mind someday, but right now at age 54 I don't have any interest in retiring. As long as I am blessed with good health, I hope to keep working. I really enjoy what I do - mostly helping other people retire when they want to.

Comment

What you need and what you want can be two very different things.
                What you can be content with is what you have to decide.
                Abraham was the father of the Hebrew nation yet he was content to live in a tent.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

When I started looking into retiring, I saw this. To tell the truth, I was shocked.. I guess I was thinking the averages would be higher, especially for the 40's through 60's.
                  Attached Files
                  Lesto!!

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                    When I started looking into retiring, I saw this. To tell the truth, I was shocked.. I guess I was thinking the averages would be higher, especially for the 40's through 60's.
                    Wow, this chart is very surprising results.

Comment

Well at least I am above average! Man I don’t see how you could ever retire with 222,000 at 62 and make it.

Comment

We worked with an Edward Jones agent for a decade before retiring. He had some very sophisticated financial modeling software that allowed our particular situation to be analyzed and forecasts prepared.

IMHO, some people are good with doing this themselves. Others need help from a professional. Like going to a doctor or mechanic- and they need to be payed to earn a living.

There are certainly other financial services firms. And at least 2 guys posting on TBH who are with EJ. PM me for names, I don’t think it’s appropriate to post their names.

It worked well for us. Here’s my proof- the view from the dining room in our retirement home as I post.

Comment

VERY nice, Bill. Like you, I've spent the last 15 years talking to different financial advisors, going to their free dinners/seminars, and talking to them on the phone. Like you, I would highly suggest folks to at least sit down and talk to someone at least once, discuss their retirement plans, and see what they have to say.
                          Lesto!!

Comment

How much is enough to retire ?

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            We worked with an Edward Jones agent for a decade before retiring. He had some very sophisticated financial modeling software that allowed our particular situation to be analyzed and forecasts prepared.

IMHO, some people are good with doing this themselves. Others need help from a professional. Like going to a doctor or mechanic- and they need to be payed to earn a living.

There are certainly other financial services firms. And at least 2 guys posting on TBH who are with EJ. PM me for names, I don’t think it’s appropriate to post their names.

It worked well for us. Here’s my proof- the view from the dining room in our retirement home as I post.

We did the same. Got started with our EJ rep in Georgetown in 2007. I was able to retire a few years earlier than I had planned/thought I would. I have really enjoyed the working relationship with our advisor. I laughed at him when he said, “I know you. You’ll get bored doing honey do’s and go back to work at least part time.” 18 months later he nailed that to. Lol. I work a few days a week doing grunt work for a little local company. No worries, no stress, just some good “exercise” and a little extra cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Roscoe; 06-29-2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

As Bill & Les have commented I highly suggest discussing your future with a professional in this field. It’s time and money well spent imho. We have used one for several years and the fees are minuscule in big scheme of things. In our case it is been very well worth it. Just get someone you can having a business relationship with and trust.
                              Last edited by tps7742; 06-29-2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Bill let me know if you ever need someone to watch your place while you are gone!!!!
                                We are planning on having a place in Idaho to retire to, similar to yours… very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X