Dealing with losing a good dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does this suck so bad? I need good vibes from TBH on this one. The crazy thing is… she really wasn’t our dog. Sally was the Barnum Loop community dog. She had her place, but on weekends she would meet us at the gate and chill with us most of the weekend. She hunkered down with us in Feb during the big freeze for days. She had her quirks for sure, but that’s what made her cool. The neighbors who technically kept her are older and were happy for a Sally break. We would come to learn she made the rounds to all the houses on the loop. She never was hungry!

Like all dogs that roam, she met an early fate a few days ago. As we always feared, it was a vehicle that did it. We were not up there, so details are limited and that’s how they will remain.

You guys have all lost dogs before. I have been through it as well. Was at my place yesterday . Was brutal not having that dog meet me at the gate or hang next to me while I tested the hammock. Any good thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCFF729C-2702-41D9-8E77-9A07AE7C7F46.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	25252158

You made her life more enjoyable in the time she was here just as you enjoyed having her around. That's about as good as you could have asked for or she could have expected from you. That's about all I know to say.

Sucks losing a dog no doubt.

Comment

Hard enough to replace a good dog. Wouldn’t know how to begin replacing a community dog.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        You made her life more enjoyable in the time she was here just as you enjoyed having her around. That's about as good as you could have asked for or she could have expected from you. That's about all I know to say.

Sucks losing a dog no doubt.

I agree with this 100%. You gave her love and made the most of her life. It doesn’t take away the pain, but it helps. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Time is your only friend in this case...getting another puppy is really the only total fix for me when losing my own.

Comment

The pain and sorrow you feel only means that you have something some folks don’t have. I can’t put a handle on your feelings, but I love my dogs, the one I’ve had from a pup, as well as the one who showed up on our doorstep last September. They are as different as night and day, but it’s gonna be a rough day around here when either of them pass. I find it easier to forgive dogs than I do people and they don’t have unreasonable expectations of us like some humans do. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

It’s like losing a member of your family, for me it was and it was horrible. It took well over a year before I even thought about getting another dog. Time is the only thing.

Comment

The wife and I went out and adopted one the very next day. The best move I ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by MnM View Post
                  Hard enough to replace a good dog. Wouldn’t know how to begin replacing a community dog.
                  If it's like here, some p.o.s. will dump one out. Had a border collie wander up one summer that lived out the rest of her life with us. She was a goodun'.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has commented. Your words are appreciated. She was a dumped off dog situation. Seems like that is common. Funny how these dogs, once they realize they are loved, return it 10x. She must have had a gun run in early on…all someone had to do was show a gun (not shoot it) and Sally went home. Planning on another long hike in 2022… after that it will be time to dog up! My wife and I agreed that we will look for one or two that need a little extra love. As I said, the return pays off.

Comment

Sorry for your loss Sir.

Nothing like losing a good dog.

Comment

Sorry for y’all’s loss . We know the feeling . We are going through this right now too . Put our Mastiff down yesterday.

Comment

That's just it brother, remember the good thoughts. I still miss my ol buddy, Teebow.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. My dogs are my family and my 2 legged family are just people.

Comment

Take deep breaths and keep breathing. Time heals all wounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X