Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA - Please don't kill snakes unless you know they are deadly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    If you have chickens you try to kill egg stealers and chicken killers. We didnt discriminate. Used a .410 on most snakes. Chicken killers usually a 22-250. I am scared of snakes- call me what you want but I guarantee Ive walked into plenty of situations most on here would not. It is not something that is rational but cant stop it
    I find those chicken snakes in my coop all the time.
    Grab them by the head and sling them as far as I can.

Comment

I usually kill snakes but tonight I let this one go. I’m trying to be better at snake management. I let my 3 year old watch it for a while and then we let it be.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        [ATTACH]1052081[/ATTACH]
        Hells yeah! Hope to be the guy on the front horse one day!

Comment

To me a harmless snake ain't no different than a toad. I know some people are scared of those too. They don't even do nothin. A toad will pee on you if you pick it up. So don't pick it up. Same way you can go about not getting bit by a snake. Never have been bit by a harmless snake I didn't pick up and mess with. Haven't been bit by a rattlesnake I didn't mess with come to think of it.

A lot less swelling involved with toad pee or harmless snake teeth though I noticed.

Comment

If you kill the rat snakes and bull snakes, I guarantee you that the copperheads will show up next. Proven it time and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              To me a harmless snake ain't no different than a toad. I know some people are scared of those too. They don't even do nothin. A toad will pee on you if you pick it up. So don't pick it up. Same way you can go about not getting bit by a snake. Never have been bit by a harmless snake I didn't pick up and mess with. Haven't been bit by a rattlesnake I didn't mess with come to think of it.

A lot less swelling involved with toad pee or harmless snake teeth though I noticed.
              Good way of putting it.

Comment

I grew up being taught to be afraid of pretty much every snake that I saw. At some point in my life I realize that I don't like being afraid of anything so I always face my fears. Now when I see a snake I step back take a breath and look at it closely.

Most of them get a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
                  i grew up being taught to be afraid of pretty much every snake that i saw. At some point in my life i realize that i don't like being afraid of anything so i always face my fears. Now when i see a snake i step back take a breath and look at it closely.

Most of them get a pass.
                  [ATTACH]1052095[/ATTACH]

Comment

Comment

A friend of mine raises rats and mice to feed his snake collection, which numbers over two hundred different varieties. He does the reptile show circuit and is making bank. About a third of the collection is venomous.
                      Here’s the kicker. He’s one of a handful of people in the U S that raise Bushmasters. About 20% of people bitten survive their bite. He’s got a couple of males and three females. Hold on to your seat. He sells to zoos and some individuals all over the world and gets $5,000.00 per snake. He’s sold out every year and makes around $70,000.00 per year on bushmasters alone. That amount varies with clutch size as well. They are kept in a locked room inside a locked building. He took a female out while we were there. She was seven feet long. I’ve got a video but I don’t know how to post it. I’ve got a friend that got charged by a three legged fawn one time. He’s terrified of deer now and shoots every one he sees!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        A friend of mine raises rats and mice to feed his snake collection, which numbers over two hundred different varieties. He does the reptile show circuit and is making bank. About a third of the collection is venomous.
                        Here’s the kicker. He’s one of a handful of people in the U S that raise Bushmasters. About 20% of people bitten survive their bite. He’s got a couple of males and three females. Hold on to your seat. He sells to zoos and some individuals all over the world and gets $5,000.00 per snake. He’s sold out every year and makes around $70,000.00 per year on bushmasters alone. That amount varies with clutch size as well. They are kept in a locked room inside a locked building. He took a female out while we were there. She was seven feet long. I’ve got a video but I don’t know how to post it. I’ve got a friend that got charged by a three legged fawn one time. He’s terrified of deer now and shoots every one he sees!
                        Glad to hear your friend is doing well with his business, However, I am very much opposed to individuals importing and raising non native snakes. I agree with keeping them in zoos with professional management and some sort of oversight or for research. But keeping them is your garage to impress your buds that you have some bad ***** critter falls outside the lines. What happens if a mating pair escape? Look at the everglades. Look at the nutria in Louisianna.

Comment

Killing non-poisonous snakes is just plain ignorant. I have no better word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                            Glad to hear your friend is doing well with his business, However, I am very much opposed to individuals importing and raising non native snakes. I agree with keeping them in zoos with professional management and some sort of oversight or for research. But keeping them is your garage to impress your buds that you have some bad ***** critter falls outside the lines. What happens if a mating pair escape? Look at the everglades. Look at the nutria in Louisianna.
                            Most likely that would be a death sentence to the snakes in the long run. Take that same scenario and put them in Florida and they might survive. Snakes are very temperamental creatures. You can't take one out of its natural habitat and just expect it to live anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                              You missed the point brother. He’s very selective on who sees his collection. It’s his business. And yes I agree with you. What happens if he gets nailed and one of those bushmasters escape? Even with a redundancy system set up there’s always a chance. And Florida is a perfect example. Those pythons are ruining the Everglades.
                              As far as killing every snake I see, not gonna happen. I do however understand killing venomous snakes around your home, especially if you have children. Personally me and my son had seen a couple on a friends property and they got a pass. Ask a grain farmer how much snakes potentially save him/her in loss from rodents or birds. Think about all the king snakes or bull snakes that are killed that actually eat venomous snakes. All food for thought. Snakes have their place in the eco system and do serve a purpose.

Comment

I raise chickens so pretty much all snakes get killed around the house. I don't fear them, they fear me.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X