Flying with fly fishing gear, carry on only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with fly fishing gear, carry on only

Guys trip planned to Jackson WY in July for some fly fishing. Looking to do carry on only if possible. Will have the following gear:

4 piece fly rod in case 32” long
    4 days of clothes
    Breathable waders with boots
    Fly reel and vest

I know I’ll have to leave nippers and such at home, but I hear that TSA will allow the flies and such on board.

Can I strap the fly rod case to a small duffel and then carry a backpack as a personal item?

Just curious as I’m sure some of y’all have traveled with fly fishing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have done this when I had a 3 piece 4wt, I carried it in addition to my carry on and personal item. This was on southwest

Comment

I have carried on your exact setup many times. Never a problem. I had clippers in my bag the last time and they didn’t say anything.

Comment

nippers are fine on Delta.

I fly with my entire vest, clothes, net, reels, waders, and boots in a small rolling bag, then my fly rod in a case strapped to the outside. They call that one carry-on.

Comment

I’ve done it several times. They never had a problem with nippers in my experience. Also is it a guided trip or do you plan on fishing in Teton National Park?

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
            I’ve done it several times. They never had a problem with nippers in my experience. Also is it a guided trip or do you plan on fishing in Teton National Park?

Most of the park is closed to fishing in July. Found that out the hard way lol

Comment

Call a local tackle shop. Offer them $50 to let you FedEx your stuff to them. Pick it up there. Ship it back home when you are finished.

Comment

Should not be a problem at all carrying that on. You get two items to carry on. One in the overhead and one under the seat in front of you. As long as they will fit those two places you are good to go.

Enjoy our great state while you are here!

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                  Should not be a problem at all carrying that on. You get two items to carry on. One in the overhead and one under the seat in front of you. As long as they will fit those two places you are good to go.

Enjoy our great state while you are here!

Yeah looking forward to it. It’s not the first time I’ve fished the Jackson area so I’m pretty familiar with it.

Comment

Flying into Salt Lake City in July with all my fly junk, it’s no problem, same with Jackson…

Comment

All of this is good to know.

Comment

You don’t really need waders to fish anywhere in the Jackson area.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          You don’t really need waders to fish anywhere in the Jackson area.

Yeah I know, just don’t feel like dealing with the wet clothes.

Comment

Working...
                          X