UTV on Surfside Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTV on Surfside Beach

With TX passing the allowance of ATVs on public roads with 35mph or less does this change the rule to now allow SXS on the beach since its considered a public area with a posted speed of 15mph.

Just curious?

I thought they were already allowed on the beach. I know they are allowed on Crystal beach with a yearly permit. Is surfside different? Headed down there this weekend and was planning on bringing my Mule.

Comment

I’m not sure about UTVs. I’m down there a lot and don’t recall seeing any, but it is loaded up with golf carts.

Comment

Just checked the rules, UTVs are not allowed currently. That may change, I’m not familiar with the law that passed.

Comment

I can’t seem to find anything about ATVs now being legal. I assume cities would still be able to pass their own laws banning use? Any requirements as far as safety equipment (lights, horn, mirrors etc.)?

Comment

Just say you're with the "turtle people" and you're good.
            Last edited by ultrastealth; 05-26-2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

would be good if they did allow UTVs on the beaches

Comment

Originally posted by Simple Man View Post
                I thought they were already allowed on the beach. I know they are allowed on Crystal beach with a yearly permit. Is surfside different? Headed down there this weekend and was planning on bringing my Mule.
                Crystal beach yes you can, Surfside you cannot.

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                I’m not sure about UTVs. I’m down there a lot and don’t recall seeing any, but it is loaded up with golf carts.
                Yeah the golf carts are permitted, but they say no ATVs. Was curious since the information could be old and not updated.

Just checked the rules, UTVs are not allowed currently. That may change, I’m not familiar with the law that passed.
                I'm going to call the PD down there and see if I can get an answer.

Here is the link to the DMV site https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...nique-vehicles

Comment

****UPDATE****

I just spoke to Surfside sheriffs dispatch and they said as long as the vehicle is registered for on road use then it is allowed on the beach. Per the TX DMV the registration requirements for an ATV is the following:

=The TxDMV is required to title off-highway vehicles (ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and Sand Rails), but these vehicles are not eligible for registration. Off-highway vehicles are eligible to receive an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate, which may be obtained from your county tax assessor-collector’s office. For Driver License requirements to operate any of these vehicles, contact the Texas Department of Public Safety. A Texas Use Tax will apply to vehicles purchased in other states. Find details on paying use tax visit the Texas Comptroller website.

Use this information at your own risk since I was able to speak to only the dispatcher.
                  Last edited by canny; 05-26-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

So no mirror, turn signal, or triangle requirement? That’s interesting

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
                      So no mirror, turn signal, or triangle requirement? That’s interesting
                      I edited my response above, but it does not appear so. I'm going to reach out to tax office and see.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                        ****UPDATE****

I just spoke to Surfside sheriffs dispatch and they said as long as the vehicle is registered for on road use then it is allowed on the beach. Per the TX DMV the registration requirements for an ATV is the following:

=The TxDMV is required to title off-highway vehicles (ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and Sand Rails), but these vehicles are not eligible for registration. Off-highway vehicles are eligible to receive an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate, which may be obtained from your county tax assessor-collector’s office. For Driver License requirements to operate any of these vehicles, contact the Texas Department of Public Safety. A Texas Use Tax will apply to vehicles purchased in other states. Find details on paying use tax visit the Texas Comptroller website.

Use this information at your own risk since I was able to speak to only the dispatcher.
                        I think the kicker is that it has to be registered for on road use, not off highway use. The Surfside beach rules page says it has to be street legal basically.

Comment

I think the kicker is that it has to be registered for on road use, not off highway use. The Surfside beach rules page says it has to be street legal basically.
                          Which wouldn't that be the same? If the license plate makes it legal for roads under 35mph then isn't it street legal? Just curious

Comment

Do you have any details on this? how long ago did it pass?
                            Based on the link provided, you need to display a slow moving vehicle sign.

I'm curious as a few weeks ago I was riding in my neighborhood on my 4-wheeler and was stopped by the police. He said it was an off-road vehicle so I can't drive it on the road. I didn't contest, I just told him I apologize and wasn't aware and went home.
                            I would like to know however as we like to ride our Ranger around and don't want any issues.

Originally posted by canny View Post
                            With TX passing the allowance of ATVs on public roads with 35mph or less does this change the rule to now allow SXS on the beach since its considered a public area with a posted speed of 15mph.

Just curious?

Comment

Link posted in #8.

ATVs, ROVs, UTVs and Sand Rails with an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate may be operated on roads in the following situations:

In a master planned community with a uniform set of restrictive covenants and a county or municipality-approved plat

On a road with a posted speed limit of not more than 35 mph, during the daytime and not more than two miles from the location where it is usually parked for transportation to and from a golf course

To cross intersections, including a road or street that has a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph.

Additionally, cities and certain counties may authorize operation of ATVs, ROVs, UTVs, and Sand Rails on roads within the boundaries of the city or within unincorporated areas of certain counties. The ATV, ROV, UTV and Sand Rail must display an Off-Highway Vehicle license plate when operated on roads authorized by the city or county. Operation may be authorized only on roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less. If operated on the roads at a speed of 25 mph or less, an ATV, ROV, UTV and Sand Rail is required to display a slow-moving vehicle emblem.
                              Last edited by canny; 05-26-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X