No announcement yet.

So they want to fuse L 3-4-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Scott White Insurance. They did give me a name of a Neurosurgeon in Scott White Temple. Before I do anything I'll get rid of a few pounds.

Comment

in 1989 i was 23 and had 2 herniated disk L3,4 and 5,6 they wanted to fuse, Doctor told more or less how much i would be able to bend over perhaps 15`deg. that scarred me, so i got a second opinion, from a another doctor, he went in and did discectomy on both, and i was able to avoid the fusion. second opinions are well worth it, he said that perhaps i would need more surgery in 10 years that never happened.. thank God, hope you can get the help you truly need to find
      just my 2 cents

Comment

My Bride had her l4-l5 fused on 02/12/21 by Dr. Barnett with Baylor. He did her first back surgery 11 years ago ( microdisectomy) and told her then live as long as you can before getting this fusion. This last deer season was the toughest for her, constant pain and discomfort doing what she enjoyed the most.

Now being 3 months post op, she has been cleared for all functional movements and is feeling really good.

I wish you the best of luck and just from an outsiders perspective, stay positive on the bad recovery days... it will get better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My advice. Get yourself ready. Walk or ride a stationary bike everyday as many times as you can. I was to the point my left leg was almost dragging. I was only able to walk about 3/4 mile before it was unbearable. Id would walk 4-5 times every day. After surgery I walked. Started as soon as I woke up. Was walking around the hallway same day in hospital. Within 2 months i was 3 plus miles a day everyday. Im 10 post and still walking.
          Attached Files

Comment

thanks. Will need to get stationary bike. Right knee is almost bone on bone. Left knee not far behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've had two back surgeries and now I'm out of options. I do get relief from muscle relaxers but cannot work when I'm taking them. We have LTD insurance that pays 60 % of your base pay tax free. So I'm 61 and fixing to go LTD in July. I can stay on it until I'm 67 and stay on company insurance for two years so I should be set.

I pray you find relief. Nothing worse than back pain IMO.
              Last edited by Dmck; 05-26-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Whatever you can do to help with your recovery. It is a horrible feeling to be in pain 24/7. I know the struggle to get 2 hours of sleep. The surgery few days after surgery are somewhat painful. But it is just surgery site pain and muscle pain. I was immediately relieved of the nerve pain down my left side. Whatever Dr you decide on ask post op recovery/rehab plan. Start it today and get yourself ready. I dripped 20# so it would be easier to get in/out of bed and off chair. Learn to get in/out of bed before you do anything

Comment

Originally posted by Dmck View Post
                  I've had two back surgeries and now I'm out of options. I do get relief from muscle relaxers but cannot work when I'm taking them. We have LTD insurance that pays 60 % of your base pay tax free. So I'm 61 and fixing to go LTD in July. I can stay on it until I'm 67 and stay on company insurance for two years so I should be set.

I pray you find relief. Nothing worse than back pain IMO.

Before you start social security check with you disability insurance. My wife was pn disability insurance and when social security kicked in she had to give it all back to disability insurance. I forgot the term they used for that maybe subrogation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                    Before you start social security check with you disability insurance. My wife was pn disability insurance and when social security kicked in she had to give it all back to disability insurance. I forgot the term they used for that maybe subrogation.

Thank you I'll check on that today.

I think the insurance company provides an advocate to see if I qualify for Social Security disability. And if I do it reduces what they pay. But I'll make sure of it today.

Comment

I have S1/L5/L4/L3 fused. No big deal

Comment

I have my entire lumbar and 3 of the 5 in cervical fused it’s definitely not fun but in a few years you will be a little stiff but the pain will almost be gone completely. Best advice I can give is don’t wait until you’re an old man to do it the younger the better

Comment

Originally posted by Passafist View Post
                          I have my entire lumbar and 3 of the 5 in cervical fused it’s definitely not fun but in a few years you will be a little stiff but the pain will almost be gone completely. Best advice I can give is don’t wait until you’re an old man to do it the younger the better

Not sure if 69 is an old man or not

Comment

Stan, please consider getting a second opinion. I'm not knocking who you have with S&W in Temple, but that's where my wife's 1st happened. Do some checking with anyone you can ask or get reviews from on the net about particular surgeons. I've seen reviews on the wife's current surgeon and they were good. I have also been told by a friend to only go to Houston. I don't recall that surgeon's name.

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                              I had back surgery at 31 years old and I'm 32 now. May 5th marked the 1 year mark for me. After playing around with it for the better part of 15 years and the past 2 being the absolute worst pain I ever encountered it was the best decision I ever made. I havent hurt not one time since I had it. They fused L4 L5 & S1 on me. Id wished I would have gotten it done about 5 years ago to be honest. Best of luck in your decision and to you. Here is my before and after picture.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                              That’s exactly what they’re wanting to do to me. After 2 failed microdiscomy, this is my next option. Had my third micro 3 months ago and still having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                                Not sure if 69 is an old man or not

Had my last one at 50 it wasn’t fun but I can do everything now I couldn’t do before. If you’re in decent health (upper body strength) you will be for the better. I’m still working and hunting. Just have to keep moving if you stop that’s when it will go downhill

Comment

Working...
                                X