Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question

I will be running under ground 200 amp service to a electrical panel that will be powering my well only for now but will eventually be run to my future shop by September. I know 2/O wire is recommend, but question I have is there a sheath with all three wires already in it or do I have to buy all three in single strands. This will be a good stretch, about 980' with a jumper halfway. And what size conduit will I need?

2/0 isn’t rated for 200A and certainly not @ 980’. You will be much better off having the power company set a few poles and bring it closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If I read your question correctly you intend to run 980’ from the service to a future shop. If that is your intention 200 amps then you will need 700MCM Copper or 1000MCM Aluminum. Hope I somehow miss read your intention.

If I were dealing with that much distance I would have my service closer to my intended need.

For help in determining your wire size due to distance and current you might find this link very helpful www.paigewire.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        2/0 isn’t rated for 200A and certainly not @ 980’. You will be much better off having the power company set a few poles and bring it closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        This.

Comment

Yep, more poles for sure. Will save you money and headache running that size conductor. You can go underground but would have the power company run that and maybe set you a transformer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If running URD wire, wouldn’t hurt to see what the price difference is from your electrical provider compared to what you’ll spend. Especially depending on how far the power pole is from the shop. Save you some money from when the wire goes bad from pulling too many amps and burns up When shop is hooked up. A lot of instances like this, we run overhead to wells. & once you get shop up you can piggy back off that pole & go URD.

Comment

Glad I asked. I was just going to try and save a little money and dig the 4' trench myself, lay the conduit and have wire pulled so they could just hook up when service was installed. There will be a transformer splitting the difference so I guess it will be two 490' pulls. One from the original box to the transformer to be installed at time of service hook up and then from the transformer to the panel. Overhead is not out the question but last I heard cost was about the same. So I would rather keep it under ground.

The point I will be getting power from is down hill from the location I plan on putting the shop and closer to the neighbors. I have three, we all have 20 acre pastures and pretty evenly spaced out. I'd like to keep it that way. Not that their annoying or anything both great folks but would like some privacy between us. This will also be our home location in the next few years hopefully.

My power provider requires that under ground power must be burried a minimum of 4' and be encased in no less than schedule 40 conduit. What size will I need for 750 KCMIL?

Thanks for the reply's.
              Last edited by Muddy Bud; 07-06-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Probably looking at a 4” conduit to keep under fill capacity but 6” would probably be better. No point of crowding conduits on long runs.

Comment

4” pvc. I think your going to have problems connecting the 4” pipe in a 200 amp panel. I just don’t think it will have the depth. Next terminating the 750 to the lugs in the panel. I’m not sure you would have bending radius and a mak-a-dab to reduce the 750 to the lug in the panel.

But I’m not a expert and I’m sure someone will correct me.

Comment

At 2.5 pounds a foot I would buy a lot of wire pulling soap and a good rope to pull it with. At 7,350 pounds of wire not including drag I would use ridged 90’s so the rope don’t burn through. Oh and a good person that knows how to feed is a must.

Comment

This is why I wanted to ask here first. Looks like overhead would be the only viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                        This is why I wanted to ask here first. Looks like overhead would be the only viable option.

Ding ding plus you sit back and watch the power company do half it. I couldn’t imagine pulling 940 foot of wire.

Comment

There’s a difference in having a 200amp service and actually using 200 amps..you should be fine with 4/0 but like they said that is a very long run and you’ll encounter a bunch of ohms that may lead to voltage drop if you’re pulling a lot of load, but it will be the same overhead or underground unless they extend the primary and can set you a transformer closer

Comment

Talk to the power company.
                            1 run of 750 will not give you 200 amps at that distance...

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                              At 2.5 pounds a foot I would buy a lot of wire pulling soap and a good rope to pull it with. At 7,350 pounds of wire not including drag I would use ridged 90’s so the rope don’t burn through. Oh and a good person that knows how to feed is a must.
                              I was just about to say. He’s going to have fun pulling 750 that far without much experience. By December, we’ll have over 3 million trench feet installed this year of power cable all from 4/0 all the way up to 1250. It takes some know how and the right equipment to essentially pull a bore that long with that size cable.

OP, go overhead till you get closer to your destination. It will make life easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X