Rocky Mountain Ntnl Park trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky Mountain Ntnl Park trip

Just got back from a quick hiking trip in Colorado. Didn't get to see as much wildlife as I was hoping, but managed to get a couple good shots and some amazing views.

untitled-19 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-18 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-17 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-16 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-11 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-10 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-9 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-8 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-5 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-4 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-3 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-2 by matt rust, on Flickr

untitled-1 by matt rust, on Flickr

How was access....still by appointment with limited cars, or more open? Estes Park side or other entrance?

Comment

Beautiful pics by the way. Which lakes are those?

Comment

Still limited access but you can buy tickets in advance online pretty easily. The trails we went on were on the Estes side and were the heavier trafficked "day" trails. The first lake pic is sky pond and the second is lake of glass. Sky pond is right above Lake of glass and you have to climb a waterfall to get to those. "The Loch" is a ways below.

Comment

Awesome pics! Myself and oneisnone are flying out on Sept. 18th for a few days in RMNP. Anything you’d do differently or lessons learned? It’s our first trip with photos being the focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
            Still limited access but you can buy tickets in advance online pretty easily. The trails we went on were on the Estes side and were the heavier trafficked "day" trails. The first lake pic is sky pond and the second is lake of glass. Sky pond is right above Lake of glass and you have to climb a waterfall to get to those. "The Loch" is a ways below.
            Thanks. Have hit RMNP the last two Septembers, hoping to do it again next month. We’ll see.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
              Awesome pics! Myself and oneisnone are flying out on Sept. 18th for a few days in RMNP. Anything you’d do differently or lessons learned? It’s our first trip with photos being the focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Mid September is usually awesome for elk photos given the rut. The meadow off Fern Lake rd is filled with a pretty nice sized herd.

Comment

Thanks Chongo. Things I would do different is to go in the fall (although I got to escape the furnace that is Texas for a few days). I've heard the trails aren't as busy then, but that's on normal years. I'd also take more time to drive all the roads in the park. The deer and elk were all seen from the road. All I saw on the foot trails were some deer, small animals and birds. You'll see a trillion chipmonks, they're freaking everywhere. A little more research on where to find certain wildlife to shoot would have helped, but this trip was for my girlfriends birthday so we did whatever she wanted.

Next time I'd like to do one of the several day trails deep in the park. Oh, and make sure to take packable rain gear. IDK about when you're going but a quick thunderstorm rolls through there every day in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by CWP View Post
                  Mid September is usually awesome for elk photos given the rut. The meadow off Fern Lake rd is filled with a pretty nice sized herd.
                  That meadow had elk bedded every afternoon. The first day there was a huge bull out there. The second day I wanted to walk over and get some shots but it was mostly cows and a small bull so I lost interest.

Comment

Holy cow. I've spent a lot of time in RMNP, but I never got any pictures like that. Gorgeous

Comment

Wow! Great pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        That meadow had elk bedded every afternoon. The first day there was a huge bull out there. The second day I wanted to walk over and get some shots but it was mostly cows and a small bull so I lost interest.
                        Yep, the last few September’s there have been 2-4 nice size bulls out there along with several smaller ones and a ton of cows.

Comment

Some outstanding pics

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Great photos.

Comment

Holy crap!

That weasel photo is a top 5 photo that I have ever seen and such a unique shot!

Comment

Working...
                              X