Another poison ivy question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another poison ivy question.

Have poison ivy something fierce in my back yard. Spent a couple hours pulling it all last month, but has come back worse.

How can I kill this stuff without hurting the plants around it? It's in our beds that have massive crepe myrtles, shrubs, and other vines.

In for this but I haven't found anything that kills just the poison oak/ivy. I'm about the start spraying. It it always kills all the woody browse around it also that's not mature. If it's a mature bush or tree and you don't just saturate it then it should be fine.

Comment

You may have to kill it all. Poison Ivy grows off it's roots and spreads in existing roots of whatever is around. How big of an area is it? I would spray the entire area and just be cautious around the bases of the shrubs and crepe myrtles. Other vines easily can have I've growth in them.

Comment

Ranger Pro is a chemical that acts like Round up. Difference is it kills for an entire season! Round up tends to last a month or 2 if your lucky. Ranger Pro will kill the I've and you won't notice discoloration of it dying for 2-5 days.

Comment

I’m pretty sure ranger pro is just the generic version of roundup pro. It’s actually what I have my guys use but only because it’s a lot cheaper than roundup. If you are worried about spraying because of plants around the poison ivy you can brush the roundup on. They make a brush applicator you can get at a herbicide supply house or off the net I’m sure. You actually “paint” the roundup on the poison ivy so that you don’t spray any on your good plants.

Comment

yep, clip any roots or tiny new sprouts u see- then follow it with a heavy dose of the salt spray- i forget the name but houston garden center sells it.
            then buy rolls of that weed fabric and roll over the area, cover it with mulch and or bedding. this worked for me when i had a bad problem.. if it cant get sun it wont grow from the root

Comment

These guys can lead you in the right direction.

Rozells Spray Co.
              903-592-3398

Comment

Eraser will kill it along with everything you spray!

Comment

just now seeing this. need to kill some around a stand I need to move. thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                    Ranger Pro is a chemical that acts like Round up. Difference is it kills for an entire season! Round up tends to last a month or 2 if your lucky. Ranger Pro will kill the I've and you won't notice discoloration of it dying for 2-5 days.
                    Ranger Pro will not prevent new weeds/junk from growing for a year

Comment

The way to get rid of poison ivy is to get you a clear zip lock bag, take a few pieces of paper towels and place into the zip lock bag, spray roundup on the paper towels inside the zip lock. Take the zip lock bag and place a stem of the plant into the zip lock and wrap it around the stem and seal the bag. The ivy will then have a paper towel of round up wrapped around the stem leave the zip lock on it for several days...this should kill the plant....

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                        yep, clip any roots or tiny new sprouts u see- then follow it with a heavy dose of the salt spray- i forget the name but houston garden center sells it.
                        then buy rolls of that weed fabric and roll over the area, cover it with mulch and or bedding. this worked for me when i had a bad problem.. if it cant get sun it wont grow from the root

DO NOT USE THIS WEED FABRIC! This is the biggest scheme to ever hit the market. Yeah it will keep out weeds for a year, but then they will be so thick that you can’t get them all out because they grow through the weed barrier! I tear it out of the yards I do all the time because it is absolute junk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                          have poison ivy something fierce in my back yard. Spent a couple hours pulling it all last month, but has come back worse.

How can i kill this stuff without hurting the plants around it? It's in our beds that have massive crepe myrtles, shrubs, and other vines.
                          pee on it

Comment

20% vinegar will work.

Comment

Have not tried it myself but the bag method is supposed to work pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                              X