No announcement yet.

Deer feeder history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a pic of these early models or still use one?

Comment

I remember having Lohman? Lehman? feeders in the 80's and upgrading all the timers to Sweeneys.

We had one Day Night Feeder that would go off when enough light hit it or something. It could be a long weight on a cloudy day.

Edit: It was Lehman

Lehman H Feeders in Calallen area- Feeders, feed, corn, deer protein, show supplies, feed store

Comment

In the late 70’s my buddy parents who hunted out around Evant or Goldswaite area had some “Day/night” feeders that were made in Marlin,TX if I remember right. Square Tupperware dish and a coffee perkalator glass thing was what housed the photocell. Had a car battery sitting on top of the barrel and a car blower motor. They would feed at daylight and dark. That may have been the name of them?

A few years later a buddy of mine named Rudy who live in Elm Mott, TX made some like that called bullseye feeders. He was an electronics guy and made them where they would fire at daylight, about 7 during season and 9.5 hours later, about 4:30, instead of dark. When it fired it would set a timer inside for the 9.5 hour feed. These also had a test button on outside and were housed in a 30 cal ammo can. We ran them off a motorcycle battery. Man we thought we were something with that setup!!
        Last edited by red-fin; 08-13-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Wasn’t there also one that when it went off sounded like a gunshot or something. Vaguely remember this when I was a kid.

Comment

Started out using wooden coke boxes, set them on the ground with rebar to hold them down and fill them up. Idea was that the small squares would let the deer eat but cows couldn't get the corn out.

Comment

For some reason I remember the name on the motor being KenCo on something similar...It was a analog timer with a peg and metal wire switch the peg would hit. I'm not sure if that was the original timer on the unit or not but it was the one we had on our Marble Falls lease with the original barrel and legs..[/QUOTE]

You are right, it was Kenco. The first feeders we ever had were Kencos. My dad was so bummed when he couldn't find them anymore.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I'm not as old as some of you antiques, but we didn't have a timed feeder until 1984 or '85, they were Monarchs out of Arlington. We still have one of the barrels, a 55 gallon drum with a 5 gallon steel bucket welded to the bottom, and 4 legs. It's a stout setup.
                I aint no antique, we was broke and soda bottles was cheap. Jax beer bottles worked too.

Comment

On-time feeders out of new Caney is what I remember from the late 70’s being used at our lease in Corrigan along with 5 gallon buckets with a wooden cloths rod with a nail in it. It worked great but you had to make sure that the hole was just right or it would dump the corn . That was a long time ago.

Comment

I'm curious too. I think pea gravel additive was around 2010?

Comment

The first ones we built were in the late 70s. We used a galvanized trash can. Rebar legs. The feeder was a dump feeder. It had a box that was V shaped on both ends. When the analog timer would go off the box would flip over and dump and then the other end would fill up. The only problem was that if the box didn't latch when it flipped it would drain the whole trash can. It happened a lot of times too. We would get down to Robert Lee on a lot of Fridays to find at least one or several empty feeders.

Comment

We used 2 liter coke bottles, washed, dried and filled with corn. Throw’m on the ground and the deer would paw at them to get the corn out.

Comment

Our first one dad got while I was growing up was Tripple C. They were just getting started and ran it out of garage.
                          Timer was quartz that had a wheel and you put pins in holes at at what time you wanted it to go. You could hear it tick and used a C battery for the clock. Still working to this day!!

Comment

I built ones out of 55 gallon drums and made my own timer in ‘78. I started buying the photo eye timers in ‘83 from day nite here in Houston.

Comment

Cox feeders in Livingston

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

What I remember about the photocell feeders was when there was a lightening storm your feeder would get drained [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X