No announcement yet.

How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Pagosa springs a month ago for a week. We killed them. No big ones. This was my biggest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	24626071

Comment

Leaving the 26th for Colorado. Plan on starting at South Fork and working north to Lake City. Can't wait.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
        Leaving the 26th for Colorado. Plan on starting at South Fork and working north to Lake City. Can't wait.....
        The Rio in South Fork was really slow last week. Stimulators worked best and caught the biggest for me. Barely found a nymph bite. Almost took the long drive up to where you had told me to go last year but it's hard to get away for a whole day with four kids. Good luck. I did see the largest brown I have ever seen on a float but it spooked as we went past.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JONES45LC View Post

Medina river
          Yesterday evening
          8wt TFO BVK
          8wt konic Lamson reel
          #10 hair / foam grasshopper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Awesome job and really nice set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Derrik View Post
            Just got back from fishing 4 days in Idaho with The Lodge at Palisades Creek. Truly unbelievable fishing. Big fish on all stretches of the South Fork and main Snake. Bonus was a guy in our group caught the new Idaho state record for cutties - 32" and 15 pounds

[ATTACH]1014174[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1014175[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1014176[/ATTACH]

That's some good fish right there, especially the record cutthroat!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
              I had throat surgery in dec of last year and bought a setup off of amazon. I watched a bunch of videos frommad river outfitters on youtube, but now im apprehensive of looking like an idiot casting behind the house trying to loearn ��

Man you get the first one on a fly and it’s a rush! Especially when you start sight casting to them in clear water. It really isn’t as hard as you think. I took a casting lesson one day and practiced a lot. Just give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by JONES45LC View Post

Medina river
                Yesterday evening
                8wt TFO BVK
                8wt konic Lamson reel
                #10 hair / foam grasshopper

Awesome fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  As water levels drop on the Blanco I’ve been trying to sight cast to carp with zero luck. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
                  Oh man I am pretty much addicted to carp on a fly. They are super smart, the best ones to try are the feeders. Heads down tails up try and get the fly in there line of travel and barely, just barely move it when they are about six inches from it. The ones feeding directly towards me I have the best luck with. They will also suck it up and spit it out without you ever feeling the take. Keep the line just tite enough to have “ resistance” and if you see them open there mouth, or move excitingly set the hook. Once in a while they will take it and swim off with it . It’s like combining hunting and fishing into one sport, they are tough to catch but when you do it’s so cool. I have given up on trout, bass and everything ( except when I accidentally hook one). Don’t give up, just find the feeders and be stealthy and present the fly as “ splashless” as you can. Keep at it, one will take eventually. Oh yea wash your hands in the mud and water, and “ mud your fly”, i think many times they can smell the fake, and will refuse it. If they are just sitting still,spawning or cruising, 99% of the time they won’t eat your fly. Heads down tails up, that where it’s at.
                  Last edited by critter69; 08-13-2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Any recommendations on a fly rod setup for a complete newb? Maybe stay under $250? Probably a 4wt-5wt for stream fishing in Colorado mainly. Something decent that I’m not going to feel the need to upgrade in a few months.

Comment

I would go the Orvis Clearwater route. I think you would be in the $300 range. They come with a 25 year warranty and if they break they allow you to upgrade to the newer or higher end rod. If you have a store in your area sign up for the Fly Fishing 101 class. They give you a %20 off coupon and it should bring the Clearwater combo down close to your budget.

Comment

TFO Also has some good combo sets at a good price. They come with a life time warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                          TFO Also has some good combo sets at a good price. They come with a life time warranty.
                          i love all of TFO rods
                          I broke a rod tip on my 6wt BVK I called them I had a replacement tip section in 3 days .

Comment

I like my TFO, but becoming a big fan of the Moonshine Rods. I have a 3wt and 5wt right now and really like the action and feel of them. Great for a sub $200 rod IMO

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                              Awesome video!!!!
                              Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Friken carp, went this morning and they are super skittish and refused every thing I put in front of them. They must be leader shy, I think my tippet or maybe the slight shine off the hook is spooking them. I have been educating them all summer and they have learned oh to well.lol Dang things have become really hard to catch these last few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X