Meat smoking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat smoking question

I’ve been chopping these huge oak roots out of the front and back yard and a question came to mind. Can you dry these, or any other type of wood, and smoke meat with it? To me it seems like eating liver. Why would I eat an organ that filters impurities out of the body. When a root takes up water it takes up what’s in the water as well. I’m not saying it would be hazardous, but what would the meat smell like? I know that there’s a ton of y’all that are experts or close to it regarding smoking meat. Thanks.

I wouldnt even try. I like split and seasoned wood. Dont know if you could ever get there with a root of a tree

Comment

I would think that it wouldn’t be dense enough to smoke with once dried/cured since the moisture content is so high and it is so spongey...I don’t know this for a fact just what I would guess.

Comment

I’ve got one that was above ground and it’s as dense as a tree limb.

Comment

Dry it out and see how it burns. If it burns and smokes like a regular oak log then make a decision whether or not you want to cook over it.

Comment

Hopefully there is someone that has tried this and can keep me and anyone else from wasting a piece of meat! Lol!

Comment

Just try it out on cheap pork butt, don't invite all your friends until you see how it does, never know, you could be onto something.

Comment

Working...
              X