Copperheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copperheads

My Dad and my Mom bought 55 acres near Grandview 42 years ago. My Dad passed 21 years ago and my Mom still lives there at 89 years old. In all of those years seen snakes but never a poisonous snake of any kind. Wednesday night I was parking my Ranger under the carport attached to the house and saw something move next to the house behind a 5 gallon bucket. I figured it was that big ole lizard that hangs around and scares the bejeebers out of me all of the time. I turned the flashlight on my phone and moved the bucket and as I leaned down to see what it was it was a copperhead. I jumped back as I was too close IMHO. I headed to my truck loaded my.22 six shooter with snake shot and headed back to where the snake was. Maybe 5 minutes at the most and it was gone. I used a stick to move some stuff around looking for it never found it. I know if there is one there has to be more so you guys that have them where do they den up? Do that hang out in brush piles, under ground etc. What do they eat, I figure mice, rats and such but my Mom has the place treated every 3 months so we never have mice, rats etc. I will be afraid to dig into the brush piles now looking for firewood to burn in the outdoor firepit at night. Is there something that can be put down that will make them leave. Thanks

It likely moved on. They eat cicadas so if you have some of them buzzing in the trees you might find it stalking them

Comment

You can find them after dark. That’s when they come out to feed. Before the cats showed up, on a good night, I could walk around my yard about 10pm and kill 2 or 3 in about 20 minutes.

Comment

Comment

You said it was next to the house. Look at the foundation where you saw it. Or near there. And see if there is the slightest of undercut in the foundation where it meets the ground. Found a den at my sister's place like that in the corner of the back steps and flower bed. And she lives in the city. They have lots of oaks too. And finding them out in the backyard. So, I'm certain the copperheads were hunting cicadas and junebugs. As well as small tree frogs. Or anything else they can catch. Got a few greentails out of that den too.

Comment

I use to live in Grandview about 6 miles west of town and had rat snakes because of 180 acres of corn next door and field mice kept them plenty to eat. About a year before I left there, I killed 7 large copperheads.
            I gues the rat snakes were too full to eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sulfur or moth balls are probably your best bet for keeping them away.

Comment

The eat crickets and other bugs. Not sure about mice, but maybe. All over the place here at home, but hardly ever see them as they blend in so well.

Comment

I grew up with them near Tomball.
                  They are really out on summer nights.
                  We learned quickly never to pick up anything that was laying in the ground unless you checked first. Wood, plywood, bricks etc I hate them and I ain’t afraid of snakes.

Comment

I’m in the process of moving into a house on the river in the same neighborhood I’m in now. Previous owners let the landscaping go as their health failed in old age. I took one look at the place and thought snake haven. Big areas of thick ground cover and jungles of iris and canna lilies. Took me 10 steps to find the first one. Saw another yesterday I couldn’t catch.
                    I’m having a guy scrape all the gardens clean to the dirt and will fill back with river rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get some cats man!! I’m in the middle of building myself. Before we started I killed 2 rattlers and a copperhead around the property. Got a couple of outside cats and haven’t seen one since.

Comment

Can I be the first one to say they are venomous, not poisonous?

Never mind. I don't wanna be that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
                          Can I be the first one to say they are venomous, not poisonous?

Never mind. I don't wanna be that guy.
                          To late. You already are!!!

Comment

Thanks I know a spot along the foundation near where I saw that snake. It is where the outside hose bib is and it has washed out a bit over the years. I will be checking that spot and filling it in. Now that weather is getting warmer I will be checking at night around when I am at my Mom's. Don't think she will go for cats but maybe she will be open to that idea now. Mothballs are cheap.

Comment

You might want to reconsider using mothballs. That might be more hazardous to your moms health than anything and the snakes won't go away. That's an old wives tale.

Comment

Working...
                              X