Real Estate Atty Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Estate Atty Question

Turning to the GS for some info... I have a family member back in Texas who, early in 2020, lost their place due to unpaid county tax. Long story... it could have been avoided, but they were unwilling to ask for help. That property sold on the courthouse steps to an outfit out of California. I've heard that despite that type of transaction, in some states, there is a timeframe whereby the original owner can make a 100% payment of the taxes and penalties, and reclaim the property. Any truth or fact to this?

interestingly, she was in a re-payment plan with an attorney group who does collections for the county, but still lost the property, and did not get any of those payments back after it was sold on the courthouse steps. Admittedly, that is hearsay as I've not actually seen any of the repayment documents with said collection group, so for that part i'm just going on what i'm told.

I believe it's 2-years, but I would have to confirm that by looking it up in one of my books, as I don't run across this much. My advice would be to get with a real estate attorney ASAP, as they are the professionals. I will stop there [emoji36][emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

That's true. Property that is sold in a tax lien sale is subject to a "right of redemption" period that allows the original owner to buy the property back. Length of the right of redemption period depends on exemptions attached to the property. If there are no exemptions then the period is 180 days. If it has an Ag or homestead exemption then the period is 2 years.

Comment

There is a right of redemption. Generally two years on homestead or property designated as agricultural use. It can be a mess.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Can anyone point me to a reasonable real estate atty - greenscreen friendly, for an intro conversation?

Comment

what county or area of the state is the property located?

Comment

An often used tactic by buyers from a tax sale is to add improvements fasttt!! Because the seller also must pay for any improvements added after the sale in addition to back taxes to redeem it. So buyers of raw land often have a dozer in there the next day and throw up a barn etc fast as possible. Usually if seller couldn't come up with back tax $$ they for sure can't pay for improvements also.

Comment

Originally posted by helibow View Post
                Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Can anyone point me to a reasonable real estate atty - greenscreen friendly, for an intro conversation?

PM Grayson on here. He’s done an amazing job for me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by helibow View Post
                  Why would anyone ever want a reasonable attorney, I like mine to be completely unreasonable and hates losing

Comment

Originally posted by flinch View Post
                    An often used tactic by buyers from a tax sale is to add improvements fasttt!! Because the seller also must pay for any improvements added after the sale in addition to back taxes to redeem it. So buyers of raw land often have a dozer in there the next day and throw up a barn etc fast as possible. Usually if seller couldn't come up with back tax $$ they for sure can't pay for improvements also.
                    I have a friend that purchases a fair amount of land/homes in Texas and I think this information is possibly incorrect. For raw land, there is a 1 year right of redemption and for land with a "livable" home, it is 2 years. Any improvements made on the property are not the burden of the redeemer. They are only responsible for the back taxes, any penalties and that is it. He is an investor and local attorney. It's a tough game to play and he is only purchasing raw land now in the sales.

Comment

It was probably bought by Wedgewood if they were out of California. They are the largest purchaser of tax liens in country. Pm the address and I can tell you if it was them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        I have a friend that purchases a fair amount of land/homes in Texas and I think this information is possibly incorrect. For raw land, there is a 1 year right of redemption and for land with a "livable" home, it is 2 years. Any improvements made on the property are not the burden of the redeemer. They are only responsible for the back taxes, any penalties and that is it. He is an investor and local attorney. It's a tough game to play and he is only purchasing raw land now in the sales.
                        Your friend was sick the day they taught law in law school. :-)

Comment

I looked into this a few years ago and at least here locally they could get the land back but they have to pay the new owner 125% of what he paid in the first year and 150% back in year 2. They also had to pay for any improvements that had been made. This may have changed as it has been a few years.

-john

Comment

Working...
                          X