How to keep camp safe while out hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep camp safe while out hunting

I’m going to be spending quite a bit of time in northern NM this hunting season and I’ve heard a few horror stories about camps getting broken into and completely gutted. I’m used to packing everything in on my back and having a pretty secure camp, but for the tags we have drawn we will be truck camping and heading out every morning. I’m going to hide camp as best I can, but what else can I do to make sure everything is where I left it during the day?

nothing really except get as far back as possible and pack in light. Good luck! Love NM hunting

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
      nothing really except get as far back as possible and pack in light. Good luck! Love NM hunting

Packing in light always seems to be more difficult when my gf draws a tag haha. Plus it’s late season so more is required anyways

Comment

I meant pack your vehicle light. Whatever you take in your truck try to pack in. NM can be shady for sure unfortunately. Id almost leave my doors open to keep the ones from breaking a window. If they want in a window isn't stopping them. Best thing is to get in where others don't want to risk it or take the time to.

Comment

hearing all of those type rumors for years too. from what I recall if you have u52 area probably OK. if you are down near U45, 50 area beware.

Comment

Don’t leave stuff in view in the truck, and keep your optics and guns with you. Then pack in a good ways. If somebody wants to carry my sleeping bag 5 miles out to steal it, at least they are a hard working thief.

Comment

Did a lot of hunting in NM when I lived there and never had a problem. Get back there as far as you can and set up, most everybody that will be in the area are hunters.

Comment

Spent a lot of time in the middle of nowhere in Southern NM and never once had a problem. Unfortunately, I’ve heard a lot of bad things about some areas in Northern NM. Like others said, keep the valuables out of the truck, and I’d be tempted to leave the doors unlocked too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've read Rio Arriba County is the worst. I recommend hiding your antlers when away from camp or at night. We also stash any extra guns away from the camp when out hunting.

If your truck will be left at camp, it and a radio playing in the tent will make it sound occupied when you're out hunting.

Comment

I’d be tempted to pull my license plates so they wouldn’t know I was from out of state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted NM and CO about 25 times and never had anyone bother our camps.
                      Not sure what you could do it someone wanted too

Comment

I generally take a game cam with me and put it up on camp. Never had an issue so far (knock on wood) but i'd rather have a pic of them stealing something versus nothing. I have a game cam that I painted white, and added black blobs to is, so I can put it on an aspen tree and it cant be seen. I also grab my ladder and put it about 8-10 feet up, angled down.

Comment

Possibly invite a non hunter to hang out

Comment

Any ideas on what makes NM a hotspot? I have been looking at a few places to offroad camp and hike there. And this is the first I've seen this come up.

Comment

What about a big job box?

Comment

Working...
                              X