Africa Outfitter Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from the DSC show yesterday and looking at making the first trip over 2021-2022. Spoke with so many different outfitters and got different answers from all of them. For the TBH guys what some key questions that y’all wish you would’ve asked on your first trip over. Should I be considering a package hunt or pay the daily fee and select as I go? Have a good idea of at least 4-5 animals I’d like to take so far. It will only be my wife and myself going.

Where in Africa are you thinking about going?

Comment

Bowhunting?

Comment

Rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BRYAN@ANDERS View Post
          Where in Africa are you thinking about going?

Have it narrowed down the Zimbabwe,Mozambique at least that’s what I’m thinking. Only plains game right now.

Last edited by Texas89; 01-12-2020, 12:47 PM.

Comment

There are some really good package deals on the Africa hunting forum. I have had the best deals come up around the campfire in the evenings. Beware there is no cure for the Africa hunting bug!

Comment

The two countries you picked will usually run more than S Africa or Namibia with that if worried about funds look at all the options.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
                Have it narrowed down the Zimbabwe,Mozambique

Although I’ve never been, Mozambique with Marromeu Safaris is where I’d go if selecting between those two countries.

Comment

CMS Safaris and Mokore Safaris for Zim and Moz. If rifle plains game only, I'd recommend looking at RSA or Botswana, maybe Namibia. Cost and quantities of plains game in RSA and Botswana, imho outweigh the expense of Zim or Moz. For plains game only, most reputable outfitters offer good to great deals on packages, plus they allow add ons. Be careful with the add ons, my second trip over I had a package for five animals, and came back with eight, lol.

If you're looking at buffalo, lion, croc etc, with some plains game as seen, I'd look at CMS and Mokore in Zim. Both are outstanding!

I spoke with both outfitters at the show for 2021. Depending on how my shoulder rehab progresses. I may take a late hunt in 2020. Have fun!

Comment

Anything but Dare To Bowhunt. Had an awful experience with them.... most crooked operation I’ve ever been with.

Comment

Both countries offer excellent hunting. The Save Conservancy and the Bubye Valley Conservancy in Zim both have great mixtures of plains game and dangerous game. For a wild Africa hunt, Zim and Moz are both good choices.

Take more money than you think you’ll need. Best bet is to buy a small package with some pre-chosen animals and then add on if you choose. You want to make sure the PH and their hunting area has the animals you want. Don’t front load a lot of critters without knowing that for sure. When I hunted Zambia this year I did a buffalo, hippo, croc package and then added on some plains game while in camp. You’ll see animals you want and your level of willpower is up to you. Some PHs will pressure you also.

Make sure you have guarantees on accommodations, pick-up/travel in country, and any additional fees. If they try and talk you into doing your taxidermy in country ask to see examples of the work or better yet stop by the shop. There is good African taxidermy and then there is atrocious. I chose to bring my animals home and have them done here in Texas.

Above all, be flexible. It’s Africa. SA and Namibia have the process pretty streamlined for hunters and tourists, but you get out in the bush bush like Zim and Moz and things are pretty fluid. If you’re rigid in your thinking you’ll have a bad time. It’ll change your life! I’m excited for you.

Comment

Spend some time on africa-hunting.com blogs and forums. Those guys eat, sleep and breath African hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas89 View Post
                          Rifle.

Do you bow hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                            Do you bow hunt?

Yes but I won’t be there.

Comment

If you consider RSA, we would be glad to help make your dream hunt come true. We have a very generous special going on right now, and a quick search of " A Frican hunt of a life time" will show one of the hunts from last year that several TBH members were on.

Either way good luck to you, hunting Africa gets in your blood.

Comment

Working...
                              X