How many acres is big enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many acres is big enough?

Like a lot of us, I've been wanting to buy a ranch for a long time. I can swing it financially (within reason) and am now looking hard. I just don't want to settle on something that isn't pretty close to what I want, or at least have the potential to become what I want. My problem seems to be finding a place that has all the attributes that I want, within 4 hours of Houston, and within my price point. It's almost like finding the Holy Grail.

I've always thought that I needed 500-1000 acres to do what I want (good deer herd, exotics, stocked pond/lake), but I see a lot of nice places that have much less land. This will be a family place for us to entertain close friends and family for years to come. In your opinion, how big is big enough?

Really depends on the particular property and how it is laid out. And depends on how many hunters it will be supporting. Sounds like you are going to high fence the property if your wanting exotics so that is another factor that needs to be considered. High fence ranch in my mind should not be less than 500 acres or else you will not be able to support many animals even with supplemental feed. Good Luck!

Comment

Where are you looking? Hill Country? East Texas? South Texas? Lots of areas and price ranges within 4 hours of Houston.

To answer your question, I'd think 500 or greater would be my minimum. I do not own any land, yet, FYI.

Also, most importantly, it really depends on your neighbors.

Comment

I can tell you right now it take a lot of $$ and/or work to keep up 500-1000 acres. The initial expense for the land is just the beginning. It also depends on the size. Our farm is 80% woods. I think the more open the land the more acreage needed.

Good luck to you.

Comment

All depends on the land-- if the animal herd is important to you. 1000 baron acres looks small, can be easily traveled & won't maintain animals with spending a fortune on feed. 200 acres of piney woods and forest, you could get lost on. Real talk, I wouldn't go under 400 acres if you plan on hosting multiple friends and family at one time.
          Last edited by perfectstorm; 06-18-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Might be better off looking for a turn-key that has most of what you are looking to do already established - costs might offset a bit better.

Good luck and congrats!

Comment

Any amount is better than none but I think 1k is perfect of course if not larger.

Comment

A section is what I am aiming at.

Comment

We have 650 acres and when people come out to hunt it they think its 1000 acres. We have big draws that helps a lot with making it feel bigger than it really is. So I would say 500 acres would be my bottom line.

Comment

I wish I could get 500....No way tho with price of land unless we go far west or hill country where land is cheaper

Comment

We have 565 and it hunt like 800

we have 1200 in another spot and it hunts like 400... lots terrain and brush makes HUGE difference

Price range and all... I would say 500-800 and call in the engineer in to look at the place to see how big a tank it can support before you buy. Land is easy to find... Land that can sustain the perfect pond... MUCH HARDER. Get a civil engineer to take a look.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Sounds like my gut of 500 acres minimum was on point so far. I'm looking South Texas, Hill Country and Central Texas. Neighbors will be a large part of the equation.

Comment

are you planning on high fencing? If it were me, I think I'd go with a 100-200 less acres, and high fence the place. It's easier to "control" what the neighbors do with there's a good fence up.

Comment

Get as much as your budget will allow.

Comment

500 acres hill country, 1000 acres south texas..not big...but enough

Comment

Working...
                              X