Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have Montana hunting experience?

Please share! You can email me if you like. jessewithintegrity@gmail.com

I am moving there the beginning of August. To Billings. What is hunting the middle of the state like? Looking to hunt within 1.5hrs of Billings. Bow or Rifle. Big game mainly. Will get back into bird hunting some day.

Also, any trout fishing advice is welcome as I grew up a trout fisherman but never in Montana.

Can't help you on hunting around Billings but the Big Horn river around Fort Smith, MT (Southeast of Billings) is a solid trout river. I've fly fished the Yellowstone river in Billings and caught tons of Mountain Whitefish and a few rainbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      Can't help you on hunting around Billings but the Big Horn river around Fort Smith, MT (Southeast of Billings) is a solid trout river. I've fly fished the Yellowstone river in Billings and caught tons of Mountain Whitefish and a few rainbows.
      I did see that the big horn is a sweet fishery. Big browns coming out of there. Also flows through the Crow Nation.

I saw a review that taking a can of crawlers to the Yellowstone in Billings will land you a nice trout dinner daily. Being a guy that grew up drifting crawler heads through the back sides of riffles and on the edges of backwater, this gets me excited.

Comment

Hope you have safe travels and enjoy what Montana has to offer.
        You should hop on over to Hunt Talk and introduce yourself over there. Some great Montana folks on that forum that can and will answer your questions. It is a DIY focused forum, just avoid all the 90/10 Wyoming talk and folks are pretty friendly.

Comment

Block management has alot to offer!! More than likely you are not going to kill a booner there but it'll give you a legit opportunity to hunt multiple species of big game. We've gone several times-its crazy all the game we've seen. if you like to bird hunt-you are going to like Montana-especially goose and duck.
          Dont get off the highway when you are going through Indian land at night! They dont want you there. State of Montana doesn't have much say on their land either...
          2X-The bighorn is a great fishery.

Comment

There is a lot of public land hunting and fishing opportunity within a couple of hours of Billings, if you can get in on any of the private it's even better for hunting. Hit me up when you get here and I can point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
              There is a lot of public land hunting and fishing opportunity within a couple of hours of Billings, if you can get in on any of the private it's even better for hunting. Hit me up when you get here and I can point you in the right direction.
              Never thought I would meet someone on TBH that lives 30min from my new job in Billings. But....TBH never does disappoint. I shot you a PM.

Comment

Working...
              X