Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the Lightest kicking semi auto 20 gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never shot an a400 but tried to wear out a 1100 lt 20 and a 12. Sold the 20 and still trying to wear out the 12. Have replaced the o-ring twice in 15 years.

Comment

Gas autos are generally going to kick less than recoil / inertia driven...one of the main drivers for less felt recoil is shooting your lower dram / lead target shells vs. the mass produced heavy / max dram loads the big box stores promote during bird season.

I shoot what is essentially a 20ga load in my 12ga O/U being 1oz at under 1200fps...these same rounds won't cycle in some of my inertia driven benelli's.

The A390 is a good choice & shouldn't be as much as the A400...the good ole 1100 is always a good pick.

Comment

no question the Beretta a400. you can adjust the gas system so it only uses what it needs to cycle and sends the rest out the forend

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
          Gas autos are generally going to kick less than recoil / inertia driven...one of the main drivers for less felt recoil is shooting your lower dram / lead target shells vs. the mass produced heavy / max dram loads the big box stores promote during bird season.

I shoot what is essentially a 20ga load in my 12ga O/U being 1oz at under 1200fps...these same rounds won't cycle in some of my inertia driven benelli's.

The A390 is a good choice & shouldn't be as much as the A400...the good ole 1100 is always a good pick.
          was going to suggest the 390. lowest recoil 12ga I remember shooting.

Comment

I have an 1100 LT20, an A400 Xcel 20g, and a Win SX4 20g. The SX4 kicks less than all of them, in fact it kicks less than the 28g my 9 y/o shoots. I was very surprised, and they can be had for under 1k.

Comment

My Weatherby SA-08 20g is really light weight and has low recoil, use it for dove and duck and have never had any issues. Haven't found a shell it won't shoot, and for under $500, it's hard to beat in my opinion. Only downside is its hard to find chokes for it.

Comment

I have a Benelli Montefeltro light weight in 20ga. The M2 Benelli both are extremely light recoil. I know of a older gentleman that had shoulder surgery. His son bought him a Browning silver edition and claims it has no recoil to it at all. I had a Berretta A400 Unico with the kick off 12 ga. Extremely light recoil. If you ever get to Houston area towards Galveston, I’d be happy to let you shoot my Benellis.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                  I have an 1100 LT20, an A400 Xcel 20g, and a Win SX4 20g. The SX4 kicks less than all of them, in fact it kicks less than the 28g my 9 y/o shoots. I was very surprised, and they can be had for under 1k.
                  I would have to think and i dont know for sure but isnt the SX4 heavier than the rest?

I know the old SX2 and SX3 we had kicked alot less then the benellis we had but was a chunkier gun.

To the OP i would go gas 1100 or A400. But a Montefeltro is a great gun as well. My thought would also be to call Briley to make sure they make add on weights for whatever gun you buy. This will help alot to.

Comment

I also always thought it would be cool if benelli made a 20ga gun on a 12ga frame. For us that shoot alot of 12ga i would like to have a 20ga that felt the same etc. So that the swing and all would feel the same. Similiar in thought to putting tubes in an OU.

Maybe not practical but thought it would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                      I would have to think and i dont know for sure but isnt the SX4 heavier than the rest?

I know the old SX2 and SX3 we had kicked alot less then the benellis we had but was a chunkier gun.

To the OP i would go gas 1100 or A400. But a Montefeltro is a great gun as well. My thought would also be to call Briley to make sure they make add on weights for whatever gun you buy. This will help alot to.
                      The 1100 and the SX4 are about the same weight, not heavy at all but not as light as the A400. I don't think the SX2 or SX3 were made in 20ga.

Comment

Beretta A400 Xplor 20. Hardly any recoil. Great gun.

Comment

I think most of the guns mentioned should fit the bill what your looking for price point may be a factor trying to stay under 1000 I bet you can find one good luck!!

Comment

You want a gas gun for recoil, and if you want a gas gun you want a Beretta

Comment

Like I posted in my initial post on this thread, your biggest factor in felt recoil will be the ammo you shoot, not so much the gun. That being said, the gas operated semi's that can handle the lightest loads will be the best you will be able to do... I'm not familiar enough with the A400 or A390's to know if they'll shoot the little target 20 ga. loads (the ones with the aluminum bases, but if they will, that's what you should go with. My Benelli M2 will function flawlessly with them, but a 1100 in my experience is spotty at best with them...

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

Agree with all of these suggestions Artos makes. Get your dad some light target loads and make sure they cycle in the shotgun.

Comment

Working...
                                X