Everything stock tank/pond thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I ordered the sago tubers from a place called habitatnow.com.

Yes right now I'm using the duck pond as a brood pond for some of the baitfish and will turn some Florida fingerlings in there to feast and get a head start before turning them loose into the big lake.

After that I will drain it and plant rice or millet or both.
    Awesome! Sounds like you have a great plan in place. That quarry pond looks sweet and I enjoy following along on your thread. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Good thread. I hope to close Friday on a place with almost a 2 acre pond. I dont know anything about it other than it is muddy and has a crystal clear sandy bottom creek feeding it currently.

I may be wrong here, but here is my guess on gameplan:

1. Figure out how deep it is.
      2. Get some structure in it.
      3. Fish it to see what is in it. No cattle on the place, so possibly roatnone it or shock it.
      4. Stock it with baitfish
      5. Stock it with bass.

I'd also like to clear it up. Guess I can try the hay bale method. Would I only need one?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I order this from amazon and works well on Jack County cloudy ponds

Airmax Nature's Blue Pond Dye Plus with PondClear Beneficial Bacteria, Cleans & Clears Water, Safe for The Environment - Case of 4x1 Gallon

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
          Good thread. I hope to close Friday on a place with almost a 2 acre pond. I dont know anything about it other than it is muddy and has a crystal clear sandy bottom creek feeding it currently.

I may be wrong here, but here is my guess on gameplan:

1. Figure out how deep it is.
          2. Get some structure in it.
          3. Fish it to see what is in it. No cattle on the place, so possibly roatnone it or shock it.
          4. Stock it with baitfish
          5. Stock it with bass.

I'd also like to clear it up. Guess I can try the hay bale method. Would I only need one?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
          We had muddy water with our subdivision lake until we fixed it.

Do the jar test to determine what is causing it to be muddy. Fill the jar with pond water and see if it settles to the bottom after a few days. If it doesn't clear then you've got suspended clay particles that will need to settle on the bottom by adding either gypsum or alum. Here is a great article on it from Pond Boss.

https://www.pondboss.com/news/inside...ed%20a%20nudge.

If it does settle and clear then you've got another issue other than suspended clay.
          Last edited by unclefish; 05-17-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MossyRockRanch View Post
            I order this from amazon and works well on Jack County cloudy ponds

Airmax Nature's Blue Pond Dye Plus with PondClear Beneficial Bacteria, Cleans & Clears Water, Safe for The Environment - Case of 4x1 Gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It had rained twice since we bought the place in October. Started building our pond and on day two we got 9”. Now a week and a half later we picked up another 4” and rain is in everyday of the extended forecast. After being so dry for so long, I hesitate to complain about any moisture, but this is getting ridiculous. Make sure you store some water as once it dries out enough to get mine dug it is unlikely to ever rain again.

Rant over..carry on. I am taking notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was able to drive in and do donuts at the bottom of this pond last week, but a 5" rain the other day filled it up. I had this pond dug deeper and cleaned out last May. I'm still wanting to do some work to it, so I'll probably wait until October and pump out what ever water is in it. The island that I made is about 12 feet from top to bottom. Those piles in the back are a burn pile, clay pile, and top soil pile that I need to find a buyer for and have hauled out. They are on the front side of the pond on the edge of the field, the entire pond is alittle over an 1 acre
                Attached Files

Comment

I thought my little pond didn’t have anything in it except for the tilapia I put in to eat the duckweed. I bought the place 5 years ago and it was about dried up. I got rid of a big willow then and it holds pretty water well all year now, although it’s shallow. The water is always muddy lately and thought maybe that was from catfish. Never had any luck with lures before. Tried chicken liver and caught a couple bullheads and a tiny green sunfish on a worm the other day.

Should I get rid of the bullheads? add some bass? I’d like to have bass and sunfish/bluegill for the kids to catch but maybe it’s too small. I want to dig it out deeper at some point when the water is lower. Only about 1/4 acre.

Current

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to look at our tanks this weekend at the lease and fish some. Got a 3 acre tank and a smaller one

Last time I was there the tanks we’re crazy low. I was starting to get worried about all the fish in them. I’ve only ever caught bass and a couple crappie out of them, 1 gar but he’s no longer with us

How many fish should I be taking out of them? My parents and I are the only ones who fish it and I take about 6 per year out just for ceviche

Comment

Its amazing how fast these shiners are growing. Two weeks ago they looked like mosquito larvae....and now they are a 1/2 - 3/4 inch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_gNTV0ZO4o"]Golden shiner fry school - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

question about pond aerators

I've got a pond that has no electricity running to it. Do ya'll know of an aerator that is solar powered? Also an idea is to have a gas generator on the bank that I could plug the aerator into and let it run for up to 24 hrs at a time. Would this do any good? I know the longer the better, but could running an aerator for as little as one day each week add any benefit?

Comment

^^^ Good question, I was wondering the same.

Comment

one year later, before and after. Thanks to a dozer and a 12"+ rain I've got a nice set up now. The two pictures where taken from the same spot, the 2nd picture was taken today and from a mound of dirt for a higher shot. Also added a new island that will have a covered patio with a pier going to it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                              question about pond aerators

I've got a pond that has no electricity running to it. Do ya'll know of an aerator that is solar powered? Also an idea is to have a gas generator on the bank that I could plug the aerator into and let it run for up to 24 hrs at a time. Would this do any good? I know the longer the better, but could running an aerator for as little as one day each week add any benefit?
                              go to The Pond Guy website - they have a windmill that will aerate off of wind - my BIL bought one and it works great

Comment

Can someone recommend an aerator for a half acre pond. I have electricity

Comment

Working...
                                X