Road trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road trips

I’ve got 8 to 10 days to just go and get out of town. Where would you go? I’ve always wanted to go to Yellowstone but I think it’ll be to packed this yr and I’m really not wanting to fight that big of a crowd. I thought about hitting the east coast and visiting the Carolinas, Virginia and maybe Kentucky. Maybe hitting Tennessee on the way back home. Has anyone done this and if so what did you do for fun. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I doubt you could get reservations to any National Park this quick. If it were me I’d be heading to the San Juan’s or Rockies for some camping, hiking, campfiring.

Comment

You could be deep in the Gila somewhere in New Mexico in one day. Spectacular country.

Comment

I'd personally want to save the East Coast for fall

I'd go to Yellowstone if that's what you've always wanted. I went late June or early July when I made my trip and it was just starting to really pick up tourist wise from the site hosts we talked to.

I'm guessing with people still being covid wary you will be fine. A lot of the camp sites don't take reservations. We got up early each day and booked it to the side of the park we were going to home base from and get a site then spend our time exploring. Get out of South Yellowstone where the major tourist attractions are and it's less packed.

Comment

All great choices. I’ve been to New Mexico and Colorado almost every other yr and love it there. I just want to go see some states I haven’t been to. But it won’t surprise me if I end up going back there.

Comment

We’re hooking up RV in a week or so and heading to the Smokies. Will be going to Pikeville, TN. just to get some oats, grits and cornmeal from the Amish. It’s really that much difference in them and the store bought junk.
            May come back across Kentucky, Kansas and up to South Dakota.
            Then back to the blazing state of TEXAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lodging around Yellowstone will be tough if you don't have a reservation. Campgrounds are also taking them this year.
              Lots of small town things to do in Wyoming over summer and the mountains may be right there.

Comment

Is it possible to drive through Yellowstone on the main roads or do they get backed up?

Comment

Go early in the morning.
                  Watch this video, or at least the first part.
                  Two YouTubers went on a trip to Yellowstone and made a video about all the things they DON'T like about it. We can't lie, we agree with some of what they said.

I would stay outside the park, decide what you really want to see and go in early in the morning.
                  Day drives are possible but traffic may limit what you actually get to see.
                  Any animals near the road lead to major traffic jams, watch for idiots stepping into traffic to take pics or they just set up tripods in edge of the road.
                  Animal sightings midday will be sparse.

Gardiner is a neat town, Cody too. Jackson speaks for itself. Cooke City is also nice. West Yellowstone was very touristy for me but most say the same for Jackson. All have lodging, camping and entrances to the park.
                  Last edited by wytex; 06-03-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I think I’ve decided to head to Arizona and visit the Grand Canyon and maybe the petrified forest and then head to Utah and visit the arches. And any state park in between. Should be fun.

Comment

Looks like the NPS still has majority the campsites closed due to Covid in National Parks…….smh.

Comment

We just got back from Jackson, WY. We liked it so much, I think we will be going back next year. A lot to do there and you can't beat the weather or scenery in the summertime.

Comment

We are on our last day in Creede, CO. Has been an awesome week with great view, great hiking and no crowds

Comment

North away from this cotton-picking rain!

Comment

Originally posted by bownut View Post
                              I think I’ve decided to head to Arizona and visit the Grand Canyon and maybe the petrified forest and then head to Utah and visit the arches. And any state park in between. Should be fun.
                              Arches, Zion, and Moab are all excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X