Copperheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    You might want to reconsider using mothballs. That might be more hazardous to your moms health than anything and the snakes won't go away. That's an old wives tale.

We use mothballs under trailers, older buildings etc more to help keep the mice away. We saw a good drop in snake sightings after that. Helped get rid of some of the snakes food

Comment

X2 on moth balls and they normally run in pairs

Comment

Mothballs do not work. It’s a myth.

Will mothballs keep snakes away from your house? Before you decide to use them, get the facts from experts from the Blue Ridge Poison Center.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Plus...it's really rough on the moth.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Plus...it's really rough on the moth.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.uv...akes-away/amp/
              Moth balls may not keep snakes away, but they do keep the things snakes like to eat away.

Comment

My in laws also live on the river in Pecan and kill quite a few copperheads

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                  My Dad and my Mom bought 55 acres near Grandview 42 years ago. My Dad passed 21 years ago and my Mom still lives there at 89 years old. In all of those years seen snakes but never a poisonous snake of any kind. Wednesday night I was parking my Ranger under the carport attached to the house and saw something move next to the house behind a 5 gallon bucket. I figured it was that big ole lizard that hangs around and scares the bejeebers out of me all of the time. I turned the flashlight on my phone and moved the bucket and as I leaned down to see what it was it was a copperhead. I jumped back as I was too close IMHO. I headed to my truck loaded my.22 six shooter with snake shot and headed back to where the snake was. Maybe 5 minutes at the most and it was gone. I used a stick to move some stuff around looking for it never found it. I know if there is one there has to be more so you guys that have them where do they den up? Do that hang out in brush piles, under ground etc. What do they eat, I figure mice, rats and such but my Mom has the place treated every 3 months so we never have mice, rats etc. I will be afraid to dig into the brush piles now looking for firewood to burn in the outdoor firepit at night. Is there something that can be put down that will make them leave. Thanks
                  About 30 years ago I lived on 50 acres that borders Chambers Creek NW of town. I killed Copperheads ALL the time and we had cats, dogs, emus, cows....

Comment

I just killed the biggest copperhead I’ve ever seen. I’m 6’. This one was as long as my leg. Head is gone also
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                      I just killed the biggest copperhead I’ve ever seen. I’m 6’. This one was as long as my leg. Head is gone also
                      Dang! Longest on record in Texas was 52". Still counts if it's longer than that without the head if you get it officially measured and recorded. I'd probably take the head too to add an inch or two.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 06-03-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                        My Dad and my Mom bought 55 acres near Grandview 42 years ago. My Dad passed 21 years ago and my Mom still lives there at 89 years old. In all of those years seen snakes but never a poisonous snake of any kind. Wednesday night I was parking my Ranger under the carport attached to the house and saw something move next to the house behind a 5 gallon bucket. I figured it was that big ole lizard that hangs around and scares the bejeebers out of me all of the time. I turned the flashlight on my phone and moved the bucket and as I leaned down to see what it was it was a copperhead. I jumped back as I was too close IMHO. I headed to my truck loaded my.22 six shooter with snake shot and headed back to where the snake was. Maybe 5 minutes at the most and it was gone. I used a stick to move some stuff around looking for it never found it. I know if there is one there has to be more so you guys that have them where do they den up? Do that hang out in brush piles, under ground etc. What do they eat, I figure mice, rats and such but my Mom has the place treated every 3 months so we never have mice, rats etc. I will be afraid to dig into the brush piles now looking for firewood to burn in the outdoor firepit at night. Is there something that can be put down that will make them leave. Thanks

I didn’t grow up around copperheads, but I have heard when the cicadas start chattering you can go outside at night with a flashlight under oak trees and find copperheads pretty regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          Dang! Longest on record in Texas was 52". Still counts if it's longer than that without the head if you get it officially measured and recorded. I'd probably take the head too to add an inch or two.
                          Good lord I couldn’t imagine a 52” copperhead

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                            Good lord I couldn’t imagine a 52” copperhead
                            Yeah I don't know what county it was found in but that was a good one for sure. High fenced snake you reckon?

Comment

They like them Green Lizard and Geckos too...I had Green hedges around house..Plenty Lizards and Copperheads too...Removed Hedges and replaced with White Rock (not big enough for them to hide under) ain't seen a CH since. Used kill 5 or 10 a year

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                I didn’t grow up around copperheads, but I have heard when the cicadas start chattering you can go outside at night with a flashlight under oak trees and find copperheads pretty regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Dad killed one a few years ago that had 5 or 6 cicadas in it, so they do eat them.

Comment

Working...
                                X