Buying Used Boat... Need Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Used Boat... Need Advice!

I started a thread last summer about buying a brand new boat and asking for advice. After putting it off for a while, my motorcycle is paid off so now it's time. Most of the comments on the old thread steered me toward a used boat instead of a new one and I think I'll take that advice.

Here's what I'm looking for... this boat will spend 100% of its time on freshwater and most of that on Lake Livingston. Rayburn and Conroe will be in the mix too. I am after bass most of the time but I do fish for crappie too. A pure bass boat is out because the wife wants something that can haul the family if she just wants to go on a boat ride. 80% of it's use will be fishing. My budget is either about $10k cash or $20k-$30k if I need to finance. I know that doesn't go along ways these days but it's what I have to work with. I have never owned anything but small jon boats so essentially this is new to me. What should I be looking out for when looking at used boats? What are some red flags that should make me run? On older boats, what engines tend to be the most reliable? Basically, I'll take any advice you'll give for a guy new to buying/owning a boat. Thanks

I'm in the same boat, I'll be following this thread for some pointers too.

Comment

Im not sure I read your last thread and all the comments, but im sure they were saying used to save a lot of money. Thats somewhat changed in the last year. Used boat market is crazy hot and the savings arent there like they used to be. I know this post isnt much help to you, but I think I would go look at a few new boats, find what youre looking for, and compare that pricing to what you are seeing used and go from there. Ive just seen too many boats list for WAY more than they would have pre-covid to say thats the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'd buy a 4 stroke motor... I have a bay boat with a Yamaha and its been a good motor. Do not buy a pontoon for fishing out of. For mostly fishing and some rec use its a tough decision. I might consider a center console type boat you can fish and still take the family out without much hassle. the Hurricane / deck boats might be a close 2nd for me but not as easy to get into the trees for the crappie.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
          Im not sure I read your last thread and all the comments, but im sure they were saying used to save a lot of money. Thats somewhat changed in the last year. Used boat market is crazy hot and the savings arent there like they used to be. I know this post isnt much help to you, but I think I would go look at a few new boats, find what youre looking for, and compare that pricing to what you are seeing used and go from there. Ive just seen too many boats list for WAY more than they would have pre-covid to say thats the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          I'll keep this in mind. The problem I found with new was that what I wanted seemed to be from about $32k-$40k and that's over what I'm willing to spend.

Comment

The problem is, they don't make 1 boat that does it all unfortunately. If it's a true fishing boat they're usually uncomfortable for more than 3 or 4 unless you want to spend 80k. Therefore fishing boats are really not family friendly unless you go pontoon... which of course is almost impossible to bass fish out of.

Good luck with your search, the used boat market is insane right now and good ones are fetching top dollar.

Comment

View the new 2024 Yamaha 195FSH Sport Center Console boat. The Pinnacle of Luxury, Technology and Performance. Yamahaboats.com

Comment

I bought a fishing barge pontoon boat a few years ago. Similar mission as yours. It doesn't do either function exceptionally well. We tried to tube/ski out of it. The 90 HP motor isn't quite enough. It's also not real handy to fish out of. Drifting or trolling open water is fine but trying to get it close to structure is a chore, especially on windy days. The bimini top is nice to have, although cuts into the casting room even more.

I'm thinking about trading to more of a fishing boat but haven't found much that interests me yet.

Good luck.

Comment

Sounds to me like you need to get the wife and spend the day looking at hulls (in person) then go from there.

Shes gonna be the one in the boat with you and not 37 people from the net.

On that note, Ive owned or fished from just about anything that floats since I was born. IMO a center console is the most versatile design there is. And as Mexico said, there is no such thing as a prefect boat. I have 2 and could easily buy another

Comment

let me be very clear here I am not giving any brand recommendations with these links below, but I will say do not deal with popyachts (if you find a boat they have listed there is a chance the owner does not even know they have listed it an you can almost always find the sale add from the actual owner for thousands less)

I do prefer Mercury engines because they are very good and they are a USA company and the larger models are made in the USA (lower hp not so much)

I think what you need is a "fish-n-ski" model and by that I mean the ones as examples in the links below......do not waste time with some of the new horribly laid out junk some builders are calling a fish and ski

again the above are to show a STYLE of boat I think will work for you.....I think the used ones shown are over priced though

these style of boats will work well for fishing and will work well enough for "the fam" and with the 3 kids in your photo you can a;ways get a couple of marine bean bags for the front and back if you get one like the newer ones shown with less seating

the good news is these boats are simply not that popular either so they usually sell for less than a straight bass boat of the same size and quality or a good bowrider (that would suck for fishing)

you will need at least a 90hp outboard to pull up a skier, but for tubing or kneeboarding that is more than enough

again the above were just to show a style of boat I think will work well for your needs and that could be in your price range

Comment

As stated above, unfortunately there is no perfect boat that will do everything. I mostly crappie fish but also do a lot of riding around and pulling tubes. This is my current compromise boat. Also has a windshield and a bimini top. Handles big water like a champ. Mine is used but they are tough to find. There are also other brands like lund that have similar floor plans.

Comment

in any boat your money is 75% motor and 25% hull. IF you buy used. Take it to a shop and have them check the motor out. It will cost a few hundred dollars but your stuck if you get a bad one.
                        I love my Boston Whaler but I would look at a Sea Ray or some sort of foam core boat with as big of a engine as it will take.
                        I have a Dauntless 22' with a 225 and we fish ski cruise its perfect.

Comment

Carolina skiff should do the trick on a budget but I’m personally a fan of welded aluminum boats! A semi v aluminum would be ideal for both I would think.

Comment

Center console for several reasons.
                            It's easier to Bass fish out of a bay boat than it is to bay fish out of a bass boat.
                            Resale is easier due to the brouder market.
                            Definitely no carpet.

Comment

If you could find an old Glastron HPV175 that is in good shape, it would fit the bill perfectly and be under your budget. They were great combo boats back in the late 70s/early 80s. I saw one that was really nice a few months ago. Brought back memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X