No announcement yet.

Shed Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a dog trained already? Seems like they could bring the dog out for a charge....I may be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
      ???Nubbin' buck and member since last month? This isn't the way we treat each other on the green screen---
      Trying to get those points to move into the classified's.....

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
        ???Nubbin' buck and member since last month? This isn't the way we treat each other on the green screen---
        Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
        Trying to get those points to move into the classified's.....

Yea, sometimes we treat each other a LOT worse!

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
          Easy! First thing I was thinking, was he was going to keep the dog in a shed! LOL
          It's not the fact he/she didn't understand that Dale was pointing out. Basically he's saying "don't be a dumb*** and a smart*** at the same time. Pick one or the other, not both". He was trying to do the guy/gal a favor!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by rolylane6; 02-09-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
            It's not the fact he didn't understand that Dale was pointing out. Basically he's saying "don't be a dumb*** and a smart*** at the same time. Pick one or the other, not both". He was trying to do the guy a favor!

I'm thinking gal not guy. Smart azz either way though.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              I'm thinking gal not guy. Smart azz either way though.
              Thx, I fixed it

Comment

Could you start a dog that is a little over a year or is it to late?

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                  It's not the fact he/she didn't understand that Dale was pointing out. Basically he's saying "don't be a dumb*** and a smart*** at the same time. Pick one or the other, not both". He was trying to do the guy/gal a favor!

Yes. I know. I was kidding also

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                    Could you start a dog that is a little over a year or is it to late?
                    No, that's a good age! Starting to get mature and more serious!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Anybody have a dog trained already? Seems like they could bring the dog out for a charge....I may be interested.
                      I'd be willing to pay if someone has one near my area!

Comment

Just buy a new set of high dollar tires for your truck or SUV and start driving the fence lines. You will find more sheds than you want. Don't forget a case of Fix-A-flat.

Comment

8 months in training my first “working/house” dog so take all of the following with a grain of salt. My main focus is retrieving and then flushing birds but the largest influence in my training style is a guy who specializes in shed dogs.

Short answer:

https://www.dogbonehunter.com and his YouTube channel

Long answer:

1st write down everything you want from your dog. obedience (sit, stay, off, place, recall, heel...)
                          Mannerisms (potty trained, not begging for food, furniture rules, chewing rules, behavior around kids other dogs and strangers...)
                          Basic skills (retrieval, soft mouth, steadiness, hunt...)
                          Advanced skills (handling, honoring,...)
                          You’ll end up adding to this as you go and learn more most likely.

Next read a book on training cover to cover any book is fine just get a good idea of the time and flow of training. Start watching YouTube videos of professional training to understand how to act around a dog and read a dog. (I was far and away mistaken on this part. Dogs pick up on very subtle changes and you rarely need to be “hard” on a dog especially a young pup. Save that for life saving corrections if they ever arise)

I wish I would have done all of this before I picked out a dog. Thankfully I got super lucky and had a recommendation that worked out such that I ended up with a stud of a dog and I had some help in how to start my training off. The last step and probably the most crucial in reaching all of your written goals is to set aside 30min to an hour every single day for training.

I used/am using dokkens retriever training book and the dogbonehunter YouTube channel. I opted to positive reinforcement style of training vs shock collars.

Last thing is to put in the work and be patient, I constantly have to remind myself that she is always learning and I’ve taught this little pup everything she knows so ultimately I am responsible for her mistakes.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1085.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	24644423

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by meshmover67 View Post
                            8 months in training my first “working/house” dog so take all of the following with a grain of salt. My main focus is retrieving and then flushing birds but the largest influence in my training style is a guy who specializes in shed dogs.

Short answer:

https://www.dogbonehunter.com and his YouTube channel

Long answer:

1st write down everything you want from your dog. obedience (sit, stay, off, place, recall, heel...)
                            Mannerisms (potty trained, not begging for food, furniture rules, chewing rules, behavior around kids other dogs and strangers...)
                            Basic skills (retrieval, soft mouth, steadiness, hunt...)
                            Advanced skills (handling, honoring,...)
                            You’ll end up adding to this as you go and learn more most likely.

Next read a book on training cover to cover any book is fine just get a good idea of the time and flow of training. Start watching YouTube videos of professional training to understand how to act around a dog and read a dog. (I was far and away mistaken on this part. Dogs pick up on very subtle changes and you rarely need to be “hard” on a dog especially a young pup. Save that for life saving corrections if they ever arise)

I wish I would have done all of this before I picked out a dog. Thankfully I got super lucky and had a recommendation that worked out such that I ended up with a stud of a dog and I had some help in how to start my training off. The last step and probably the most crucial in reaching all of your written goals is to set aside 30min to an hour every single day for training.

I used/am using dokkens retriever training book and the dogbonehunter YouTube channel. I opted to positive reinforcement style of training vs shock collars.

Last thing is to put in the work and be patient, I constantly have to remind myself that she is always learning and I’ve taught this little pup everything she knows so ultimately I am responsible for her mistakes.
                            [ATTACH]1040036[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Tailgate pics with a Ceasar...well played

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=Dale Moser;15457758]Really? I’ll just assume that was a question, since it’s got as much punctuation as it does tact.

Dogs, that are trained to use their noses to find and retrieve shed antlers.

If you’re gonna be a smart ***, try not to be such a dumb ***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote
                              Last edited by RiverRat00; 02-09-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

antler dogs out of Kansas. Has great labs you can buy them already trained you get a six month to year old dog ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X