Duck Dog Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Dog Questions

1. Where does your duck dog sleep? Inside/outside/crate/bed?
    2. What are some key things to teach your dog or introduce your dog early on (first 4 months)
    3. What are your must have training tools to use to start training your dog at 4 months?
    4. Your biggest do's and don'ts
    5. Which name- Ace or Jake

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
    2. What are some key things to teach your dog or introduce your dog early on (first 4 months)
    3. What are your must have training tools to use to start training your dog at 4 months?
    1. Where does your duck dog sleep? Inside/outside/crate/bed? Inside on her bed which is beside our bed. She is an awesome family pet as well as great hunting dog.
    2. What are some key things to teach your dog or introduce your dog early on (first 4 months) Basic Obedience, drill these into their skull. Sit, Stay (i use sit as both sit and stay). heel, here.
    3. What are your must have training tools to use to start training your dog at 4 months? Check Chord/leash
    4. Your biggest do's and don'ts - be patient and keep training sessions short, It will still be a pup so keeping them short will be good as they are easily distracted. Also, be consistent with your training. 20-30 minutes once a day is all it takes to get a great dog.
    5. Which name- Ace or Jake - Ace

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde12 View Post
      1. Where does your duck dog sleep? Inside/outside/crate/bed? Inside on her bed which is beside our bed. She is an awesome family pet as well as great hunting dog.
      2. What are some key things to teach your dog or introduce your dog early on (first 4 months) Basic Obedience, drill these into their skull. Sit, Stay (i use sit as both sit and stay). heel, here.
      3. What are your must have training tools to use to start training your dog at 4 months? Check Chord/leash
      4. Your biggest do's and don'ts - be patient and keep training sessions short, It will still be a pup so keeping them short will be good as they are easily distracted. Also, be consistent with your training. 20-30 minutes once a day is all it takes to get a great dog.
      5. Which name- Ace or Jake - Ace

Thank you! I have a friend warning me about letting him sleep inside, but i have a 2 and 3 year old. I won't be able to help this dog from not becoming a family pet as well as a hunting dog!

Comment

1. Anywhere but the bed, and outside in the summer.
        2. Start basic obedience day one. Make lots of noise while they’re eating ( clap have over their head, bang pots and pans.)
        3. Whistle, short leash, long check cord.
        4. Don’t over do it. Do make it fun and always end in a positive note. ( fun retrieves)
        5. I’m partial to ace, but he was one of the best dogs I ever hunted behind.

Comment

1 In a crate inside. Will make life easier. Especially because the first 2-3 years every time you stop out of the house it will destroy stuff if you don't crate it.

2 Expose to gunfire and dead birds ASAP and often. First teach come here, sit, stay, play fetch. Then introduce retrieve on command. And tons of water time early!

3 Decide on command words and stick with them permanent. Such as go get it, his name, heel, etc. And if you want to use a whistle.

4 Bumpers and a lead. Balls for play time, bumpers mean work.

5 don't let puppies get bad habits. And keep training short. 5-10 minutes a session is a more than enough.

I really recommend water dog if you are going to make a family/ duck dog. Great manual even though old. I am about to train my next lab and will use again. Current girl is on season 10. Time to train a new workhorse.

6 I like the name Ace.

Good luck! They are a lot of work but there is nothing better than a finely tuned duck machine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

First of all, if you do not already have the pup, you should start training at 7 weeks. At 4 months, your pup should be basically trained with obedience as well as retrieving to hand.
            If you already have the pup and he's 4 months old, Start obedience training immediately and constantly (by that I mean correct bad behavior every time he does something you do not want him to do). The very first command your pup should learn is "NO". Until he learns that no means stop doing what you are doing immediately and do something else until you no longer get the NO command. No other training can occur until your pup knows what NO means.

Buy: Water Dog by Richard Wolters, a 7' leather leash, a choke collar, and a whistle, and some bumpers/dummies to use for training.
            Read the book and do EXACTLY what it says. The updated DVD of the book is a good thing to have as well. If you follow that book and/or the DVD, you will have a pup that will be a great companion, hunting partner and family member as long as he lives.

If he's already 4 months old, he needs to be introduced to gunfire (blanks, banging pots n pans, something that is a sharp noise) and associate it always with something good like food or bumper play.

ACE!

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
              1 In a crate inside. Will make life easier. Especially because the first 2-3 years every time you stop out of the house it will destroy stuff if you don't crate it.

2 Expose to gunfire and dead birds ASAP and often. First teach come here, sit, stay, play fetch. Then introduce retrieve on command. And tons of water time early!

3 Decide on command words and stick with them permanent. Such as go get it, his name, heel, etc. And if you want to use a whistle.

4 Bumpers and a lead. Balls for play time, bumpers mean work.

5 don't let puppies get bad habits. And keep training short. 5-10 minutes a session is a more than enough.

I really recommend water dog if you are going to make a family/ duck dog. Great manual even though old. I am about to train my next lab and will use again. Current girl is on season 10. Time to train a new workhorse.

6 I like the name Ace.

Good luck! They are a lot of work but there is nothing better than a finely tuned duck machine.

What a GREAT pic!!
              When you get your pup, get the DVD version of Wolter's book. His son-in-law has updated he training a bit. It's still Wolters's methodology but he also adds in forced retreiving and such.

Also, I teach every dog I or my wife owns to come to the whistle... It has been my experience that sometimes, especially when they get to that adolescent age, when they decide they're going to show you whose boss, they will ignore voice command(s), but instinctively they will NOT disobey the whistle...

Comment

First of a arecyou getting a puppy? If so then it should sleep in a crate in the house only coming out to go relieve itself (house breaking) train or play with the kids while under supervision . For me a young dog is always in the crate til its 1 5 years old then it gets free run in the house. Your constantly traing from the first day you get the pup so keep the sessions short and enjoyable for you and pup and never try to train when you are angry.

Comment

First.... water dog by Wolters

First and a half.... get wings in their mouth the day you bring them home, make it a fun and rewarding thing.

Second.... crate training, early and often. They need to know what is there space, and what is not their space... and respect that.

Third... use the crate for comfy sleep time with toys... and empty the crate and use it for discipline as well.

Fourth... Most important command (in my opinion) WHOA.... good for when they break in the front yard after a rabbit and head into the street.... good for when they see something like a snake etc... good for when they are a bit frantic and excited - gets them to stop and focus.

Pack order is important, and can become a challenge as they mature. I generally feed my pups out of my hand the first couple of weeks they are home. They need to know where food comes from.... me.... not magically appearing in a bowl. Teach them that the food is yours and you actually give them opportunity to eat it. Will alleviate food aggression. My pups will generally back off the bowl and sit if I walk up next to them while they are eating. Important if you are going to have kids around as well. Also - make lots of noise when you feed them... helps them associate loud noises (guns) with pleasure. The loud noise is done in a playful and fun way. Just be careful that you dont get them too amped up when they put their face in the bowl

Once they know their spot, know who's boss, are respectful and well behaved... they can have special time on the couch or on my lap. It isnt their couch, they cant stay all day.

Comment

My dog was my best friend, went everywhere, slept in the house, in the bed where ever he was comfortable.

Teach them obedience, your dog is only as good as the teacher. Get mad at your self before you get mad at the dog.

Get them used to the sounds of gunfire, preferably at a distance before up close. don't make them gun shy, perhaps to a skeet range.

Start them on duck, goose wings or live quail, you get to train the dog and eat the bird.

What ever you do keep it simple and make it FUN..... Shot and steady schedule.

GUN Dog is a great book to follow.

Good luck and have fun

Comment

Update: the puppy we are picking up Sunday will be 8 weeks old to the day. I have ordered the dvd water dog. also ordered Tom Dokkens "retreiver training".

Puppy comes from good line, i know the breeder and he owns the momma. Most importantly, i trust him.

Excited to get this process started and I am sure i will have more questions for the green screen.

Comment

Good luck!! You do that that DVD says, you'll be amazed how easy it is!! You are in for a heck of a good time and some of the best days afield you've ever had!! Nothing like watching a good dog work, especially YOUR dog!! You'll be a little behind schedule on the training not getting him at 49 days, but you can make up that ground fast... Just make it fun for the first few weeks... He first needs to know he's part of the family and even the training sessions are lighthearted and fun. You'll be able to tell when it's time to get "serious" about training and make sure the pup knows training is all business... That's not for the new pup but one that is adjusted to family life...
                        Congratulations on the new addition to the family...

Give us some details... what breed/color? Pics? I just got me a new lab last Christmas after being without one since 2013, and I am thoroughly enjoying her, though I was not diligent in my training of her like I was in the past... Still lots of fun to have a new partner tho...

As others have said and I mentioned, introduce her to gunfire or similar very early on and associate it with fun stuff... I have used an old 22 blank pistol on several dogs... shoot the pistol and give them their food... After about a week of doing that each day, when they hear the old revolver cock, they get all kinds of excited... Usually hunt with a pump gun, and when they'd hear that pump, it was ON!!

You're in for fun times!!

Comment

Jake

What breed?

Comment

What kind of duck dog - labs which I assume you're getting are different from versatile dogs such as GSPs, Vs, PPs and WPGs, etc

Comment

Update: the puppy we are picking up Sunday will be 8 weeks old to the day. I have ordered the dvd water dog. also ordered Tom Dokkens "retreiver training".

Puppy comes from good line, i know the breeder and he owns the momma. Most importantly, i trust him.

Excited to get this process started and I am sure i will have more questions for the green screen.
                              Wonder if we're getting from the same litter? I'm planning to pick my new girl up Saturday. I think mines in ennis.

Love that on this forum people appreciate water dog! Go to some of those "retriever" pages and you better bring an umbrella for the storm of don't hunt until 2 years old! Force fetch! No family dogs! No playtime! Love outside in a cage and only work! Lol.

Enjoy the pup!

Comment

Working...
                              X