Back Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Surgery

Met with the doctor and were going to do surgery. I will need to fuse L4-S1 with a spacer disk between my l4-l5 because my old disk is pretty much doing nothing right now.
    Its been about 8 years of pain and I pretty much cant take it anymore.

I've read on here a lot of good information about the surgeries but my question is for anyone that had this surgery done...

How long were you out for? What can i expect after surgery? Anyone regret it that had it years ago? picking up my kids? They said driving would be like 2 weeks out? Anything else I'm missing? Trying to prepare myself...

They said 4 weeks out but I'm trying to convince myself 2 weeks. Im in pretty good shape hopefully that helps otherwise.

Only good news is....I got a little over a month before its done so i will be able to get the rest of my hunting season in!

Bud to be fair to your self you will need about 90 days plus before you will be allowed to lift much over a gallon of milk, no shooting, boat riding, or any activity that will jar your back.

Keep in mind that you have been hurting for8 years.... Don't rush it no matter how good you feel. This is a pay me now or pay latter scenario.

Once you feel better get to where you can walk a mile every day and keep walking will help a lot.

Gook Luck...

Comment

If you don't have it already get a high toilet- also get a chair in the living room that is easy to get out of. 3-4 months before you really do anything. And I have been in athletic shape for my entire life. Rehab a full shoulder and back to shooting a bow and full duty 5 weeks post op.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
        Bud to be fair to your self you will need about 90 days plus before you will be allowed to lift much over a gallon of milk, no shooting, boat riding, or any activity that will jar your back.

Keep in mind that you have been hurting for8 years.... Don't rush it no matter how good you feel. This is a pay me now or pay latter scenario.

Once you feel better get to where you can walk a mile every day and keep walking will help a lot.

Gook Luck...

He was telling me i should be able to pick up my kids but nothing out in front of my body with arms extended but that didnt make much sense to me. being my kids weigh roughly 30-35 lbs.

Thanks for the info, just trying to face reality of what to expect...i have high hopes for quick recovery but who knows....

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          If you don't have it already get a high toilet- also get a chair in the living room that is easy to get out of. 3-4 months before you really do anything. And I have been in athletic shape for my entire life. Rehab a full shoulder and back to shooting a bow and full duty 5 weeks post op.
          Thanks ill keep that in mind...we have a glider which seems like its easy to get up out of. We have some low toilets so i might need to look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter5 View Post
            Thanks ill keep that in mind...we have a glider which seems like its easy to get up out of. We have some low toilets so i might need to look into that.
            Stay away from gliders or swivel chairs(recliners are low and can be raised with a 2x4 frame covered in plywood) Bedside commode(can be used to raise toilet seat height), shower chair, reacher, handheld shower head, sock/shoe kit. You won’t be able to bend over and put your shoes on. No pushing/pulling, lifting, twisting. Practice log-rolling to get in and out of bed without twisting your back.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
              Stay away from gliders or swivel chairs(recliners are low and can be raised with a 2x4 frame covered in plywood) Bedside commode(can be used to raise toilet seat height), shower chair, reacher, handheld shower head, sock/shoe kit. You won’t be able to bend over and put your shoes on. No pushing/pulling, lifting, twisting. Practice log-rolling to get in and out of bed without twisting your back.
              All of this. I’ve had two major back surgeries-23 years apart-and neither were easy recoveries. Takes time but both were definitely worth it.

Comment

So your saying raise the recliners with plywood? not a bad idea just making sure. I was thinking the recliner might be to cushioned to sit in.
                We have a zero gravity bed which also inclines to an almost up position to get out of bed easier which should help.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                  All of this. I’ve had two major back surgeries-23 years apart-and neither were easy recoveries. Takes time but both were definitely worth it.
                  Im hoping its worth it...i have 2 young boys that keep me busy outside so I'm trying to get this fixed already. Hard to enjoy time with them sometimes because of the pain.

Comment

- you will need to learn how to "log Roll" to get up. After the first two weeks it gets a lot better. But that is the problem - you feel better but the bones are not fused to the hardware yet. As far as rehab- the best rehab is walking and more walking.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter5 View Post
                      So your saying raise the recliners with plywood? not a bad idea just making sure. I was thinking the recliner might be to cushioned to sit in.
                      We have a zero gravity bed which also inclines to an almost up position to get out of bed easier which should help.
                      Build a frame(slightly bigger than the base of your recliner) out of 2x4s with a cross brace. Cover with plywood. Screw recliner to the box to keep from sliding. Place a pillow in the recliner for needed support. You want a firm base to push up from and swivel chairs/gliders move too much

Comment

Have your doctor order home health so a therapist can work with you at home. They can also do a home safety eval to make sure you are set up correctly.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys, I will definitely get a head start on this.

Comment

Have your doctor order home health so a therapist can work with you at home. They can also do a home safety eval to make sure you are set up correctly.
                            Is therapy required after surgery? Or will they just have stuff for me to work on. like different stretches and what not.

Comment

I had L4-5 fused 10 years ago and L5-S1 fused 4 years ago. I'm not going to lie, in the moment is really sucks and is very painful. Looking back though it is well worth the pain and has given me my life back in both cases. Mine were emergency surgeries in both cases because I almost couldn't walk both times and was in severe pain. The last one I had I was in the hospital for 5 days, in the gym walking on the treadmill after 2 weeks, and lifting some after 2 months. I still have occasional pain but I spend a lot of time in the gym and lift heavy, I think this might also be why I recovered quickly. I am 42 now and hope to not have to do another one but if I blow another disc I will run to my surgeon to get it fixed asap so I can get back to life. Praying for you brother. Please pray for me as well as I am having my shoulder rebuilt on Thursday morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X