My shoulder hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My shoulder hurts

I shot 40# limbs all summer with no issues. Then, I started shooting more in October and started to feel a little tweak at the top of my left shoulder (I'm right handed).

Then I put on my 50# limbs and my shoulder really started talking.

It's at the top of my shoulder, I call it my rotator cuff. May not be exactly accurate.

It hurts less if I don't shoot for a day or two.

Is there something in my form that could've caused this?

Start doing more push up! and shoulder and upper back stretches. If it persists, might want to consult a dr. Maybe something more serious.

Comment

One of the upper biceps tendons comes right over the top, kinda forward of center the shoulder. I’d bet it’s inflamed and some type of NSAID should help with the pain. I’m still recovering from shoulder surgery in September and that is a pain I still have. Ibuprofen is a wonderful thing!

Comment

Internal and external rotation exercises are the best for your rotator cuff. You can use a cable machine with weights (light weights), or just a stretchy exercise band.....

Do some other shoulder exercises for your delts (front, medial, and rear) and traps too.

Comment

Is the pain right on the very top of the shoulder just past the end of the collarbone? Is it tender to the touch? If so it could be bursitis. There is a bursa on top of the shoulder joint that can get inflamed for various reasons. I have flare-ups of this occasionally in my left shoulder and it makes it impossible to lift my bow arm high enough to shoot.

Comment

Thanks guys.

It's not tender to the touch. Just hurts when put a load on it when drawing my bow.

I think doing some additional exercises as suggested should help.

I don't understand how the average guy can hunt with a 60# and higher bow without wrecking their shoulder.

Comment

Try lowering your draw arm elbow as you draw and rotate it up after your back tension takes hold. Your back tension should be doing the bulk of the draw work.

Gary
              Last edited by DRT; 11-13-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I had an 85# Grevy Longbow, finally gave it to my brother, thing caused aftershock!
                I shoot a 62# now and it is pretty easy to shoot. Need to keep those specific muscles groups worked.

Comment

Mine does too, and knees, and thumbs. Now if that will just tie together I’ll hurt all over !

The exercises in Shane’s post might help. They helped me, but you just have to keep them up.

Comment

G. Fred Asbell had and article in Bowhunter, also Traditional Bowhunter (I believe) "Strong like a bull" exercises with rubber exercise bands that really help.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
                      Thanks guys.

It's not tender to the touch. Just hurts when put a load on it when drawing my bow.

I think doing some additional exercises as suggested should help.

I don't understand how the average guy can hunt with a 60# and higher bow without wrecking their shoulder.
                      I have this happen once a year or so and go see a good chiropractor for a couple of months to clear it up... I shoot 72#’s every day and the chiropractor has done wonders for me! A good one will also tell you whether it’s something they can address or not... good luck!

Comment

If I don't keep my front bow shoulder down my shoulder starts to ache too. Get it down, and everthings good.

Comment

I'm having shoulder surgery next week for torn rotator, labrum, and bicep tendon. My bowtech legend 80lb draw will collect dust for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_Archery View Post
                            I have this happen once a year or so and go see a good chiropractor for a couple of months to clear it up... I shoot 72#’s every day and the chiropractor has done wonders for me! A good one will also tell you whether it’s something they can address or not... good luck!
                            Or it could be that it just heals up after a couple of months.

Comment

There's shooting good and there is shooting good and healthy. Find some pictures of Howard Hill and emulate his form as close as you can. As Car54 said, keep that shoulder down and you won't ever have those problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X