X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He also told me he no longer has the velvet rule on axis

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy123 View Post
      I just talked to him not sure what was up with his phone. I booked an axis hunt for this spring. He sent me some pics of some animals and the are really impressive. I don't have have anything but good things to say about him. His prices went up and I think it's only going to help the quality and quantity of animals at his place
      Please give a full report after your trip.

Comment

Yeah he had good animals when we went too, they just magically doubled in price once we unpacked and settled in

Comment

I’ve hunted Keith's places quite a bit, including his newer place in Junction. It's a pretty nice setup, and he's doing more and more stuff to improve it. I've hunted KJO with friends, met many good people there that I now call friends, and now take my boys there. You can’t put a price tag on the memories that I've made with my boys at KJO. My wife likes going also, and she’s not really the outdoor type. She enjoys sitting on the porch watching animals move around - and there are many many animals.

I've always had a great experience and have found Keith to be a great host and guide. He does everything he can to get you on game, but it's up to the hunter to bring it together. We haven't always killed something, but as you know, it's called hunting. In my opinion, his setups are good. I feel good enough about them to allow my 12 and 15 year old boys to hunt them. Most of his setups are big box blinds, so I’m not sure how a box blind would be unsafe. He has a couple of Game Tamer/Woodsy 2 type stands as well. They’re as secure as they can be and like the ones that I’ve hunted at different outfits and hung myself.

I hunted with Keith and others on both models, but honestly prefer the trophy fee model, where you pay if you harvest an animal. His ranch is full of game, including some high-end super exotics. While hunting, I've seen Zebra, Wildebeast, Addax, Oryx, Ibex, at his ranch, plus the usual Axis, Blackbuck, Auodad, Fallow, etc.... Here are some of the animals taken at his Junction ranch over the last couple of years that I have witnessed first hand. It’s been a pretty good couple of years for us. By the way, the picture of the big axis is me. This deer wasn’t fully rubbed out, and it didn't seem to be a problem with Keith. I do know he tried to protect axis in velvet in his previous model, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

I'm going back with my boys this Christmas. Honestly, my kids would rather go to KJO than on a normal vacation, which should tell you everything you need to know. I have no trouble recommending KJO to anyone.

I spoke to him yesterday about our Christmas hunt. The number on the website is correct, and working. When he’s catching deer, he can be hard to get ahold of while in the helicopter, but I find that he’s real good about returning texts.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some more pics that I had on my phone from his place.
            Attached Files

Comment

Those look like some nice animals but we're all shot after the change? I have pretty much kept quiet about this but since it's being brought up and people are going to spend money with this guy I want them to understand what they are dealing with. I have hunted with Keith twice and both times I thought keith was really nice and his new place was going to be fun and have a lot of animals. Well what I found out was that the amount of animals that were claimed to be there were not, we had the entire ranch covered and even some of our group drove around with keith. Now at this time is was the packages not the kill fee method. Here is what KJO had , tons of goats/rams, few audad (couple of nice ones, few black bucks (no trophies), Sika (all doe), then he had some axis (couple of really nice ones but we could not shoot because of velvet policy at the time). He had enough animals were it kept us interested but no real animals to shoot. So pretty much we had enough of getting pulled around by a guy that is a salesman. He did not have what he said he had there and protected his ones he did have. In all honestly if you are looking for a good place to go to Diamond C. Has more than plenty of animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So what's an axis hunt cost now that he has the no velvet policy?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  so what's an axis hunt cost now that he has the no velvet policy?
                  $1800

Comment

He said he's running close to 100 percent success rate now.

Comment

Oh well no wonder he doesn't have the no velvet policy anymore haha. There's. I other fees other than the $1800?

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                        Last time I went was 2012 to pick up my zebra mount and I ended up shooting a 20 lb pig. 2 of my buddies that killed stags with him and had his brother mount it still don't have their mounts. Paid in full and never heard back from him

I Won't go back or anyone in the group I went with will go back either

Only time our group went, we gave our stuff to the same guy and we all put down deposits. Never got our animals or our money back. We won't be back.

Comment

Originally posted by backbone View Post
                          Only time our group went, we gave our stuff to the same guy and we all put down deposits. Never got our animals or our money back. We won't be back.

Guess I got really lucky by getting my zebra back. Have heard of a bunch of people getting burned by this guy

Comment

KJOs

I just went there at the end of OCT it was awesome. We were always in the animals. My buddy shot a nice axis the first sit and my other buddy got a blackbuck the first sit as well. I could of had a fallow or a couple blackbuck over 20" but I was holding out for a zebra. I ended up getting a zebra and added a nice aoudad to the package.

I will definitely be going back. Keith and his guides were extremely welcoming and were willing to do whatever was necessary to try and get the animal that you went there for.

Comment

Originally posted by huntjunky89 View Post
                              I just went there at the end of OCT it was awesome. We were always in the animals. My buddy shot a nice axis the first sit and my other buddy got a blackbuck the first sit as well. I could of had a fallow or a couple blackbuck over 20" but I was holding out for a zebra. I ended up getting a zebra and added a nice aoudad to the package.

I will definitely be going back. Keith and his guides were extremely welcoming and were willing to do whatever was necessary to try and get the animal that you went there for.

Sounds like a good time; thx for the review. Things have definitely changed since I was there two years ago before the kill fee model. If you make money when people kill stuff, it sure makes for quite the win-win. Maybe Keith heard all the complaints and decided to listen...good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by CSIceman View Post
                                Sounds like a good time; thx for the review. Things have definitely changed since I was there two years ago before the kill fee model. If you make money when people kill stuff, it sure makes for quite the win-win. Maybe Keith heard all the complaints and decided to listen...good for him.

He did mention the success rates were lower before he went to only hunting 2 weekends a month and taking 2 off. You could tell that the animals didn't really feel over pressured. My buddy that got the axis still did sits just to get photos with his camera and got some pretty cool ones.

He did talk about switching to the kill fee model he didn't want people paying and leaving with nothing so I am sure he was listening to his hunters on that. The 250 day fee isn't bad but it is applied to whatever you kill which is nice compared to other ranches who add that in addition.

Comment

Working...
                                X