Arrow opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow opinions

Thinking about buying a second bow and setting it up for heavy arrows to hunt hogs and possibly elk (or any other big critters I might get a chance at)

So thinking draw weight at 70# or slightly over

27-28" arrows and aiming for 550 or greater overall weight with a higher FOC

What are some suggestions for me to consider to get to that goal?

I thought I found some 250 spine Carbon Express arrows on sale to try yesterday but luckily I noticed the 250 was not the spine before I bought them.

What bow, poundage, and DL? If you can give me that info I’ll run it through my calculators.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      Thinking about buying a second bow and setting it up for heavy arrows to hunt hogs and possibly elk (or any other big critters I might get a chance at)

So thinking draw weight at 70# or slightly over

27-28" arrows and aiming for 550 or greater overall weight with a higher FOC

What are some suggestions for me to consider to get to that goal?

I thought I found some 250 spine Carbon Express arrows on sale to try yesterday but luckily I noticed the 250 was not the spine before I bought them.
      I started off with GT XT in 340 spine @ 420 grain. I was into speed.
      I got into FOC and switched to a GT PRO shaft same 340 spine. I wanted more FOC so I switched to. GT Pierce shaft in a 250 spine and I'm up around 20% FOC now. However this build is over $30 each. I'm not too keen on flinging a $30+ arrow at a pig. I'm not expecting to get it back. So I have a second build I use on pigs. Similar build except I'm using the GT Warrior shaft & the Grim Reaper Hog head. I add an extra 20 grains FACT weight to the insert.

My quiver holds 5 arrows. I have 3 pig arrows and 2 deer arrows.
      I'll shoot a pig arrow at a deer but not a deer arrow at a pig. Well unless it's Huuuuge :-)

Not sure if you've thought about a custom build. @muddyfuzzy he's one of our resident custom arrow builders.

If I ever get back into bow hunting full time again I'll have him build me a dozen.

I hope this answers your question

Comment

I am using Easton Hexx 260 shafts with 125gr. Ethics inserts/sleeves and 125gr. heads. I am coming in at 540gr. TAW and 17% FOC. The other shaft I am contemplating going to is the Victory RIP TKO. It is even lighter GPI which will give more room for extra weight up front to increase FOC if that is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
          What bow, poundage, and DL? If you can give me that info I’ll run it through my calculators.
          Possibly a Hoyt RX3 at 27.5"DL and 70#

Will definitely be a gently used vs new purchase whatever I decide

PB2 I am all about building my own, unless I can buy exactly what I want for less than I can buy components

Comment

Easton axis are about the best I've found. I have a bow set up just like what you are wanting to do. I Shoot axis 300 with 75 grain brass hits.. if I remember I'm right Round 550 with 125 grain BH and collar. Axis are tough arrows and Made in the USA .

Comment

Axis FMJ 240, 300, or 340 will get you over 500gr. If you want to go 600+ look at the Axis FMJ Dangerous Game version.

Comment

For arrow opinions I will share a list of broad head arrows, if you want to make sure that your shot count. check this list.

Comment

I switched to the micro’s. I’ll never go back to standard. I got twice the penetration. Go to your pro shop and try them.

Comment

Originally posted by LouietheLurker View Post
                    I switched to the micro’s. I’ll never go back to standard. I got twice the penetration. Go to your pro shop and try them.
                    What medium did you get twice the penetration in?

Comment

Interesting thanks

Comment

My current setup:
                        Bowtech Revolt X 28.5", 66lbs
                        Three 2" Rapt-X
                        Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300s
                        100gr brass insert
                        125gr SEVR 2.0/125gr TOA 1 3/16
                        Total weight 520gr
                        265fps and 81lbs of KE, 20% FOC

I think this setup is good enough for any animal I'm going to chase, with the largest on the list Elk/Moose. That said, 95% of the time it will be hunting whitetail under 40 yards. If chasing something in the plains like Pronghorn, I'd likely get rid of the insert of front and get back some speed.

Good luck!
                        Last edited by mzurovec; 09-14-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LouietheLurker View Post
                          Diameter really has nothing to do with penetration unless you're speaking of field tips in foam.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                            My current setup:
                            Bowtech Revolt X 28.5", 66lbs
                            Three 2" Rapt-X
                            Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300s
                            100gr brass insert
                            125gr SEVR 2.0/125gr TOA 1 3/16
                            Total weight 520gr
                            265fps and 81lbs of KE, 20% FOC

I think this setup is good enough for any animal I'm going to chase, with the largest on the list Elk/Moose. That said, 95% of the time it will be hunting whitetail under 40 yards. If chasing something in the plains like Pronghorn, I'd likely get rid of the insert of front and get back some speed.

Good luck!
                            I'm shooting 60lbs
                            GT Velocity 300s
                            150 gr brass insert
                            100 gr Exodous head
                            Total weight 530gr, 18.5% FOC

Since going to this arrow setup I shot 2 deer, 1 at 40 yards and 1 at 25. The arrow zipped right through both and the deer reacted the same each time. They didn't know what happened and only took a few steps and then stood there until they tipped over.

Comment

I'm similar to Duckologist.

60 lbs, 27.5 inch draw
                              Hoyt Ventum 30
                              Gold Tip Velocity hunters in 300 spine
                              Cut to 28 inches (cut from the side that wobbles the most)
                              100 grain Ethics steel inserts
                              150 grain Magnus Stinger
                              525 grains of total arrow weight, right around 19% FOC
                              They've zipped through everything I've shot to date

Comment

Working...
                              X