Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saltwater Trolling motor, leave plugged in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JES View Post
    Just to clarify, this is the plug where you plug the TM into the boat, right? Not where you plug between the charger, for onboard chargers, and the wall outlet/power source?
    Yes, this is the trolling motor plug. Not the onboard charger plug, the onboard charger is 110v and has a regular 110v plug. The Battery Tender plug is mounted in your boat's front deck.

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapper101 View Post
      YES! Plug where I plug the trolling motor into the boat! why the hell this wasn't hardwired Ill never understand!
      So you can remove it from the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by BDann View Post
        What about your gps/depth finder? How do you prevent corrosion in the connections?
        Corrosion X

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
          Corrosion X
          Thanks! I've been having trouble getting my Lowrance to power up occasionally, figured the connection was the problem. It doesn't happen when I use it in the house with a 12 volt battery and a new power cord.

Comment

Dielectric grease! WOW, never heard of it! I cant wait for amazon!

Comment

My TM is plugged in only when in the boat. I take mine off pretty regular so not being hardwired is handy as hell. I still have the original plug on it from 2014. I also use 4d40 and corrosion x

My perko switch stays on nearly all the time. Ive thought about getting rid of it completely.

As for battery chargers.....Ive left them in 24/7 and felt like it cooked the batteries (even with a quality charger). My boat stays in my garage so Ive got the luxury to walk out and plug them in for a few days then unplug for a few weeks.

Comment

Interesting topic…I never unplug my trolling motor from the bow. I have ask the question about leaving my trolling motor batteries on charge 24/7 when the boat is not in use as well. I just don’t know what’s the right way. Have talked with two different shops near Beaumont and both shops said no problem leaving the batteries on charge all the time. They actually recommend that and they stated they do that with their boats. I just changed all three (36 volt) trolling motor batts and ask this same question again a few months ago and got that answer. I also ask a couple guys who are pro-am fishermen and they said they leave them charging 24/7. I’m not sure what’s right, but I leave mine charging all the time now. I even asked about battery memory and they laughed and said that’s not a thing? You also hear to flush your motor each time after salt water use-I always do this. I’ve fished with guides in Louisiana for 15+ years and their boats stay in the water and they never flush them? They consistently get ~1500 hrs on motors with very few probs? It does appear the more frequently you can use the motor, the better it performs. I just don’t know….interested to read the feedback and learn.

Comment

And get a can of this. Hit all your electrical connections. Battery terminals, trolling motor plug, fuel gauge sender connections, etc. It's thick and nasty but it works.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cor...0%7C%20Fishing

The boeshield T9 works fantastic on connections too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapper101 View Post
                    Dielectric grease! WOW, never heard of it! I cant wait for amazon!
                    Good for feeder battery connections as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      Dielectric grease is your friend
                      I am a believer in this. I use it on all my electronics

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                        Interesting topic…I never unplug my trolling motor from the bow. I have ask the question about leaving my trolling motor batteries on charge 24/7 when the boat is not in use as well. I just don’t know what’s the right way. Have talked with two different shops near Beaumont and both shops said no problem leaving the batteries on charge all the time. They actually recommend that and they stated they do that with their boats. I just changed all three (36 volt) trolling motor batts and ask this same question again a few months ago and got that answer. I also ask a couple guys who are pro-am fishermen and they said they leave them charging 24/7. I’m not sure what’s right, but I leave mine charging all the time now. I even asked about battery memory and they laughed and said that’s not a thing? You also hear to flush your motor each time after salt water use-I always do this. I’ve fished with guides in Louisiana for 15+ years and their boats stay in the water and they never flush them? They consistently get ~1500 hrs on motors with very few probs? It does appear the more frequently you can use the motor, the better it performs. I just don’t know….interested to read the feedback and learn.

The difference is those guys are running their boats nearly everyday. The salt doesnt get a chance to sit up in the motor like the average guy

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          The difference is those guys are running their boats nearly everyday. The salt doesnt get a chance to sit up in the motor like the average guy
                          Yup... never gets a chance to crystallize. You can bet if they're not going to run it for 4 or 5 days it's going to get a flush.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            You can bet if they're not going to run it for 4 or 5 days it's going to get a flush.
                            I bet you are wrong.

Comment

I bet you are wrong.
                              Well they've got more money than me **** guides are trouble makers anyway.

Comment

This is the Battery Tender trolling motor plug on my boat. Just to show you what it looks like installed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X