The Hog Book from Meateater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
    Jesse is a great representative for the hunting community. Super nice guy. Great restaurant he has there.

I met him through a buddy that has a few bbq food trucks in Austin and Jessie is passionate for sure. He has turned many of those Austin hippies on to the “organic” meat and it’s good for the image of hunters for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just ordered one for myself and one as a gift.

Comment

Got mine today. Must have been sitting in the mailbox for a few days. It's a hefty book full of pics of butchering and lots of recipes.

Comment

I butchered so many hogs in my life I could write a book about it.
          Not!

Comment

So two things from the book that stood out to me and curious y'all experience:
            1) He advises against "ice washing". He keeps them cold and dry...I've always let the blood drain off in the ice...but I'm interested to try bagging them before icing to see the results

2) He guts head down...when reading this part, it just seemed more complicated, more likely to nick the guts and more likely taint something for someone working late at night (and i a different "butcher class" than him) . I've always gutted head up and then flip them once gutted

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
              1) He advises against "ice washing". He keeps them cold and dry...I've always let the blood drain off in the ice...but I'm interested to try bagging them before icing to see the results

2) He guts head down...when reading this part, it just seemed more complicated, more likely to nick the guts and more likely taint something for someone working late at night (and i a different "butcher class" than him) . I've always gutted head up and then flip them once gutted
              Both of those things are personal choice. It don’t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                Both of those things are personal choice. It don’t matter.
                I mean your right it is personal choice.. But any meat that gets wet turns gray and gross. Bagging def works better

Comment

I haven’t read the book, however I’ve always gutted head down if not field dressed. I’ve tried head up, and head down is just easier for me. As far as the ice thing goes my dad always did that and ever since I started storing my venison or wild game dry but cold I can’t go back. Venison that hasn’t been washed if it’s natural flavor is 100x better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess you don't know until you try it..next hog is getting gutted head down and going in the cooler dry

Comment

I’m intrigued. Gonna order a couple.

Comment

bagging the meat is the way to go. Do it once and I doubt you go back. Floppy meat is a pain. If I can't hang them, I bag them!

Comment

Working...
                        X