Any lawyers cruise the green screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any lawyers cruise the green screen?

The short story is I commissioned a shop to restore a 57’ Chevy Apache, he found the truck and stated 6-9 months to complete(stated on bill of sale). I am now on month 27 and still not complete. Can I ask for my money back or am I tied to it? What could I do or what should I do?

Also, the vin code was NOT stated on bill of sale. It says TBD for vin.

I know this isn’t answering your question but... my grandfather has a 57 bel air that he had someone work on. Kind of a “my buddy knows a guy that knows a guy” kind deal. He dropped the car off at the guys shop and kept getting the run around for months. Eventually he had enough and went to go pick it up and the car was gone along with the guy. He reported it stolen but he also decided he’d try to get to the bottom of it himself. He asked around the area where the shop was and found out the guy lived in a neighboring town but didn’t know the address, just kind of a general area. He spent a solid couple of days just driving up and down the streets and by luck saw the front of the car hanging out of a shed behind this dudes house. I know it’s not the same situation you’re in, just thought I would share the crazy story.

Comment

Originally posted by C.patterson View Post
      I know this isn’t answering your question but... my grandfather has a 57 bel air that he had someone work on. Kind of a “my buddy knows a guy that knows a guy” kind deal. He dropped the car off at the guys shop and kept getting the run around for months. Eventually he had enough and went to go pick it up and the car was gone along with the guy. He reported it stolen but he also decided he’d try to get to the bottom of it himself. He asked around the area where the shop was and found out the guy lived in a neighboring town but didn’t know the address, just kind of a general area. He spent a solid couple of days just driving up and down the streets and by luck saw the front of the car hanging out of a shed behind this dudes house. I know it’s not the same situation you’re in, just thought I would share the crazy story.
      Don't leave us hanging! Was there an arse whuppin' delivered that day?

Comment

I commissioned someone to build me a 1967 Mustang Fastback. When it was 18 mo late, and I’d been given every excuse in the book, I told them I wanted my money back. They refused. I sued them and got 100% of my money back in a settlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          I commissioned someone to build me a 1967 Mustang Fastback. When it was 18 mo late, and I’d been given every excuse in the book, I told them I wanted my money back. They refused. I sued them and got 100% of my money back in a settlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I know of one for sale now, if you’re still looking

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
            I know of one for sale now, if you’re still looking

Send me a PM. My dream car!!!

Comment

Dang. That sucks. I wouldn't be overly worried about the vin if he didn't have a truck to start with. But after 3 years I'd be looking for my money

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can get my truck soon but at least I know an option. Any more info, please share.

Hopefully some good can come of this and curtintex will find his dream car! Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

You may have a claim. Do you know what was the deposit used for ? Has the mechanic incurred reasonable expenses ? Were thier communications throughout the process ? Did you know of and agree with his non-performance ? Is there a reasonable possibility, the the mechanic ordered parts or service that were delayed due to reasons beyond his control (e.g. Severe weather, COVID, etc. ) What's the current condition of the vehicle ?

Comment

Half of the payment was given to find the 57’ truck, he has a yard full of truck cabs/parts, he then sent a grainy photo of a 57’ truck that does not match my current cab, then the second half of the payment was given to begin and complete the project. So he was fully paid within the first month of order, December 2018. Communication was ok throughout the process but caught him in several outright lies but kept my mouth shut since he has my money. Performance was not discussed other then verbally promised 6-9 month completion AND Bill of Sale stating estimated time of delivery June-Aug 2019. The vehicle is roughly 60-70% complete and way over due. Obviously if he was on schedule, covid would not have played a factor in my build.

I’m just unsure if going the legal route will speed my build or if I can get my money back...

Comment

If you go the legal route, im not sure you will want him to ‘complete’ the build. I would suggest going the legal route however, and either settle on the truck plus x amount of money from him, or cut your losses totally and try to get all your money back and leave the truck with him. Now im not a lawyer and have never dealt with this before, its just my thoughts on your situation. Good luck in whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MVD View Post
                        Half of the payment was given to find the 57’ truck, he has a yard full of truck cabs/parts, he then sent a grainy photo of a 57’ truck that does not match my current cab, then the second half of the payment was given to begin and complete the project. So he was fully paid within the first month of order, December 2018. Communication was ok throughout the process but caught him in several outright lies but kept my mouth shut since he has my money. Performance was not discussed other then verbally promised 6-9 month completion AND Bill of Sale stating estimated time of delivery June-Aug 2019. The vehicle is roughly 60-70% complete and way over due. Obviously if he was on schedule, covid would not have played a factor in my build.

I’m just unsure if going the legal route will speed my build or if I can get my money back...
                        I would not go the legal route until there is no other route.

So you paid him in full before he even started work on it? What does he say when you confront him about this?

Comment

Yep, paid him in full like an idiot. Lesson learned here! I’ve asked for the money back 3 times, he keeps telling me I’m next up and I will have it in a month or two. These conversations began in July 2019 when it was just a frame with new brake/fuel lines. Back in September 2020, he and I had a discussion saying if it wasn’t complete by November 1 that discounts would start. He is now declining to offer any money back.

Comment

Working...
                          X