Homemade weed killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade weed killer?

Does anyone make up their own and would like to share the recipe. Thanks -TS

1 gallon 20% vinegar. One cup Orange oil. Lil bit of liquid dish soap. You can use salt instead of orange oil but it tends to bind up the soil a little bit.

Comment

1 gallon vinegar
      2 cups Epson salt
      1/4 cup Dawn dish soap (the original blue one)

Spray in the morning after the dew has evaporated.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        1 gallon 20% vinegar. One cup Orange oil. Lil bit of liquid dish soap. You can use salt instead of orange oil but it tends to bind up the soil a little bit.
        This^^. I have read 10% vinegar can be used. When the sun is hot, spray and come back 5 minutes later and you can see weeds browning.

Comment

Boiling water.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
            1 gallon vinegar
            2 cups Epson salt
            1/4 cup Dawn dish soap (the original blue one)

Spray in the morning after the dew has evaporated.
            I have heard of this recipe, but do you know if it will "poison" (or venomize ) the soil so desirous plants won't grow? Roundup is neutralized (or something like that) when it contacts the soil, but I have wondered if the vinegar changes the soil composition so grass won't grow.

Also, does the vinegar recipe kill any vegetation it comes in contact with, or only weeds?

Comment

For serious jobs: 2 parts used motor oil, 1 part diesel.....doesn't look purdy but it works!...for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                I have heard of this recipe, but do you know if it will "poison" (or venomize ) the soil so desirous plants won't grow? Roundup is neutralized (or something like that) when it contacts the soil, but I have wondered if the vinegar changes the soil composition so grass won't grow.

Also, does the vinegar recipe kill any vegetation it comes in contact with, or only weeds?
                You got it backwards. Lots of data that shows Roundup stays in the soil and contaminates it. Here's a few to start.

Natural Organic Gardening and Living information, advice and recommendations.

Poison of the Week

ROUNDUP

This has been one of the most brilliantly market products ever. People think it is total non-toxic and completely safe product to use. People have been lead to believe that it becomes inactive when it hits the soil. Well, all of that is B.S.!

Roundup is far more dangerous than advertised (and promoted by the toxic chemical pushers), does damage to soil life, and despite claims to the contrary, it will kill trees and other desirable plants. I was personally involved in a project in north Dallas where weeds growing through concrete pavers in street medians were sprayed with Roundup. All the live oaks died. In addition, several of my arborist and superintendent friends have reported damage to trees from this herbicide.

As to the claim by the chemical pushers, if not the manufacturers, that the product becomes inactive when it hits the soil is simply not true. There is data related to soil health damage and also more hard data that Roundup has appeared in the ground water. How can it be found in streams and ground water if it breaks down on the surface of the soil?

A longtime government researcher says Monsanto's billion-dollar poison is undermining soil health. The regulatory response: silence.

Comment

The vinegar concoction will burn anything you put it on. I don't think it's a systemic killer though like Roundup is. So spraying it under a fruit tree won't kill the tree like Roundup can.

Comment

Round up is an environmental disasater.

Heavy use of herbicide Roundup linked to health dangers-U.S. study
                    Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49pm EDT

* Study says chemical residues linked to disease

* Roundup developer Monsanto says glyphosate is safe

* Researchers say more study is needed

By Carey Gillam

April 25 (Reuters) - Heavy use of the world's most popular herbicide, Roundup, could be linked to a range of health problems and diseases, including Parkinson's, infertility and cancers, according to a new study.

The peer-reviewed report, published last week in the scientific journal Entropy, said evidence indicates that residues of "glyphosate," the chief ingredient in Roundup weed killer, which is sprayed over millions of acres of crops, has been found in food.

Those residues enhance the damaging effects of other food-borne chemical residues and toxins in the environment to disrupt normal body functions and induce disease, according to the report, authored by Stephanie Seneff, a research scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Anthony Samsel, a retired science consultant from Arthur D. Little, Inc. Samsel is a former private environmental government contractor as well as a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists.

"Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body," the study says.

We "have hit upon something very important that needs to be taken seriously and further investigated," Seneff said.

Environmentalists, consumer groups and plant scientists from several countries have warned that heavy use of glyphosate is causing problems for plants, people and animals.

The EPA is conducting a standard registration review of glyphosate and has set a deadline of 2015 for determining if glyphosate use should be limited. The study is among many comments submitted to the agency.

Monsanto is the developer of both Roundup herbicide and a suite of crops that are genetically altered to withstand being sprayed with the Roundup weed killer.

These biotech crops, including corn, soybeans, canola and sugarbeets, are planted on millions of acres in the United States annually. Farmers like them because they can spray Roundup weed killer directly on the crops to kill weeds in the fields without harming the crops.

Roundup is also popularly used on lawns, gardens and golf courses.

Monsanto and other leading industry experts have said for years that glyphosate is proven safe, and has a less damaging impact on the environment than other commonly used chemicals.

Jerry Steiner, Monsanto's executive vice president of sustainability, reiterated that in a recent interview when questioned about the study.

"We are very confident in the long track record that glyphosate has. It has been very, very extensively studied," he said.

Of the more than two dozen top herbicides on the market, glyphosate is the most popular. In 2007, as much as 185 million pounds of glyphosate was used by U.S. farmers, double the amount used six years ago, according to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) data.

Comment

Here's a youtube video explain the vinegar formula

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASVf5ong0c"]Vinegar 101 - Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Dang, I did not know that about Roundup. I have used it under trees and in flower beds, and it never affected the trees nor the future growth of flowers.

Thanks, Charles for the Dr. Dirt video; that answered my questions about vinegar. I have read Howard Garrett's stuff for years. He is a Pittsburg, TX native.

Comment

I make his Garret Juice and my garden seems to love it.

Comment

Tagged for later

Comment

While your out there pour grits on any ant mounds. It will kill them all forever and you won't ever have fire ants again.

Comment

Working...
                              X