Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #1
CWendling
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman County
Default School me on tractors in E Texas

I grew up on a ranch with no trees and hay meadows. My dads a JD man, so we ran 80-100ish HP cabbed green tractors to mow, bale, some box blading roads, and general work. Wife and I are now looking at buying 50-100acres in east texas. Something maybe 3/4 wooded with some meadows (wont be haying or anything). Tractor will be for small food plots, mowing, maybe a bit of roadwork when needed and general tractor tasks. Im thinking something in the 30-35 hp range? Bucket for sure. Smaller tractor to maneuver between trees. Are cabbed tractors hard to maneuver in the woods? Kind of leaning toward an hydro tranny as well. Never having bought a tractor before, seems theres not a huge difference in price between new/used and lots of new ones finance 0%. Thoughts/recommendation on those who have leases/places in east texas?
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

50-100 acres I would go 50-75hp minimum and skip the cab.

There are only 1 or 2 months of the year that I wish mine had a cab, the rest of the year a cab would be in the way or just get the windows knocked out by limbs.

4x4 and FEL are essential
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
CWendling
Eight Point

why 50+ if not planting more than an acre or 2?
Old 04-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

50hp minimum. I passed on the cab when I bought mine, lots of trees=broken windows.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

I have a kubota 70 hp with canopy, didn’t go with cab because of trees and being able to maneuver around them. Even with that size and loader I have to be careful when driving. One suggestion is go with maybe a 50hp, you can never tell when you might need that extra hp. 50-100 acres is good size place. One thing that will come in handy is a grappler for picking up trees etc., pulling out brush, nothing like pushing over a tree and latching on with grappler and be gone with it. I don’t know what brand you like, but right now Mahindra makes good tractors at a good price. If I was going to buy a new one I would look seriously at them. I bought my kubota in 2015, but wanted and bought a 2014 because 2015 and up had believe it or not California emissions systems, I still don’t get that one. Good luck!
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
J-Carp
Ten Point

look at united ag and turf in Navasota. They advertise tractor packages with up front pricing. I got mine from there last year at 0%. If you're not going to be running the tractor for hours on end day in and day out I would recommend open station in the 45-75 hp range 4wd.

1) A cab will get banged up working around trees. more hassle than its worth.
2) take the 4-5k a cab cost and put it towards a bigger tractor.
3) JD 5000 series from the 45 to the 75hp i believe are all on the same frame. point being youll physically have the same size tractor for the 5045 5055 5065 and 5075.
4) youll be happy with a 55 or 65 i think. plenty of tractor to do my day to day tasks around the land which does not include haying.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Learjet
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico, outside of villa union, Mertzon, tx

I’ve had my jd for 8 years, unbelievably reliable. Smaller 30hp I think, 4x4. 10 acre tract
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
CWendling
Eight Point

Im not stuck on any brand. My dad was JD only, im not that picky ha. For the next 10yrs or so (when I retire) it will primarily be hunting land. We will likely move to it after retiring.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

I have a JD 5103. I believe it’s 50 horse-power. The number of acres is irrelevant really... a lot of east tax land is timber or wooded and you won’t really do anything to it. I don’t hay either (that’s a totally different requirement). I honestly can’t recall ever saying... I wish I had more HP.
Anvilheadtexas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #10
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWendling View Post
Im not stuck on any brand. My dad was JD only, im not that picky ha. For the next 10yrs or so (when I retire) it will primarily be hunting land. We will likely move to it after retiring.

A pretty solid piece of advice was first offered up by our late Jaspro and I agree.

Up to 100hp go Kubota. 100hp and up go Deer.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #11
redfishted
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

I have a 75 Horsepower Kabota and like the above post said most manufacturers put 50, 60 and 70 hp tractors all on the same frame so you get the same size tractor just different horsepower. I have a cab on mine I spent most of my life mowing on a tractor without a cab and I’ll never do it again if I don’t have to. And I will disagree with the last post, if you work your tractor hard, every day you’re gonna say I wish I had more horsepower.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #12
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I have about 30 acres, much of it twice thinned pine plantation with several acres of hardwood mix and several acres open.
In that terrain, anything over the compact tractor size would be too big.
I have a Kubota L3200 with loader and 3rd function with a grapple. I highly recommend the hydrostatic, and 4WD, and grapple. The 4WD and hydrostatic will get, or keep you out of a lot of trouble. The grapple is the handiest thing I've had. No cab for me. Life is tough for a woods tractor.
I think you can get up to around 46 HP in the same size chassis.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #13
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

I have 51 acres in Deep East Texas and a Kubota MX5100 DT 4x4. I've never said I wish I had a smaller/less horsepower tractor but every once in a while I do say I wish I had a bit more horsepower. Agree with above, 4x4 & FEL are both a must. I got a good deal on a used DT or I would have looked at a hydro. My plan is to buy a bit larger tractor as a retirement present for myself when the time is right. With the current economy, we'll see how/when that works out.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #14
scarecrow
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk Co.

I have 34 hp kubota 4x4 fel and only have 1.5 acres and a deer lease. I will be getting more hp 50-60 hp probably. 34 hp is not enough. Go with 50-70 you’ll be glad you did.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #15
Kossetx
Eight Point

I have lots of woods with trails through them and open pasture also. I thinking a combo of large and small to be the best route. I have a 45 hp and it's too small for hay and mostly too big for the woodlands. I'm going to sell what I have and buy a 75 or so 2wd tractor/loader and a 25hp 4 wd loader to do what I need. I run a 7' shredder on my current tractor and that size mower is the problem in the woods. I may just keep what I have and run a smaller shredder along with the bigger tractor for pasture work.
Kossetx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #16
Big Lee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

When buying a tractor ask yourself, “What would Tim Allen do?” Yup, more HP. 4x4 and as many attachments as you can get!!
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #17
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I have two tractors. One is 48 HP and the other 52 HP. The smaller one doesn't have hydraulics so it is basically dedicated to mowing. The larger has a bucket and has served me well for 18 years. I even use it for some farming. No cabs for me. It would really limit where I can use a tractor.

If you ever intend to move large round hay bales, those smaller tractors won't have the weight to move the larger bales. I sure wish that I had a larger heavier tractor for lifting stuff with the loader. Big tractors ride better, have better traction, and will just do a lot more chores than the light ones. I really want something like a 4010 or 4020 for the heavy work and I'll keep the 5205 for chores and mowing.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 06:47 AM   #18
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

My 32hp Kubota is great in the woods and mowing....bigger ones need more room and weigh mire...sink
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #19
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

go with as much HP you can afford and trailer yourself. Next go with reliability and availability of parts because things WILL break.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #20
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

We maintain 350 acres here in east Texas and our main tractor is a 45HP Mahindra. There are sometimes I wish it was a little larger but 90% of the time itís just right for what we do when it comes to mowing, food plots, etc. We donít use it for a lot of dirt work since we have a skid steer and a backhoe as well. The only thing I will highly recommend based off ours is I wish it had wet lines front and rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #21
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING
Default tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
My 32hp Kubota is great in the woods and mowing....bigger ones need more room and weigh mire...sink
More weight to tow/and bigger trailer too..

But sometimes bigger are cheaper than 30/40 class..

Cabs are +++ ir you in Killer Bee country...Been there done that

Last edited by cva34; 04-10-2020 at 07:58 AM.
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #22
J-Carp
Ten Point

I will add this. My FIL has a JD 5103 thatís 55hp. It has a FEL and is 2wd. I have a 55hp 4wd with FEL. if you have a FEL you are wasting money by not getting 4wd. You will not be able to use all your HP without 4wd. I can easily lift, push, pull more than he can just by flipping on 4wd.

I tell you this because I was dead set on 2wd to save money when looking for a new tractor last year. FIL talked me into 4wd. I couldnít thank him enough for that. And donít think you wonít use it because you donít work in the mud. I find uses even in dry weather for it such as heavy loads on the FEL or using the box blade or disc.

I think you could go without hydro tranny to save money. If you have the money sure get it but I do t have it and even during hay stacking season I donít find it a major in convenience.

I would rather spend money on quick attach implements.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #23
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I will add that there is nothing level on my place. I keep it in 4WD all the time and sometimes have to use the diff lock too. The Kubota is heavier than some other compact tractors and my rear tires are water filled. I can't go fast on my place due to hog damage.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #24
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

50 hp will be perfect with a canopy. Go 4WD because East Texas likes to stay damp. Shoppa Tractor in Liberty sells John Deere.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #25
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

For what your going to be using it for a 30-40 hp 4x4 is what you need to mow, plant your food plots and level roads. I had a mihindra 4500 4x4 for my 137 acres the only problem I had were not enough to reach to unload the top bales of hay off 18 wheelers. I bought me a mihindra 6075 4x4 cab with ac and heater and I love it. You don't eat dust when shredding and sure is nice putting out hay when it's freezing and don't have to worry about hitting a hive of killer bees.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #26
Farmdog
Ten Point

Bee hive areas, you need a cab or bee suit
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #27
friscopaint
Ten Point

I have 30 acres mainly pasture with scattered trees. I spray, mow pasture and till 2 acre patch. I have a 40 hp LS 4x4. Dual rear remotes and FEL. 900 hrs so far done nothing but fluuds and filters. I use 6' implements and boomless sprayer. Mines shuttle shift which for my use is better or maybe I'm just used to it

Last edited by friscopaint; 04-10-2020 at 09:23 AM.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #28
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I've got a 5055 JD with FEL and the "power reverse"... Whatever you get, especially since you mentioned you'd like to go hydraulic or hydro-static, get the power reverse option on the JD. Don't know what it's called on any other brand, but that will give you a hydro-static drive tractor and its WONDERFUL... you can go from full forward to reverse without ever touching the clutch! just shift the power shifter from forward to reverse. It's a Godsend for mowing and maneuvering in the woods. I like this size frame too. It's big enough to do some serious work (like if you ever wanted to work round bales or use the FEL/Front Forks for lifting deer stands or other heavy loads. Yet it's small enough to maneuver in the woods. 4WD is a must also. The FEL is almost useless without it. I bought a package deal at Choppa's in Liberty. They had the best pricing on a package deal. Talk to Russell Mooreman. He's a good guy, a hunter and knows what he's doing. The 5055 is a 57 horse with 39 horsepower at the hydraulic PTO... Nice tractor.

Having made my personal recommendation, I would add that all the major brands are good tractors (I'm must partial to JD Green ). The most important factor to me and what I'd recommend is go with the brand that has the best dealership nearest you. When you have trouble, it's good to have a dependable dealer nearby. I was lucky in that I have a good JD dealer and a Kubota dealer almost equidistant from me. I picked color over anything else... Heck I bought a cultivator from www.everythingattachments.com and when it came it was "Case Yellow"... I painted it JD Green before I ever assembled it!!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get, but I'd say, your dad probably is a good reference for which one!

Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 04-10-2020 at 09:26 AM.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #29
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I bought a 45hp 4x4 Mahindra in 2013. Iv used and abused it for 7 years and its never gave up. For the price they're hard to beat. Compare tractor weight and lift capacity vs price. Also look at the nearest dealer or even visit several different brand dealers and see how they are just incase you do have to use them.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #30
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

Went thru the same process several years ago. I have a small place (3-1/2 acres) but have several timber company leases that I wanted to put in and maintain foodplots, keep the roads up, and mow where needed. Ended up getting a 28hp Kubota 4wd with FEL and hydrostatic transmission. So far have been pretty happy with it- I think if I had gone much bigger I would have had problems maneuvering in some of the small areas where I have put in food plots. Sometimes when working on the roads I wish it was bigger but otherwise it has suited my needs. I can't imagine trying to maneuver a tractor with a cab underneath some of the low hanging limbs I deal with.
Russ79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #31
BGlegal1
Four Point

Hunt In: Liberty County, Polk County

I have 50 acres in Polk county. I have 2 tractors both Massey Ferguson: 35 hp open station and 60 hp cab with 3rd function and a grapple. The smaller tractor spends most of its time in the barn. Most of the time I don't need to work close enough to the trees for the cab to be an issue. When it's 102 degrees in July & August I can mow, move brush etc. without breaking a sweat or getting covered with grass and dust. For what I use it for the 60 hp is plenty. The other thing I'll say is I'm not sure how I lived so long without a grapple.
BGlegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #32
J-Carp
Ten Point

All this grapple talk is making me want one. Lord knows Iíve been on the pallet forks struggle bus moving brush
Old 04-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #33
scooter66
Nubbin' Buck

I just bought a used 70 hp Kubota, 4x4 with FEL.
Was not looking for a tractor with a grapple but came with the tractor.
After a month a recommend everyone get a grapple for their tractor.
I have brush piles everywhere now waiting to burn.
scooter66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #34
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

My 2 cents from owning land .. I would suggest getting something you can pull a bat wing mower with.. 15 ft mower will keep your cab out of just about all the trees.. the first time you mow over a Hornet or bumblebee nest you will wish you had a cab.. not to mention all the dust you breathe in when its dry..look at the weight of each brand in the same horse power and buy the heaviest tractor you can if you are planning to pull a plow.. heavier tractors are also smoother to ride.. I tried to buy a do all tractor when I bought my land but ended up with 3 of them .. I loved my 110 horse new holland.. tractors should only be 4x4 and have a fel...
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
Lip
Ten Point

I highly recommend 3rd function and a grapple. I have an Everything Attachments grapple and Iím pleased with it.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #36
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

I strongly recommend a quick attach for the 3 point ... i just bought the Imatch for my 3038,, itís a life changer.
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #37
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Kubota M6040 with a cab. I trim my trees so broken windows is not an issue. A little over 60 hp and a 6’ shredder or disc works well. I have 80 acres here at home and a 350 acre deer lease that I mow trails and roads on, and plant food plots on. I would never go any smaller and would never go back to open cab, two wheel drive, or no FEL.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #38
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
I strongly recommend a quick attach for the 3 point ... i just bought the Imatch for my 3038,, itís a life changer.

ABSOLUTELY!!! It's a game changer if you use a bunch of different attachments.
My FEL also has a 1 pin pull to switch from bucket to forks.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #39
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Kubota M6040 with a cab. I trim my trees so broken windows is not an issue. A little over 60 hp and a 6í shredder or disc works well. I have 80 acres here at home and a 350 acre deer lease that I mow trails and roads on, and plant food plots on. I would never go any smaller and would never go back to open cab, two wheel drive, or no FEL.

60 hp will pull 8í shredder all day and will actually mow a little wider than the tires so you can mow next to stuff.

I did it for years on 45
Old 04-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #40
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Very few times will you hear somebody say. “I need to sell this tractor it’s just to big and powerfully”. For me 4x4 and a front end loader is a must. I use my loader more than anything and will never have a tractor without one.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #41
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora

50HP, no cab, FEL, and film the back tires with water or buy the weights!
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #42
crumrw
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
I agree with this post. Have a 45hp, 2wd, FEL and it is a pain around trees. My 32hp 4x4 kubota is perfect to get wherever I need to go, and for the most part just glides over that gumbo black mud.
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #43
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Iíve got a 6105D JD itís 105hp and I wouldnít go smaller, I like to finish things quickly. Iím shredding down at the lease now.
Attached Images

RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #44
CWendling
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Iíve got a 6105D JD itís 105hp and I wouldnít go smaller, I like to finish things quickly. Iím shredding down at the lease now.
How do you pull a batwing mower and 105hp tractor inside east texas woods?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #45
CWendling
Eight Point

Kinda surprised how many folks run big tractors in the woods. The places weve been looking at are pretty heavily wooded. I was wondering about the cab and limbs. Thanks for the advice. Now to decide how much I can afford to buy. Definitely cant buy anything new over about 35hp. Does a grapple run off of the FEL hydraulics or need additional line to open/close the jaw?
Old 04-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #46
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
How do you pull a batwing mower and 105hp tractor inside east texas woods?
Very carefully, lol

You might need a push mower
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #47
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Kinda surprised how many folks run big tractors in the woods. The places weve been looking at are pretty heavily wooded. I was wondering about the cab and limbs. Thanks for the advice. Now to decide how much I can afford to buy. Definitely cant buy anything new over about 35hp. Does a grapple run off of the FEL hydraulics or need additional line to open/close the jaw?

Grapple requires additional hydraulic remote.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:53 PM   #48
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Grapple requires additional hydraulic remote.
Yep, that's the "third-function" remote I mentioned. I bought mine made by WR Long along with the grapple and installed it myself. There's an electric switch on my FEL hand grip that controls the opening and closing.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #49
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post
Yep, that's the "third-function" remote I mentioned. I bought mine made by WR Long along with the grapple and installed it myself. There's an electric switch on my FEL hand grip that controls the opening and closing.

Grapple can also run off a std remote if your not set on having the thumb button like me.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #50
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

You will appreciate a cab when you shred over a big nest of ground hornets. Don't ask how I know
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top