No announcement yet.

Stolen Valor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I'm the OP. Person in question wears a Veteran hat (like one you can buy at gas station) and has airborne tats on both arms. We got to talking about concealed carry and I asked him what sidearm he carried in the service and he said he never carried a sidearm....because "only sergeants did" "cause we were in tanks". That stuck me as odd....I thought most combat soldiers had sidearms and why is an airborne dude in a tank (I have not been in the armed services...so forgive me if I'm off base on my assessments) so I got to questioning a few other things he said. So I was trying to figure out if there was a database somewhere I could check.

Comment

OP. Navigate this with a Vet you know. If he is even 10 percent legit and gets called out by a civi it could get real ugly. Most non vets would still have his back against you. He is most likely former service over exaggerating his standing in the world. But he probably is a vet. I wouldn’t call him out honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
        Hey guys, I'm the OP. Person in question wears a Veteran hat (like one you can buy at gas station) and has airborne tats on both arms. We got to talking about concealed carry and I asked him what sidearm he carried in the service and he said he never carried a sidearm....because "only sergeants did"
        It is true that a sidearm is only used by certain soldiers in certain roles. Sometimes it is only medics/sergeants/officers/guard duties. It also depends on commanding officers- some may strive to get as many or their men pistols as possible and others see it as a waste of time.

My point is...the fact that he didn't carry a sidearm doesn't prove he wasn't in the military. If he didn't even know what sidearm was standard issue to the Army when he was serving though then yea that would be strange.

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
          It is true that a sidearm is only used by certain soldiers in certain roles. Sometimes it is only medics/sergeants/officers/guard duties. It also depends on commanding officers- some may strive to get as many or their men pistols as possible and others see it as a waste of time.

My point is...the fact that he didn't carry a sidearm doesn't prove he wasn't in the military. If he didn't even know what sidearm was standard issue to the Army when he was serving though then yea that would be strange.
          what about the airborne/tank deal? really just curious for my own edification

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
            OP. Navigate this with a Vet you know. If he is even 10 percent legit and gets called out by a civi it could get real ugly. Most non vets would still have his back against you. He is most likely former service over exaggerating his standing in the world. But he probably is a vet. I wouldn’t call him out honestly.
            wasn't planing on calling him out....just trying to get a gauge on the BS meter

Comment

wasn't planing on calling him out....just trying to get a gauge on the BS meter
              It sounds very high. Only he could prove it with his DD214. You will have to ask him for it though. I don’t believe they sre public record.

Comment

i have no idea about how one can be in an airborne unit and a tank...I was in the british military...BUT.... the tank reason is weird since armored unit guys in the UK are MORE likely to be issued a pistol and a short barreled rifle due to...being in a tank lol.

Comment

Stolen Valor?

Airborne is really just a school in most cases. Lots of people go to airborne and never jump again after that. He could have just got a school slot based off a bunch of different scenarios. I haven’t talked to very many tankers but the ones I have had sidearms as a primary weapon. In units I was in only squad leaders carried a side arm and sometimes vehicle gunners would carry one or a shotgun. They seemed to help with traffic/crowd control better than larger weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by tonyt79; 03-13-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt79 View Post
                    Airborne is really just a school in most cases. Lots of people go to airborne and never jump again after that. He could have just got a school slot based off a bunch of different scenarios.

Yep, airborne is just a school anyone can go to and they keep a lot of class slots set aside as incentives for performance/ reenlistments.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sidearm, different times had different requirements.

Sent from somewhere

Comment

First unit I got to, a cavalry unit mostly full of tankers and scouts, had an old operations master sergeant who had his jump wings with a mustard stain, meaning he had made a combat jump, and his combat infantryman's badge, CIB, with star meaning he had been awarded the CIB in two conflicts.

Turns out he was a tanker who dropped into Panama with the 82nd. They still had the Sheratan, a small air drop tank, but didn't take them. So they assigned all the crews to the HQ companies of the other units and sent them. When they got rid of the Sheratan he wanted to stay with the 82nd so he converted to infantry. He got his first CIB in Desert Storm and his second in Iraq.

As far as sidearms go, it's hard to tell. That is determined by the MTOE for the unit type but those change and depending on when he was in and what unit he was with could be very different from today.

Comment

This can go two ways...
                        You can call him out and you’re right or you can call him on it and you’re wrong. Either way, it’s a big risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          First unit I got to, a cavalry unit mostly full of tankers and scouts, had an old operations master sergeant who had his jump wings with a mustard stain, meaning he had made a combat jump, and his combat infantryman's badge, CIB, with star meaning he had been awarded the CIB in two conflicts.

Turns out he was a tanker who dropped into Panama with the 82nd. They still had the Sheratan, a small air drop tank, but didn't take them. So they assigned all the crews to the HQ companies of the other units and sent them. When they got rid of the Sheratan he wanted to stay with the 82nd so he converted to infantry. He got his first CIB in Desert Storm and his second in Iraq.

As far as sidearms go, it's hard to tell. That is determined by the MTOE for the unit type but those change and depending on when he was in and what unit he was with could be very different from today.
                          wasn't a guy named 'godfrey' was it? i have a friend with that exact military history

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                            I served in the one and only USMC. We absolutely did not have service numbers as other people have also attested to here. Things change all the time. I didn’t wear tricolors or have black boots. Does that mean I didn’t serve?

All I’m getting at is saying someone didn’t serve because they don’t have a service number is spreading misinformation. If someone tried that crap with me, we’d discuss it outside.
                            Calm down buddy, this ain’t that serious...I didn’t wear tricolors or black boots either. I got out October 2017, and I’m 26 years old if that’s a sign. Look on the back of your ID card. There is a DOD ID number. Mine was 1457660428, this is different from your benifits number on the back of your ID card also. We too used our social for everything but we’re still assigned a service number.

Also, I never said you or anyone else didn’t serve...period. Take a breather, it’s all going to be okay, I promise!

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                              No but I was always curious as to what they replaced the 2 weeks of Basic/Boot
                              that was spent shining boots with? More waxing floors or something more outdoorsy like picking weeds out of the rocks. 😂
                              Lmao, I’m not an “old corps” guy but this is still funny.

Comment

You can creep their name on google and see if any past addresses are the addresses of a military base.

Comment

Working...
                                X