Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas
Default Rookie LEO runs from gunfight

Not sure if this was posted, search came up empty.

Apparently, 3 officers went to a call when two rookies fled when shots were fired. The suspect later died of his wounds.

Do you think these guys need to be charged instead of just fired?
Thoughts?

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...0y-0Xile5qOIA/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bloodstick; 03-07-2019 at 08:55 PM.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Veteran Sgt is still alive. The guy who was shooting at them is dead
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Veteran Sgt is still alive. The guy who was shooting at them is dead

My bad, i must have mistaken the article. Good to hear the sergeant lived through it

Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post

Apparently, 3 officers went to a call when two rookies fled when shots were fired. The veteran officer later died at the hospital.

Thoughts?

Sarge got the job done. The 2 millennials were apparently brought up lacking testicular fortitude. Whatabuger is hiring boys.......
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Funny we were talking about this very incident today at lunch with 5 vet officers and one rookie in training.

Academy does not teach one how they will react in a real hail of crap. I had one female rookie cradle up in a fetal position at a stand off with a guy shooting. I kept yelling at her to draw her weapon and seek better cover.

She quit the following day.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Yep they need to go find another line of work. It’s all cool being a Leo till it’s time to do real Leo stuff.
sharkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
ACbob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty

Read "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. It's an eye opener.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #8
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbob View Post
Read "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. It's an eye opener.
I love Grossman he is a bonafide bad azz. Tried getting him as guest speaker the last 2 yrs for Backing the Blue event. He stays booked up though.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

It ain't for everybody. Another reason to respect those that can.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

I would probably run too.
6.5 shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
tvc184
Pope & Young

I have worked with maybe 6 officers that were fired for cowardice and none were even for shooting incidents. All were sent home during the shift. Once an officer shows an act of cowardice, he/she is not sent back out to complete the shift and endanger other officers or the public.

There are lots of areas of training that may get multiple chances to correct mistakes. Cowardice is one and done.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #12
UltraMax
Ten Point

Everyone wants to be a lion until it’s time to do lion sh*t.

Glad they were fired. Won’t put up with that crap. They needed to be taken off the street.

Nothing worse than being in a fight and your cover is just standing there letting you get your *** kicked.
UltraMax is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #13
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

You never know what folks will do when chit hits the fan.

The couple bad situations I was in it was always the folks you never thought would that cut and ran/hid.

txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #14
325to1195
Four Point

Hunt In: Chireno, TX

Unfortunately it's more common than you'd think. Alot of these younger folks wanna play dress up and drive around to be seen, but lack what it takes to do the job outside of writing soccer moms for illegal u turns.
325to1195 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #15
firemanjj82
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325to1195 View Post
Unfortunately it's more common than you'd think. Alot of these younger folks wanna play dress up and drive around to be seen, but lack what it takes to do the job outside of writing soccer moms for illegal u turns.
It's not just LEO either. Firefighters, too. When it gets hot and dark, they'd rather be elsewhere.
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #16
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325to1195 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjj82 View Post
It's not just LEO either. Firefighters, too. When it gets hot and dark, they'd rather be elsewhere.
Contractors too. When the Taco Truck pulls onto a job site, the young guys run to Panera Bread and get some Broccoli Cheese soup, while us veterans get the Mystery Meat Taco Deluxe. They just don't make guys like they used to.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
bloodstick
Ten Point

Pretty solid replies. I feel the same way yall do. There is no place for that in police work

Old 03-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #18
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Absolutely, fire them. I'm a patrol Sgt. and would make sure that they went home never to return if they responded in that manner. You're either a sheep dog or not. On a side note, we're going through a big transition from veteran officers to brand new guy with the growth of our agency. Its been eye opening to say the least. There are a lot of great people out there, just gotta find the right ones.
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #19
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Never been in involved in a 31 10-60
laredoarcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #20
scott123456789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lone Camp, TX

My understanding is there is no legal obligation for the officers to engage in a gun fight. But fully fireable for not following department expectations.
scott123456789 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #21
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

nothing will pucker you up like the sound of a bullet flying past you, there's no way to really train for that. you never know how someone will react until they are in that situation.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #22
smithb164
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Contractors too. When the Taco Truck pulls onto a job site, the young guys run to Panera Bread and get some Broccoli Cheese soup, while us veterans get the Mystery Meat Taco Deluxe. They just don't make guys like they used to.
Epic
smithb164 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 11:19 PM   #23
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Man if the ole velvet elvis was still in play you'd have a stack of em.

Classic.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #24
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

I have seen a guy fired for cowardice. Needed to happen. I always told the boots....it may be that both of us are getting the crud kicked out of us but you better not run and your better not quit until we are done.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #25
longhorn_cop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.

Wondered how it would end up.
Good on the chief
longhorn_cop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 02:52 AM   #26
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by laredoarcher View Post
Never been in involved in a 31 10-60
In a what?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:55 AM   #27
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123456789 View Post
My understanding is there is no legal obligation for the officers to engage in a gun fight. But fully fireable for not following department expectations.
There is almost no legal obligation to do anything in any job. The only obligation is to comply with an employer’s rules.

Running from a fight isn’t......
Old 03-08-2019, 03:29 AM   #28
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraider View Post
Absolutely, fire them. I'm a patrol Sgt. and would make sure that they went home never to return if they responded in that manner. You're either a sheep dog or not. On a side note, we're going through a big transition from veteran officers to brand new guy with the growth of our agency. Its been eye opening to say the least. There are a lot of great people out there, just gotta find the right ones.
We recently lost about 40 officers of 127 in a little over two years and with it about 800 years of experience.

We are now facing what most other employers are facing in today’s job market including in the private sector. There has always been a generation gap but this one seems to be different.

When I started so many years ago, we wore our hair different, we listened to different music, we hung out at different places and so on. It was obvious that we did not exactly fit me in with the older guys. The older and more experienced officers did not like us rushing into things getting them involved when they would rather sit back and only get involved in any serious issues. For the most part it has always been like that. We all shared the common feelings of wanting to be police officers even though we saw the world through different eyes.

Now.... not so much.

We have some very good young officers. As you say, the tough part is finding them. It used to be that almost all rookie officers wanted to ride the night and evening shifts. They wanted to work the weekends to be involved in the fights, the chases, run with lights and siren and act like kids in a candy store. Now (and I am not exaggerating) the day that many new officers get cut loose from training they put in a letter to go to day shift and want weekends off and get frustrated when they don’t get it. It is hard for me to grasp the concept of wanting to be a police officer yet seeming want no part in the job.

Again, we have some dedicated and very good young officers that are every bit as enthusiastic as we were so long ago, completely inexperienced but can’t wait to get into the fight.... it is harder and harder to find them.

Maybe it is time......
Old 03-08-2019, 04:06 AM   #29
Tiger
Ten Point

i was shot at numerous times i didnt have a gun i was scared to death im no police officer no armed force guy or a crook i was just just a young boy looking for nookie funny how fast you can run thru the woods in the dark when ya have to.....
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #30
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Oh yeah, wouldn’t wanna leave the smoke eaters out of the thread. I’m sure things get down right hard when the lights go out in the shower, when someone accidentally trips over the massage chair cord and unplugs it or when someone else beats your high score on call of duty. I’d wanna run away too once I came to the realization that rain can do my job.
UltraMax is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #31
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
Oh yeah, wouldn’t wanna leave the smoke eaters out of the thread. I’m sure things get down right hard when the lights go out in the shower, when someone accidentally trips over the massage chair cord and unplugs it or when someone else beats your high score on call of duty. I’d wanna run away too once I came to the realization that rain can do my job.

Lmfao
eastxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:13 AM   #32
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

Yep, happens in the military as well.

I had one sergeant who could PT with the best of them, and was a hard-charger in training, crying crocodile tears in my office begging not to be sent “outside the wire”.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #33
Tyrex750
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

Correctional officer is on top of the list
Tyrex750 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #34
jsctx84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
We recently lost about 40 officers of 127 in a little over two years and with it about 800 years of experience.

We are now facing what most other employers are facing in today’s job market including in the private sector. There has always been a generation gap but this one seems to be different.

When I started so many years ago, we wore our hair different, we listened to different music, we hung out at different places and so on. It was obvious that we did not exactly fit me in with the older guys. The older and more experienced officers did not like us rushing into things getting them involved when they would rather sit back and only get involved in any serious issues. For the most part it has always been like that. We all shared the common feelings of wanting to be police officers even though we saw the world through different eyes.

Now.... not so much.

We have some very good young officers. As you say, the tough part is finding them. It used to be that almost all rookie officers wanted to ride the night and evening shifts. They wanted to work the weekends to be involved in the fights, the chases, run with lights and siren and act like kids in a candy store. Now (and I am not exaggerating) the day that many new officers get cut loose from training they put in a letter to go to day shift and want weekends off and get frustrated when they don’t get it. It is hard for me to grasp the concept of wanting to be a police officer yet seeming want no part in the job.

Again, we have some dedicated and very good young officers that are every bit as enthusiastic as we were so long ago, completely inexperienced but can’t wait to get into the fight.... it is harder and harder to find them.

Maybe it is time......
Current selection process is running some of those guys your looking for off...
jsctx84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #35
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

How about the 27 year old still living at home with his parents? He needed to go andnil glad the Sgt took care if it.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #36
firemanjj82
Ten Point

Quote:
Not me. I don't work for Frisco.
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #37
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Everyone wants to be a lion until it’s time to do lion sh*t.

Glad they were fired. Won’t put up with that crap. They needed to be taken off the street.

Nothing worse than being in a fight and your cover is just standing there letting you get your *** kicked.
You left out the ace beating before they turned in the uniform

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #38
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

My middle boy is a cop. I have to talk to talk to him everyday, just so I know he is OK.
Don't know how you LEO's do it! Prayers for you guys EVERYDAY.
Thank you.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #39
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

The town I grew up in had some officers that were not really cut out for serious law enforcement work. They were good at writing speeding tickets, not much more. For a while there, some locals it turns out, decided to rob some local places, armed with shotguns. I think they hit the HEB first, shot up the store, shooting displays ect. Did not actually shoot at anyone. A girl I knew back then worked at HEB, she said she was sure she recognized one of the guys. Well when the call of a armed robbery came in at the local PD, they all too off to the other side of town, claiming that they also got a call for a senior citizen having a heart attack. So all seven of them took off way out of town the other way away from HEB, which was only 1/2 mile or so from the police station.
A week later the one bank in town right across from the HEB got robbed by two guys with shotguns. Again the police all took off out of town the other way, to a call for a senior citizen having a heart attack. But not all left for the heart attack, some stayed at the police station, because they claimed someone had let the air out of their tires. So instead of grabbing guns and ammo and running down the road to the bank, they just stayed at the police station.
Eventually the guys were caught, turned out they lived back behind HEB. When they robbed HEB, they left tracks across the plowed field behind HEB and a trail of bills. The foot prints and trail of money went straight to a small poor neighborhood on the other side of the field behind HEB. I would guess the FBI and or the sheriffs department came in and helped figure that one out and arrested those two.
Our local law enforcement back then was a bit of a joke, those two armed robberies proved it. Nobody got fired over either of the events that took place, when either armed robbery call happened.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-08-2019 at 08:17 AM.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #40
az2tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
I found this hilarious, thx
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #41
billythefish
Four Point

Alot of issues such as these could be solved with a more stringent selection and training process.
There is a reason special forces units are selective by nature.
billythefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #42
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythefish View Post
Alot of issues such as these could be solved with a more stringent selection and training process.
There is a reason special forces units are selective by nature.
its a catch 22. more and more departments are reducing requirements right now just to broaden the applicant pool. required college hours are being reduced, less time on the job required for lateral transfers, more emphasis on military experience are a few.

we have lost a bunch of guys over the last 2-3 years, for various reasons, and are about 9-10 guys short on a 90 man department, may not sound like much but when you figure that most of the holes are in patrol, thats 8-9 spots missing out of 40-45. we have had to rotate veteran guys out of specialized units and even just implemented a hybrid 10/12hr shift to help, and its not really helping.

people just dont want to be cops these days. i cant even count the number of rookies we have had come through over the last 5, 6, 7 years or so that cant make it past their first adrenaline dump.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #43
billythefish
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
its a catch 22. more and more departments are reducing requirements right now just to broaden the applicant pool. required college hours are being reduced, less time on the job required for lateral transfers, more emphasis on military experience are a few.

we have lost a bunch of guys over the last 2-3 years, for various reasons, and are about 9-10 guys short on a 90 man department, may not sound like much but when you figure that most of the holes are in patrol, thats 8-9 spots missing out of 40-45. we have had to rotate veteran guys out of specialized units and even just implemented a hybrid 10/12hr shift to help, and its not really helping.

people just dont want to be cops these days. i cant even count the number of rookies we have had come through over the last 5, 6, 7 years or so that cant make it past their first adrenaline dump.
That's a tough one for sure
billythefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #44
Filletem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I would probably run too.
I'm assuming you left off the CM in your handle.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #45
Kdurham
Ten Point

My 17 year old wants to be a cop and would love to go on a ride a long if someone can help. We are in a Mansfield, but could go somewhere on the DFW.
Kdurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #46
6.5 shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filletem View Post
I'm assuming you left off the CM in your handle.
Heck no, I shoot a mans gun. A 6.5x284 Norma
6.5 shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #47
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraider View Post
Just my curiosity here.
Does your department require a college education to apply? Dont most these days?
Fire and police departments seem to be going this route instead of just finding good people who would like a good job. The education requirement seems to be weeding out a lot of good talent.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #48
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Quote:
I've been in quite a phew firefights, but when your talking about fire I would rather go the other way. Hats off to all you guys in the fire department.

Last edited by Rakkasan2187; 03-08-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Rakkasan2187 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #49
KoonceCrushed
Four Point

Hunt In: Virginia, Maryland, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post

Apparently, 3 officers went to a call when two rookies fled when shots were fired. The suspect later died of his wounds.

Thoughts?

I know Bill, he is an awesome Cop! That's about as common sense as you get!
KoonceCrushed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #50
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
I've been in quite a phew firefights, but when your talking about fire I would rather go the other way. Hats off to all you guys in the fire department.
Me too brother I would rather be shot then burned.
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top