Shootin shack build. 5x8 Box Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shootin shack build. 5x8 Box Blind

I feel like contributing. Go easy if you see an issue. I’m only an amateur carpenter.

Basic build outline.
    - 5x8 outer dimensions, 6-6’6” tall
    -Treated floor 2x6 base setup as skids
    - Treated 3/4 ply floor
    - 2x4 Wall Framing
    -1/2” ply outter walls
    - flip up windows.

Base is done.
    Waiting on my dewalt batteries to recharge and I should knock out most of the wall framing today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir. In

Comment

Started in on the front wall. Sides walls coming up. Can’t set the window height just yet, gotta get the chairs.

Oh yeah. Cold beer [emoji1303]

Comment

Looks solid already.

Comment

Any reason you didn’t got 6x8 since that ply comes in 4 foot sheets?

Comment

No particular reason.
            This stand is an expansion off of my 4x6 and 2’ wider was more of a concern than 2’ more front and back. Only other plus side to going 5’ was I know it’ll fit on more trailers.

I did pencil whip the paper work and it would have cost me a little more wood to go 6 but it wasn’t much if I recall right. At the end of the day I’ll have my plans if anyone wants them. So far everything’s been plug and play without any winging it.

Comment

I have a 5x8 and it is a good size for me and a couple boys.

It is 5x8 because the pressure treated 2x10 that forms its base came from the kids sandbox that I converted into a blind along with some cut-off steel fence posts left over from a fence project which decided how tall it would be.

Still the only blind on our lease that has yet to get blown over, lol.

Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Walls are up. Still gotta finish tying them all the way together but they stand. The wife wanted to see it up before she left for work so I humored her.

The front will have two 36x10 windows and each side will be 48x10

No windows in the back side at the moment but they’ll be able to be added later if the stand placement changes. I actually like my stands to not have rear windows.

Last edited by SwampBuck; 08-01-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Reference pics.
                  I’m 5’8” give or take a hair.

Comment

That should last a while! In for plans and a material cost if you have it.

Comment

I will have it actually.
                      I’ll make adjustments for the minor things that were done on the fly but the overall plan is the same.

I’m responding while on beer breaks. I do gotta pace myself otherwise I’ll haul but and try to fly through it and either mess up of just ruin the enjoyment

Comment

Started on the roof rafters. Actually copied another members design I found after I did some searching around on here.

Comment

You building a cabin or a deer stand? That thing will last forever, good job. I see a lot of stands built with 2x4 framed walls and no doubt they will be strong. However, every deer stand we have built has been framed out of 2x2s with 2x4 floor joists.

Comment

Nice build, that sucker will weigh a ton but will last forever.

Comment

I’m just more familiar with working with 2x4’s honestly. So I went that route.
                              I’ve never worked with 2x2’s

It’s been awhile since I sat down and budgeted a blind build but thinking about it now there’s a lot of “well for x amount more I can go this much wider or this much heavier” sooner or later a fella just draws a line.

I’ll snap a pic in the morning, but before I called it quits tonight I got the roof on. Windows and finishing is about all that’s left.

Comment

Working...
                              X