No announcement yet.

Why do people kill themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a neighbor recently kill himself - his wife was severely bipolar and was awarded a large settlement due to prescription injury. He took good care of her, was always in a good mood, took care of paying the bills and even hired my kids to do work around his lakehouse. One day she went south and took him off the bank account. He called the cops and told them what he was about to do and where to find him and pulled the trigger. He was christian too but living with her ended up something he couldn't do anymore. Circumstances can break a person a lil everyday till the straw that....

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
      I have terminal cancer. Never even consider taking my own life. It has to be a severe state of mind illness with no cure. I reckon it can be controlled through medicine if properly diagnosed and treated.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
      I'm with you. It has to be a mental problem. No person in their right mind would do this very selfish, cowardly act. I don't know of a person that offed themselves but I know it happens. People who committ suicide are weak minded in my opinion.

Bakin7005, May God Be With You. Take care and stay strong.

Comment

I don’t know why they do. I don’t see animals doing this. I find it disturbing that they feel the need to show it on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First, to the OP, I'm sorry for your loss. Suicide is such a horrible thing as it leaves so many asking "why" and "what could I have done".

I think the reason people commit suicide is different for each person however, I think those reasons all fit into a similar category. Depression as a result of trauma, their life feeling out of control due to trauma/various events... that sort of thing.

I have PTSD, it began during my 1st deployment in 2003. It wasn't diagnosed but I look back and all the signs were there. I redeployed less than a year later in 2004. In February 2006 I was a trigger pull away from ending it all. I was drinking excessively. I was on some cocktail from the VA (they were wholly unprepared for what was to come) and my life was spinning out of control. I'd lost my job, was facing charges for 2 assaults, just random events where I lost it, I ended my engagement with my fiancé (my wife now). It was all trauma based. I couldn't escape the mental anguish/imagery, two specific events really. But, it spilled over into my day to day life. I was ready to end it but I chickened out, thankfully. I called a buddy who showed up and also called my Dad who drove 6 hours through the night to me.

I can completely understand how people get to that point of hopelessness but, that does not mean I agree with it or think it's the solution. I've lost more friends to suicide then I lost oversees. The brain is the most complex organ in our body, we've got to rid the stigma of mental health and make the act of seeing a therapist okay. You're not less of a man/woman if you see a therapist/counselor. There are some amazing therapists out there who can give you the tools to turn your life around.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            in my opinion, one of the common factors of people who commit suicide is they don't have a strong enough relationship with the Lord. He will NEVER turn his back on you, and the Lord will never give you more than you can't handle. Sure, life is tough at times, but it ALWAYS gets better through prayer and support from family, friends, and loved ones.
            AMEN!!! Blake

Comment

When I was 16 my best friend had a girl break up with him, he went straight home and shot and killed himself. That's been 30 years ago and it still haunts me. He was just a kid!
              I work in death investigations now, suicides are common. There are many different reasons. Infidelity, finance, terminal illness, mental illness, abuse, pending criminal prosecution, etc. I've seen it in in all walks of life, extremely wealthy to homeless on the streets. I've worked a few that have done it right in front of their children. It's terrible, suicide sucks, but dang..... drive down the road and get away from your kids. Those cases anger me.

Comment

Help is available
                Speak with someone today
                988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
                Hours: Available 24 hours. Languages: English, Spanish.
                The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is a United States-based suicide prevention network of over 160 crisis centers that provides 24/7 service via a toll-free hotline with the number 9-8-8. It is available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress.

Comment

Most of the cases are from people dealing with depression and usually have mental illness. We may never understand, but Jesus will be our attorney or righthand man during the day of judgement in front of our lord. He knows our battles. The lord is forgiving and a loving father.

Comment

Best piece of advice I’ve gotten in awhile has come from this thread…….

If your wife cheats then murder her and then count to 3 so you can change your mind before turning it into a murder/suicide. Go to prison and do your time. Then when you get out you can find yourself a new wife that will never even think about cheating on you because you murdered the first one that pulled that **** on you.

I had to read it twice to make sure I read it right the first time.

Comment

I've posted this here before, but I survived a suicide attempt in 2000. I can say that there are some great thoughts here, and some terrible input.

I never planned or thought I would do what I did before the very moment I did it. I was a traveling Christian musician at the time, spending about 250+ days of the year leading worship in various church settings. Parts of my life - living as a 22 year old on the road, in hotels, mostly alone - had gotten very disorienting and lonely. I'd recently gone through a rough relationship that seemed like it was going to ruin everything I'd been working towards for a few years as well as ruining many lives of those who loved me. In the moment, I truly believed what I was doing was BEST for everyone. Call it what you want, but I genuinely thought anyone who I was related to or tied to was worse having me in their life. Selfish wasn't my thought in the moment. I'd grown far from the Lord, and felt alone and helpless with no hope left.

Once I woke up, I had a totally different outlook... but man, those moments when I got to that place were scary, and I can't explain them other than to say some folks just get so desperate that nothing else makes sense.

All I can say for those of you who genuinely care and are ever concerned about someone you love. MAKE SURE they know that they're never too much of a burden. Make sure they know you love them and always will. Do your best to remind them that you NEED them in your life. Maybe the most important aspect for us men is this: freaking quit acting like counseling is for weak people. It saves lives EVERY SINGLE DAY!
                      I've struggled occasionally with depression since that day 22 years ago, particularly with some health issues I've had in the past 5 years) but never like I did that day.

God bless all you guys dealing with this in any manner.
                      Last edited by BowVista; 08-16-2022, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowVista View Post
                        All I can say for those of you who genuinely care and are ever concerned about someone you love. MAKE SURE they know that they're never too much of a burden. Make sure they know you love them and always will. Do your best to remind them that you NEED them in your life.
                        Glad I read to the end of this thread. I was about to post pretty much the same thing you said above. All I would add is what others have already said, and that is to share Jesus with them too. Jesus saves...it's not just a cool thing to say!
                        His divine intervention kept me alive when despair had taken its toll on two seperate occasions. When I have a little more time to type it all out, I'll come back here and share them.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything we do as humans is a "mental" thing. Some folks just are not wired the same as others, some get their wires crossed, you never know. I've lost a couple of friends who both shot themselves, one of a fiance leaving him the other over a girl friend leaving him.

My Dad's best friend committed suicide, Dad said it was a permanent problem to a temporary situation.

I remembered this poem about suicide and how there really is no making sense of it.

Richard Cory
                          By Edwin Arlington Robinson
                          Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
                          We people on the pavement looked at him:
                          He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
                          Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
                          And he was always human when he talked;
                          But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
                          "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
                          And admirably schooled in every grace:
                          In fine, we thought that he was everything
                          To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
                          And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
                          And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
                          Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                            Best piece of advice I’ve gotten in awhile has come from this thread…….

If your wife cheats then murder her and then count to 3 so you can change your mind before turning it into a murder/suicide. Go to prison and do your time. Then when you get out you can find yourself a new wife that will never even think about cheating on you because you murdered the first one that pulled that **** on you.

I had to read it twice to make sure I read it right the first time.

Yes, I also thought that was great advice

Comment

This is a thought provoking, haunting question that could lead to multiple known and unknown answers. Circumstances dictate situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                                Everything we do as humans is a "mental" thing. Some folks just are not wired the same as others, some get their wires crossed, you never know. I've lost a couple of friends who both shot themselves, one of a fiance leaving him the other over a girl friend leaving him.

My Dad's best friend committed suicide, Dad said it was a permanent problem to a temporary situation.

I remembered this poem about suicide and how there really is no making sense of it.

Richard Cory
                                By Edwin Arlington Robinson
                                Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
                                We people on the pavement looked at him:
                                He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
                                Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
                                And he was always human when he talked;
                                But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
                                "Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
                                And admirably schooled in every grace:
                                In fine, we thought that he was everything
                                To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
                                And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
                                And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
                                Went home and put a bullet through his head.

Pretty deep. Thanks for posting. You know any back story to it? Context?

Comment

Working...
                                X