No announcement yet.

What I know about calling coyotes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a guy to do when the rain is probably going to keep him home this weekend..

There's a foxpro crossfire under there. I got tired of sounding like a rabbit but looking like a call and it waving around a woodpecker..

No guarantees out there. But i got a Wild Hare.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
      What's a guy to do when the rain is probably going to keep him home this weekend..

There's a foxpro crossfire under there. I got tired of sounding like a rabbit but looking like a call and it waving around a woodpecker..

No guarantees out there. But i got a Wild Hare.
      That ought to work. Anything moving sure catches their attention. I can't wait to get out and call up some yotes and hopefully win some predator calling tournaments when they start up. I saw a good sized coyote two days ago. Little does he know he hunts rabbits where i hunt coyotes.
      Last edited by okrattler; 10-22-2015, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        I called in over 40 coyotes last Winter and none came in from downwind. I can't remember ever calling in and killing any that have came in from downwind,which to my knowledge has only been a handful. But the ones that did caught my wind and high tailed it out of there. I've had plenty catch my wind while calling at a crosswind instead of calling with the wind in my face. That's when you gotta shoot them on the run. The name of the game is to keep them from catching your wind. The way I see it is if you're calling downwind (where they're trying to get) the game is over before it starts. They'll wind you before you see them.
        I'm not sayin there ain't guys that call them in from downwind. I just ain't one of those guys. Never had any luck doing it that way.

As stated way back on page one, scent is a big part of coyote hunting. If you smell like hot garbage, they are going to smell you. Mature coyotes circle down wind to detect any danger. Young dogs tend to ignore the wind. Coyote's sense of smell is better than deer.

......and nothing is set in stone. Hunt what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
          As stated way back on page one, scent is a big part of coyote hunting. If you smell like hot garbage, they are going to smell you. Mature coyotes circle down wind to detect any danger. Young dogs tend to ignore the wind. Coyote's sense of smell is better than deer.

I just choked a little when I read that....good info in this thread an lots of stuff to try next time out

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post

I agree. But in my experience just smelling human will send a coyote running. I've watched coyotes circle downwind. But I try to set up in a way that I can bust them before they hit my wind. A coyotes nose is way good. You can fool a deer with cover scent but in my experience not with a coyote. If they catch a whiff of human scent they're not coming in or stepping in a trap. But like you said what works for one person might not work for another. Whether its land layout or whatever the case may be. All I know is during a coyote calling tournament around here nobody wants to watch the downwind side of a hill because they won't get much trigger time.

Comment

What I know about calling coyotes.....

So the past two times I've gone out something accidentally happened and I still called in a fox...
              My preset 1 is pup in distress
              Preset 2 is fox in distress

I was in areas where I know there's fox so that's what I was calling to. I accidentally hit P1 (pup in distress) on two separate occasions then immediately hit P2 and shortly thereafter fox came in

Coincidence? Or did the quick pup distress then fox distress bring the fox in thinking the two were fighting... Idk

Thoughts!?

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
                So the past two times I've gone out something accidentally happened and I still called in a fox...
                My preset 1 is pup in distress
                Preset 2 is fox in distress

I was in areas where I know there's fox so that's what I was calling to. I accidentally hit P1 (pup in distress) on two separate occasions then immediately hit P2 and shortly thereafter fox came in

Coincidence? Or did the quick pup distress then fox distress bring the fox in thinking the two were fighting... Idk

Thoughts!?
                My best guess is they came in out of curiosity. I've had raccoons come in to grey fox and raccoon fight and there ain't even any grey foxes around here. Sometimes critters just get curious and come check it out. Same for snowshoe hare in distress. I've called in coyotes using that sound and they've never even seen one of those around here. They don't know any different.

Comment

Had a weird thing happen tonight. Now I am very inexperienced in calling coyotes... I set up in wheat fields calling towards a really brushed in pond where I've seen a really nice coyote several times. Never saw any but when I turned off the call around 25 minutes, there were coyotes calling all over the place! there were atleast three different groups... I sat there for awhile longer and tried some coyote howls and what not but they never came in. Ever heard of groups start howling after turning off a call or was it just random timing?

Comment

And should coyotes up here in North Dakota like the same calls as back home in Texas? We have cottontails and some form of big ol jackrabbit...

Comment

I've had groups of coyotes yippin and making all kinds of racket right before and right after I started calling. Its frustrating when you don't call anything in when it happens because you know they had to of heard you. But it does happen and all I know to tell you is to keep trying. As long as you don't hear one barking you're alright. I've had that happen before too and that's a sign to go try a different spot because that yote ain't coming in. They should respond to the same distress sounds. Unless they're pressured alot then you might try something different. I'm not sure what kind of call you use but I like to use a howler and a distress call both. I do an interrogation howl right before I start calling. One long howl to catch their attention. Its not a threatening howl like a challenge howl. Its just to let coyotes in the area know another "coyote" is in the area. I believe it increases my chances of getting a response. If I'm calling for cats I don't. I don't think it would necessarily matter but I prefer not to just in case it might cause a bobcat to become leary of coming in.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 11-02-2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

for a fun week end and a lot of fun check out lone star varmint tournament, put together by a bunch of good guys and the pay out is out of this world lots of raffle stuff and door prizes.

Comment

Cat down! 12 minutes! That's record time for me. Lighting Jack on low for 6 minutes then bay bee cottontail at 75% volume for 6 minutes. She was sneaky, only got in to within 50 yards of call and sat down to check the area. She stood up and started walking away so I put her down! Would have never seen her if I hadn't been elevated on this particular stand!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448213042.775182.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	24416722
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448213056.036464.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	24416723

Comment

That's a nice cat! Most I've called in haven't came in that fast. The quickest I've ever called one in was around 2 minutes. I wish they'd all come in like that.

Comment

Lots and lots of good stuff here. Tagging it for later

Comment

ttt

Comment

Working...
                                X