Wisdom teeth. Keep or remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wisdom teeth. Keep or remove?

Oral surgeon's advice welcomed here. I have a very tough decision to make.

I have no problems with my wisdom teeth. They are sideways and up against the 12 year molars, but aren't growing, moving. Right now, everything is fine. A guy my dad went to high school with told me that I was not needing to get them removed. "Leave them right where they are, they aren't hurting anything," he would say every 6 months.

Well, he died, so I have to go see a new dentist. I've been to Mint Dentistry and two other private practices, and all three dentists have told me I need to get them removed.

Finally after being told to leave them by my original dentist, Mint telling me to remove them and I refused, then a 3rd dentist telling me to remove them, I went to an oral surgeon. During the consult, he took his xrays and said "I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. They aren't moving, they aren't causing pain, they'd leave a huge hole in your jaw and it would be susceptible to breaking, not to mention it's highly risky due to the location of the root next to the nerve. It's not worth the risk and you would hate me the rest of your life."

I was confident that my decision to avoid getting them taken out and the advice of my first dentist was correct. I had made the right decision.

Well, dentist number 4 comes along, I really like this guy, and he says I need to go to an orthodontist due to a cross bite and some other stuff that will get worse if I don't get it corrected. So I go to the orthodontist and he says he can't really work on my teeth as he has no real estate. He also warns me that they'll end up killing the 12 year molars and I'm going to be losing those teeth later in life. He recommends a 2nd opinion from an oral surgeon in Arlington. This guy seems very good - Dr Ismaili. Very confident.

Ismaili has recognized everything that I've said previously and agrees this is a risky procedure. He acknowledged that there is a "20% chance of nerve damage that could be permanent." (The type of nerve damage is the same feeling of the novacane injections when you get a crown. Imagine that for the rest of your life. I'm 31.) The longer I wait, the more likely my nerve will be damaged and will not recover.

So what would you guys do? Ortho is a good friend and is praying for me. He doesn't know what he'd do and agrees it's a tough call. He said if I were his son, he would suggest I do it.

Doing it now is the least riskiest, but there's a significant 20% chance I have a numb lip the rest of my life. Doing it later increases the risk dramatically. Surgeon said 35% chance at age 40. So it's more likely to happen but my lifespan is shorter. Not doing the surgery poses the risk of losing multiple teeth and forcing the removal, thus damaging the nerve.

Guys, I'm lost on this one. There's a lot of negatives that could happen. I don't want to end up slobbering all over myself the next 50 years.

My wife has hers. If no problems I would leave them.

Comment

80% chance there is no problem, if done now. i am going with the guy that thinks of me like a son....do it now.

Comment

Here's something to consider. What's the typical risk in any wisdom tooth surgery? When I had mine pulled, I remember them telling me there was a chance for permanent nerve damage, I don't remember how much of a chance though.

Also consider that stem cell therapy can probably fix the nerve damage. I have no idea what it takes, and by no means am I an expert, but I am hearing more and more about stem cells and all the stuff they fix. Might check into that.

I would start with those two things, then make my decision after that.

Comment

52 and I still have mine that are also in sideways. Dentist I saw for about 40 of those years said not to mess with them. I think the new generation likes to make as much as they can so they can retire early! :-D

Comment

I had one of mine pulled due to it growing outward and I could really brush the outside very well, or get my tongue back there. It ended up getting cavities. Still have the other 3 and dentist hasn't suggested removing them. Same dentist recommended my wife have all of hers surgically removed. The surgeon removed 2 and started on the other 2, but stopped. Said they were up into her sinuses and might cause more damage by removing them. Sounds like yours may be a different case, since they're crowding your other teeth. My suggestion would be to take the advice of the dentist/surgeon you feel most confident in.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have extraction scheduled for June 24th. Was told 17 yes ago to leave them that they weren't bothering anything and plenty room to come in. Well they are all in and 1 is perfect up and down. All others are sideways pushing on my molars. I did have pain about 3 wks ago on one of them. Not so much the tooth but the gum around the tooth. Based on X-Rays everything looked good but the gum line. I'm 33 and have 32 teeth in my mouth. Dentists said they all look good however he wants to remove my wisdoms. I sometimes think it's just a way for them to make some money. I went ahead and scheduled the extraction however I am debating on whether or not to proceed. In reality I will probably get it over with now while I have insurance that covers it 100%.
              Last edited by Antlers86; 05-24-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

If they are not growing or causing a problem now, leave them alone. Get regular checkups and remove them when/if they start to move. Had a dentist tell me I needed some serious dental work 30 years ago, second opinion said wait and watch. Still watching, hasn't been a problem yet. Seeing a lot of dentist wanting to do work that's not needed yet.

Comment

I was in a similar situation at about the same age. Dentists (military and civilian) wanted them gone. Since they didn't bother me I kept telling them nope......until I woke up one morning thinking that someone was trying to drill them out through the top of my head. After an emergency appointment at the oral surgeon and several thousand dollars I was kicking myself for not having them removed sooner.

When they are fine, they are fine. When they go south you will be one miserable SOB.

Comment

Leave'm

Comment

I am not a expert, I was told when I was probably 21 that my wisdom teeth needed to be removed. I was told again, when I was 26, that they were going to need to be removed. That they are laying sideways and have not come through the gums. That this is supposed to some how cause all types of problems. I was told my face should be numb, that where my teeth are, they should have pinched off a nerve or nerves and my face should have been numb long ago. Maybe that's why it does not bother me when I get punched in the face. I just thought those guys could not hit very hard.

I was told I would need oral surgery to have them removed, it was going to take a long time to remove all of the teeth and be expensive. Sounds like a lot of fun, I really did no want. So until I am in unbearable pain, I am not going to get them removed.

I don't have any problems, that I know of and have not had any problems, that I know of, as a result of the way those teeth grew in. I am 50 now. I don't plan on having anything done with them. But everybody is different, so I definitely can't say what your situation is. More so, since I am not a medical expert on the subject. Just my personal experience.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's input. There's a lot of figuring I need to do. The cost of the surgery isn't an issue, it's only $600 for the three. Then I'd have to wait until 2020 to have a 2nd surgery to get the fourth, which isn't as close to the nerve. I'm praying quite a bit. This just bothers me to no end. I'm someone who feels confident in weighing pros and cons, but in this instance, I am having a lot of trouble. While I understand 80% of the time I should come out just fine, it's the severity of the 1 in 5 chance of having a numb lip for the next 40 years that bothers me. Not to mention if I factor in that 10-20 years from now new technology could exist that makes this procedure have even less risk than there is now. Or, as WItoTX said, look at stem cell research.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                          I was in a similar situation at about the same age. Dentists (military and civilian) wanted them gone. Since they didn't bother me I kept telling them nope......until I woke up one morning thinking that someone was trying to drill them out through the top of my head. After an emergency appointment at the oral surgeon and several thousand dollars I was kicking myself for not having them removed sooner.

When they are fine, they are fine. When they go south you will be one miserable SOB.
                          Me too, at 37 years old. The pain was pretty extreme.

It was hell getting an appointment too because they stay booked up in advance with high school age kids.

Comment

I was sent to see an oral surgeon about my wisdom teeth. Mine are in, they are straight in caused me no pain or any other issues. The dentist told me it would make it easier to work on the other molars (sounds a lot like your “real estate” comment). When I saw the oral surgeon he said that they do not pull teeth that do not have a problem or to make it easier on the dentist working on the molars.

Would you go to a surgeon to have your appendix removed if you didn’t have appendicitis?

Comment

Literally just got out of wisdom surgery an hour ago. My upper wisdom tooth had a cavity that was rotted to the nerve making the pain terrible. They talked to me and the next second I was out. Woke up to the surgery being done got all 4 removed cause I did not wanna go back. Walked out on my own and feel decent right now just a little bleeding. Mine were not causing any problems as well but that one with the cavity. My concern was I have high bloos pressure and the side effects of being put under with high blood pressure are concerning but that pain was way worse. I say do it if you can swing it. I already feel better than I did

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X