X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump let's keep this one on the front page at all times

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
      what size are you getting your chestnut trees?
      I get my chestnuts from Chestnut Hill in Fla. They are bare root whips ~ 2' tall. I've had fairly good success with them once I learned to cage them . I put standard sleeves on the first batch and the deer destroyed them and the plastic sleeves.

I have some 2 and 3 yr olds plus some just planted this fall. None bearing fruit yet but I'm keen to see what they produce.

Comment

impressive as usual Mr. Rusty

Comment

There have been lots of requests for the video I mentioned. I hope it met expectations. The last couple of weeks have required lots of travel and it is possible I missed someones request. If you asked for a video and it wasn't received please let me know and I apologize in advance for the delay.

Appreciate also that I am about to wrap this thread up and head south. It's been fun and I have enjoyed the interaction with everyone.

Comment

Are you charging for the video?

Comment

wow Rolling Stone is a hoss!!

How old do you think he is? Whats the plan with him?

Deer of a lifetime and LF

Comment

Rusty,

I sent you a check. Also, thanks for the video. Amazing deer and ability to let deer walk and die of natural causes. I showed it to my dad this weekend at the ranch. I hope it registered. Also, I left it in the DVD player as his partner is headed up this week with his family. Hopefully they watch it too and think about what they are doing. Thanks again. How often do you make one?

Comment

Also, I wanted to ask about the deer that the shed belonged to that was laying on the coffee table. The typical 8x. Is that deer still alive? Does the other side match? I've never seen a typical with that many points....ever.

Comment

Just read this whole thread and could not be happier with the way I just spent my time... Super awesome.

Comment

Without retrieving the quotes I'll answer a few of the questions:

Rolling Stone is 6 my best guess. He was actually a 12 pt last year. He's safe for the rest of this yr. If he gets any bigger..like 1/4"... he will probably be my target buck next yr.

I have been making video's from the ranch for probably 12-13 yrs. First ones were on VHS for those that remember. This is the first yr I've tried to make one for general audience. I have a huge archive of HD video with some incredible bucks, hunt scenes for giants, and cool ranch stuff. Generally just shared with family and buddies that know the ranch.This yr. was a test to see if there could be a broader interest.

The buck on the coffee table was a perfect 8x8. Never saw him after the yr he shed that rack. I think lions got him. Easily high net book deer.

Comment

[QUOTE=elgato
                        Rolling Stone is 6 my best guess. He was actually a 12 pt last year. He's safe for the rest of this yr. If he gets any bigger..like 1/4"... he will probably be my target buck next yr.

Now this sounds like something I would say! Lol

Comment

Great time of year on the farm. Here are pics of a 2 yr old Dunstan Chestnut and an orchard of Japanese Persimmons. The persimmons are at the entrance to the farm and of course the bucks are doing all they can to destroy them .
                          Attached Files

Comment

^^^thx for pics elgato

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              Great time of year on the farm. Here are pics of a 2 yr old Dunstan Chestnut and an orchard of Japanese Persimmons. The persimmons are at the entrance to the farm and of course the bucks are doing all they can to destroy them .
                              Can you give us info on when to plant, how much they cost, and recommendations on the permisson trees? heard deer love them

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                Here's one for those that like wide deer
                                You are killing me posting pics of the wide deer!!

I love those wide old Mexico bucks! Great pictures and thanks again for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X