Plant ID...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant ID...

Saw a guy harvesting these for the little yellow flowers...kinda smells like honey lemon to me... was seeing if y’all knew what it was... all over the place by Canyon Lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Agarita. Once berries ripen they make great jelly!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ yep

Comment

Yep, agarita and it's in full bloom right now

Comment

Y’all are good...found some good info thanks
          A blog is about the wild edible and medicinal plants of Texas and North America. It is run by chemist herbalist Dr. Mark Merriwether Vorderbruggen.

Looks like whole plant can be used...leaves for tea and inner yellow wood shaved down added to vodka

Comment

Never made tea, but I made agarita Jelly from the berries 3 years ago. Really good, but a considerable amount of work.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMe View Post
              Never made tea, but I made agarita Jelly from the berries 3 years ago. Really good, but a considerable amount of work.

I went ahead and stripped the flowers going to mix it with some leaves to see how the tea is.. I found the trick was to pick while holding branch upside down

Comment

Leaf shape is a dead giveaway on this one---

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                  Leaf shape is a dead giveaway on this one---
                  Trifoliate ish... three leafed...hence M. trifoliolata.

I never knew of its edibility. Thanks for sharing this Danimal and enjoy the “medicinal” vodka!

Comment

You can pick the smaller/tender red leaves and eat them...Tastes just like lettuce.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Trifoliate ish... three leafed...hence M. trifoliolata.

I never knew of its edibility. Thanks for sharing this Danimal and enjoy the “medicinal” vodka!

Yeah man I would like to walk around Granger with you sometime to learn a few things ..I remember you pointing out the wild spinach .. I tried looking for it this year but couldn’t pick it out.... supposedly wild carrots grow everywhere around here too just not much carrot more for the herb.

The flower tea was good ....taste like they smell..the leaves weren’t much flavor but seemed a little spicy...not worth making tea

Interesting to see what the berries taste like

Comment

The berries make good jelly and wine and the Indians used the roots for yellow dye,

Comment

Working...
                        X