Suburban whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suburban whitetails

Anyone hunt them? I have an opportunity to hunt about 30 acres and it backs up to a tremendous flood zone its in the San Antonio City Limits, anything I should be aware of?

Beware of big bucks! haha I love hunting close to the city! Sometimes you can get lucky and get into a mess of deer in those little pockets.

Comment

Thiefs, poachers, kids.... I hunt in the city also and have to watch out for these things. Also the deer are smart, u bust them one time and they catch on quick!! Good luck

Comment

Could be a gold mine.Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
          Thiefs, poachers, kids.... I hunt in the city also and have to watch out for these things. Also the deer are smart, u bust them one time and they catch on quick!! Good luck
          X2

Comment

Been hunting deer in or around towns now for a lot of years. I love hunting wilderness areas, but there's just something about tricking a deer that's just a few hundred yards from a subdivision or highway that's pretty darn fun.

I have had some great hunts within earshot of parking lots, subdivisions, etc. and enjoyed them all. Two of my best bucks (including the one in my avatar) came from stands or blinds that were less than 100 yards from my house in town when I lived in Illinois.

Things to watch out for - if you don't have exclusive access, then make sure you either hide your equipment or lock it up.

Another thing is don't broadcast the fact that you're hunting there. If other folks find out, they'll be asking the landowner for permission, or helping themselves, and pretty soon the landowner will decide it's more trouble than it's worth and tell everyone "no hunting." I've had that happen before.

Prepare to be patient and have your hunt messed up by people pulling into their driveways, or having an argument down the street, or working on their hot rod, etc. - although you'll be shocked at how many sounds the deer have learned to ignore.

One place I hunt has a train go through it nearly every hour. The deer don't even raise their heads when the conductor blows the whistle within 400 yards of them. It's amazing.

One nice thing is that if you do a reasonable job of keeping scent down, you can pretty much hunt any wind you want, since they are so used to smelling humans in the area.

John
            Last edited by Limbwalker; 10-25-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Oh, one other thing. Have a plan in place for how you plan to deal with stray dogs and cats. Especially stray dogs. I'm not saying what to do, but you need to think about it ahead of time.

Last year, I had a dog that would wander through my hunting area routinely, that is until he met one of my rubber blunts.

John

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuddy View Post
                Anyone hunt them? I have an opportunity to hunt about 30 acres and it backs up to a tremendous flood zone its in the San Antonio City Limits, anything I should be aware of?
                I would make sure it is legal to hunt within the city limits. I know some cities have rules against shooting bows within the city limits.

Comment

That sounds cool, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                    I would make sure it is legal to hunt within the city limits. I know some cities have rules against shooting bows within the city limits.
                    State law supersedes a city ordinance. Over 10 acres in city limits = nothing they can do it about it. Have fun!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Lived in San Antonio for 14 years....deer everywhere. You can really kill some great bucks in the city limits. Had several 140's that hung around our house.

Comment

Take great pains to conceal the fact you are hunting in the area or idiots will mess with you and ruin your stuff.

Comment

Several years ago I hunted on several hundred acres on the North Side of 1604 between Bandera and Military. Saw 3 deer the entire season. The bucks knew when we were there and went Nocturnal. Unfortunately, the guy that put the lease together said there were only 10 or 12 on the lease but my Buddy and I counted over 20 that had the gate combination. Just be careful and best of luck.

Doug Key

Comment

I see one nice 10pt every morning on my way to work over by Oak Shadows and 281 here in SA.

Comment

Working...
                              X