switching from a compound to recurve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from a compound to recurve?

I would really love to learn how to shoot and hunt with a recurve I've been shooting compound bows since I was 12 I am 29 now. I was just wondering how hard it is to shoot a recurve after shooting a compound for so long?

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

I have no idea since I've never shot a compound, but I do know that you're going to need a lighter weight to shoot comfortably since recurves don't have any let off. I suspect that since the aiming method is completely different, it may require an adjustment, but I suspect that except for holding the string with your fingers instead of a release, the muscles and movement are basically the same, so it may seem somewhat natural.

This is all theoretical, of course. Do you have access to a recurve?

Comment

The "Beginners Guide" sticky's at the top of this forum are a good place to start. As far as your question of "how hard is it?" , I would answer it this way. It is not difficult, it is just a matter of learning proper form from day one, and lots of practice - the right kind of practice. The very best thing you can do it hook up with some trad shooters in your area. I have found all I have crossed paths with to be very willing to help. It will also take some patience so you need to set realistic goals as far as timeframe. I bought my first trad bow around Christmas a few years ago with the goal of hunting with it the next deer season. I took some lessons and practiced probably 5 days a week and by October was confident enough to hunt as fairly close distances. (12yds was my max that first year)
      Last edited by jerp; 10-21-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

no I was thinking I would wait till the end of the season and look on Craig's list or something. how do you aim with a recurve?

Comment

I switched 2 weeks ago and shot a tournament this weekend. Think I came in dead last.

Practicing every day now. We will see...........

I got a 50lb bow and I am getting used to it pretty quickly......

Comment

I shot recurve until 9, then compound until 18, then back to recurve. You will be faced with two challenges right up front. 1) physically it's a lot more demanding than shooting a compound. A 50 lb. compound is a cinch to shoot. A 50 lb. recurve will kick your butt.

2) Learning good form, i.e. a proper anchor and alignment, is very difficult without a coach to watch you, or without studying and filming yourself to know what you're doing. This is the foundation of shooting a recurve well. Start out with a bow that's easy for you to hold for 30 seconds at full draw, then move up gradually if you want to learn life-long shooting skills with a traditional bow.

Or, you can just do what I did, and overbow and snap-shoot for oh, 15 years, and THEN finally learn the right way to shoot. LOL.

John

Comment

I love shooting a recurve. It's all I did shoot for the first 20 years of my adult archery life. That being said, I like hitting the bullseye and the kill zone even more. From time to time I pick up a recurve again, enjoy watching a few arrows actually traveling on their trajectory in the general direction of the target (something almost impossible to do at shorter distances with a compound), then when the arrow hits (wherever), my synapses click back in, and I put it down once again.

But as to getting the gist of it, you shouldn't have any real problems - especially if you can shoot with a few other trad shooters who've been doing it for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                I switched 2 weeks ago and shot a tournament this weekend. Think I came in dead last.

Practicing every day now. We will see...........

I got a 50lb bow and I am getting used to it pretty quickly......
                No, you were not dead last.

Comment

my goal would be to hunt with it next season probably after I fill my first tag with my compound

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    The "Beginners Guide" sticky's at the top of this forum are a good place to start. As far as your question of "how hard is it?" , I would answer it this way. It is not difficult, it is just a matter of learning proper form from day one, and lots of practice - the right kind of practice. The very best thing you can do it hook up with some trad shooters in your area. I have found all I have crossed paths with to be very willing to help. It will also take some patience so you need to set realistic goals as far as timeframe. I bought my first trad bow around Christmas a few years ago with the goal of hunting with it the next deer season. I took some lessons and practiced probably 5 days a week and by October was confident enough to hunt as fairly close distances. (12yds was my max that first year)
                    x2

Comment

Thanks guys some great advice here

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1234 View Post
                        my goal would be to hunt with it next season probably after I fill my first tag with my compound

If you learn good form and practice A LOT between now and next season. You will not need to fill a tag with your compound! Once you fill a tag with a stickbow, you may never want to fill a tag with your compound again!

I do not know where you are located, but getting with an experienced trad guy in your area will greatly lessen the frustration and learning curve!

Good luck,

Bisch

Comment

There are several trad guys cloe to you, get with them. Trad doc would be one of them and other than sharpening skills, he has a vast knowledge of traditional skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                            There are several trad guys cloe to you, get with them. Trad doc would be one of them and other than sharpening skills, he has a vast knowledge of traditional skills.
                            Ok, your on "The List" with Bisch and Matt!!lol I would love to help out, wouldn't take but about 5 minutes if I talked and moved slow to teach all I know.

Comment

Since Doc has been mentioned... it would be a mistake to not hook up with him

Comment

Working...
                              X