Colorado ELK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado ELK

Didn't draw for New Mexico this year so looks like we will try OTC in Colorado. Anyone have any experience with OTC in Colorado?

Be prepared to say those exact words many more times.

I haven’t hunted OTC yet, but just might this year depending on WY and CO draw results. Get in absolute tip top shape to get away from the crowds. Have the mind set that it’s going to be a crowded hunt with limited opportunity. Enjoy the experience and relish in the chance opportunity at an elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With OTC opportunities across the west shrinking, more and more people are piling into the remaining OTC units in Colorado. It’s a circus, I personally wouldn’t waste my time on it. But if you are just wanting to get in the woods then have at it and enjoy your time. People still kill elk every year, but it’s combat hunting and that’s certainly not my style. Elk don’t like pressure, so get away from people if you can. Don’t overlook smaller patches of country because it’s closer to the trailhead or road. Lots of people walk right by elk getting to a spot that looks like there should be elk in it.

Comment

I hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread, but I am looking for info on 77 and 78. I have access through private property in 78 and a cabin in the area to stay.

What is available OTC in these units? I glanced at the regs, but it was confusing.

Comment

Ya Ive been working out with a focus on cardio pretty heavily the past 4 months and will continue until the hunt. This is my first elk hunt(archery) and doing it with a buddy. So looking forward to the experience.

Comment

Most CO OTC unit’s are OTC because the terrain makes success % low. Not because they don’t have high numbers of elk.

I’ve had ample success in OTC units, I have a simple moto, Preference points don’t kill or teach you to hunt/kill elk/deer/bear etc. High PP units in reference to CO typically have milder terrain features though. Put it this way I love the negative attitudes toward OTC.

Go have fun but train accordingly
            Last edited by Texans42; 05-03-2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
              I hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your thread, but I am looking for info on 77 and 78. I have access through private property in 78 and a cabin in the area to stay.

What is available OTC in these units? I glanced at the regs, but it was confusing.
              78 is now a draw archery unit but usually has left overs but you will have to get on them quick. I grew up in 78. Great uni

2/3 rifle are still OTC. Also get a bear tag

Comment

Joe, Colorado is a great opportunity state. Use it as a learning experience but expect to be humbled. Keep applying in NM and building up points in other states and use that experience you've earned to capitalize when you do draw that trophy unit.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  With OTC opportunities across the west shrinking, more and more people are piling into the remaining OTC units in Colorado. It’s a circus, I personally wouldn’t waste my time on it. But if you are just wanting to get in the woods then have at it and enjoy your time. People still kill elk every year, but it’s combat hunting and that’s certainly not my style. Elk don’t like pressure, so get away from people if you can. Don’t overlook smaller patches of country because it’s closer to the trailhead or road. Lots of people walk right by elk getting to a spot that looks like there should be elk in it.
                  I agree with jaker. Don't get on google earth and plan on going to all the "prime" elk areas. Because everyone else will do the same thing and there won't be any elk there. Find little pockets not too far from the roads that nobody in their right mind would hunt. Maybe it is little steep or too many dead trees, or just doesn't look great for whatever reason. Elk will be there a lot of times.

Comment

Everybody in OTC wants to "go deep" to get away from the crowds, that brings the crowds deep lol... probably best Elk concentration hiding in a dark hole 100 yards off the road. Be creative.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      Everybody in OTC wants to "go deep" to get away from the crowds, that brings the crowds deep lol... probably best Elk concentration hiding in a dark hole 100 yards off the road. Be creative.
                      Or a mile out side a town etc.

Comment

Go for it, it beats not elk hunting. Be prepared to hunt different areas if your first spot is crowded or doesn't look good. I've hunted drawn and OTC units where we hunted/camped in a different spot every night trying to find them.

Comment

I've hunted otc archery for the last 3 years. I've shot elk 2 of the 3 years all within a mile from the trail head.. people walk past the Elk trying to get away from other people. .The Elk are laying up there laughing as they pass by. I try to find the nastiest climb with a bench on it close to camp get up there before the wind changes and hunt..

I'd have 4 or 5 trail heads picked out and don't be afraid to move if there isn't any fresh sign.. water helps too if you are hunting Archery . It's normally pretty dry.. There will be a ton of people everywhere you go. It's just a matter of locating the Elk .
                          Last edited by jds247; 05-03-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            78 is now a draw archery unit but usually has left overs but you will have to get on them quick. I grew up in 78. Great uni

2/3 rifle are still OTC. Also get a bear tag
                            Great info. It looks my closest private access point is in the area Echo Ditch about 5.5 miles SE (as a crow flies) from Pagosa Springs.

I have a New Mexico Archery Tag for Sept 14-19 so this might be a play for next year. My buddy's family has an awesome cabin that is NW of Pagosa Springs by about 9 miles (as a crow flies).

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                              Great info. It looks my closest private access point is in the area Echo Ditch about 5.5 miles SE (as a crow flies) from Pagosa Springs.

I have a New Mexico Archery Tag for Sept 14-19 so this might be a play for next year. My buddy's family has an awesome cabin that is NW of Pagosa Springs by about 9 miles (as a crow flies).
                              I know that access area extremely well.

Comment

Working...
                              X