Exotic Species for Ag Livestock Exemption: Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic Species for Ag Livestock Exemption: Recommendations

We are picking up an 80 acre place. Going to put some livestock AKA Exotics on it to claim an Ag exemption. I've checked the county regs, exemption percentage etc. However, that's where my knowledge of the situation ends.

It's 80 acres low fence property in Howard county. Plenty of water, grass, supplemental feed, etc. Don't want to break the bank on cost per animal and I'd like the opportunity to manage a tasty herd when needed. What species should I be looking into?

What kind of fences do you have?

Comment

What exotica can you put on low fence that would stay there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
        What exotica can you put on low fence that would stay there?
        My thoughts as well ?

Comment

Blackbuck can be kept on a low fence if they have everything. As long as they can't get through.

Comment

5 strand barbed wire.

You last 2 guys nailed a major criteria of my question. That's my question as well.

Comment

I think you would end up better doing a wildlife valuation for native wildlife and then having exotics for fun.

Comment

Yak, watusi, bison, 4 horn sheep, and cougar the last one I had would leave but she would always try to come back

Comment

I like sippy’s ideas best. Just native for exemption, and add the pest… I mean exotic to the format

Had a neighbor in Brady that barely had a fence at all. Loaded with black buck and orxy. Seen them almost every time I way opening the gate. We never once seen one on our place… thankfully
                  Last edited by Low Fence; 04-03-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I don't hate the idea of 4 horn sheep, rams etc. The cougar is not a low cost option. Those things take some serious coin.
                    Last edited by matvxr; 04-03-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think blackbuck would survive a lot of winters in howard county from the little I know about them in case that's what you had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                        I think you would end up better doing a wildlife valuation for native wildlife and then having exotics for fun.
                        Native in the county is restricted to 96%... while not awful, if im going to have exotics anyway, might as well shoot for 100%

What exotics should I be looking for, for fun?

Thanks

Comment

Raise "stocker" rams to sell the exotic harvesting operations. You'll need to add a few more strands of wire or a hot wire around perimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by matvxr View Post
                            Native in the county is restricted to 96%... while not awful, if im going to have exotics anyway, might as well shoot for 100%

What exotics should I be looking for, for fun?

Thanks
                            Will that 4% favor you since you will have to purchase exotics at record high prices?

In a low fence in your area I can’t recommend any and feel good about it.

Comment

I build in a subdivision that had an ag exemption using Blackbuck and they lost it due to the county not being able to physically see the enough Blackbuck when they came out to count. This subdivision has a very large herd.

Comment

Working...
                              X