Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Ringtails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ringtails

Never seen one on a game cam pic. Are they that bashful or not many left in Texas? Not sure if they are a meat eater. Opinions wanted.

I’ve seen very very few. And only a couple pics on camera. Cool critters. Don’t think there’s many of them and they are pretty shy.

Comment

We have plenty of them in Burnet county. They love mistletoe and get up in hackberry trees. They are almost always nocturnal. I have only seen one in the daytime which was at inks lake state park. He was more a pet than a wild one probably causing his occasional daytime apperance. They are curious creatures but very smart. As a kid when coon hunting they could skip a tree faster than anything youve ever seen. My daughters and i had a cool encounter just 2 nights about about 200y from our house on the county road. It was in a drainage pipe and it would come out, then go back in, like peekaboo with our car headlights. The girls have seen them but never this close nor for as long. Cool creatures!

Comment

Just leave your blind door open. You'll have them. Ask me how I know.
        When I bought my pace I had old blinds on the property. They all had ringtails in them.
        I have some now that poop on my back porch.
        They aren't see very often, but they are neat animals.

Comment

we have a bunch at our ranch in llano, fun to open a deer stand door at 5:30 a m and see one face to face.

Comment

I’ve trapped many of them, we used to get 10 dollars a hide. They have a really unusual smell, that makes it hard to get or keep a girlfriend after skinning them. They love rocky hill sides and in the cracks and crevices. Birds where the best bait, so I’d guess they make up a big part of their diet.

Comment

I had never seen any until I lived in Goliad County. Saw them a few times . But that was about 20 years ago. I don't know if there are many still around. They seemed to like to take up residence in old abandoned camper trailers or deer stands.

Comment

I got a camera on a trail at the lease in Melvin and I have caught one on camera a few times
                Attached Files

Comment

Another Pic
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just got this one on camera a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They’ll eat anything they can get their little paws on, not as bad as them trash pandas though. They’re here in the hill country, I don’t see them as often as I did 20 years ago. If you have chickens you’ll have ringtails around.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                        I’ve trapped many of them, we used to get 10 dollars a hide. They have a really unusual smell, that makes it hard to get or keep a girlfriend after skinning them. They love rocky hill sides and in the cracks and crevices. Birds where the best bait, so I’d guess they make up a big part of their diet.
                        This! Don’t think they like to be out in the open. They stay pretty close to cover and really see them around cliffs, rocks, etc.

Comment

I was at my doctor’s office a while back and animal control was at the entrance with a catch pole . I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was trying to catch a coon. I looked up and told him that’s a ringtail and wished him luck. I knew he’d never catch it.

Comment

Had one living in my gun stand last year. It may still be living in it. I’ve never gun hunted out of it. It’s near Del Rio

Comment

Released one from a coon cuff once. Leather gloves on but he bit hard enough I knew it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X