Roof top tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof top tents

Anyone run roof top tents in their beds of the pickup truck. Being trying to research the bars that you mount into the bed to mount the tent to and looks like there are a lot of options for Toyotas but everything else seems to be universal. Also holy how a lot of those are pretty dang expensive. If you have one what manufacturer did you use for the bed bars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s just a hipster fad.

Comment

See a lot of people carrying them around. Never seen anyone actually use one.
      Seems some just like to look like adventurists in DFW

Comment

I don't have one, I sleep in my camper shell, but everything I've read when I looked said they get pretty wiggly any time you move. I believe that considering how my my truck moves when I roll over.

Other than that, they seem pretty sweet. Here is the one I would go with if I was in the market!

https://gofastcampers.com/pages/shop

Comment

I’m going with the hipster fad thing. It’s like a pre-requisite for Spotless/No Scratches Gladiator or Tacoma ownership.

Comment

I've never understood wanting one of these. Be a lot cheaper and more room to use a regular tent on the ground.

Comment

Errybody in Denver has them.....but at least you can be in the mountains in about 45 minutes up there.

Texas ain't fun to camp in but for about 2 weeks in Texas

Comment

"Overlanding" is the technical term for this fad.

Comment

I had one mounted to a retired military trailer. Used it on a several longer hunts and a couple of trips to the mountains. It was pretty sweet. The perks of it being on a trailer is that I could leave it setup and still have the ability to take my truck places. I would NOT want to have it on my truck and have to take it down each and every morning, especially if hunting and leaving super early every day. They are pretty durable, and IMO more comfortable than a ground tent since the entire thing was basically a king sized mattress up there. Perk of being off the ground is being out of the mud if it rains, and you don't have to really worry too much about uneven or rocky terrain.

The one I had was a Smittybilt XL which is a relatively "entry level" type of tent compared to the pricing on some of the other fancier ones. Main differences are the ones that are hard shell, and maybe a bit more quick to setup and takedown. This one was pretty easy to use though, and it could take some significant wind if you tie it off in a couple of places.

Camp Wagon by Tyler Barron, on Flickr

Comment

so reason i was asking is i was given one by a family member for free so thinking it would be handy for elk hunting in colorado for easy in and easy out base camp. I think i am personally going to mount it to an extra trailer i have as i dont really want to be a hipster fad kinda guy. it is a smittybuilt also not the XL just the 2-3 person one.

Comment

The trailer idea is wayyyy more usage friendly IMO that trailer there is sick

Comment

A guide on my antelope hunt used one and loved it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a pick up bed tent. If you had to drive your truck anywhere while camping you had to fold up you tent. The top mounted tents would be the same. Mounted on top of a small expedition type trailer would be nice.

Comment

I am considering one for my 4Runner… I can “camp” in the vehicle when needed but that cuts way down on what I can have in the 4Runner….

the plan is to put it on the vehicle for know and later set it up on a smallish trailer…

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                              See a lot of people carrying them around. Never seen anyone actually use one.
                              Seems some just like to look like adventurists in DFW
                              I can't imagine you're gonna see too many people using A $3000 tent in the city. There probably in the woods lol. Although, there are quite a few tent campers in the Austin metropolitan area.

Comment

Working...
                              X